Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey y'all..

I got straight A's at my IGCSE's, and am predicted straight A's in my AS Levels (Biology, Chemistry and Physics), and am going to apply for a college in the UK for a Foundation Year. The problem is that Med Schools normally ask for an IELTS score of 7.0, some 7.5, but i got 6.5 and i've been regretting it the whole time. Do u guys thinks that they would let me in by any means cuz of my other grades, or are they harsh about English Language requirements?

Cheers.. :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fatal_Oblivion)
    Hey y'all..

I got straight A's at my IGCSE's, and am predicted straight A's in my AS Levels (Biology, Chemistry and Physics), and am going to apply for a college in the UK for a Foundation Year. The problem is that Med Schools normally ask for an IELTS score of 7.0, some 7.5, but i got 6.5 and i've been regretting it the whole time. Do u guys thinks that they would let me in by any means cuz of my other grades, or are they harsh about English Language requirements?

Cheers.. :cool:
    hmmm...you don't need to put your IELTS score on your UCAS form because you already have IGCSE english! (unless you did english as a second language).
    btw, why are you applying for the foundation year? i believe u meet the criteria for the normal programme if you continue all 3 subjects at A2 level...

ReputationRep:
    The problem is that the IELTS score should be given in a separate sheet of paper (the original document), not in the UCAS, so this is compulsary. Continuing my AS levels to A2's, or doing the foundation course, are a 1 year course each, so there is really no big difference and i already have it all organised, but the problem lies within my IELTS score (only because of a 0.5 difference) :mad:
    I'm also going to do the TOEFL exam soon because i read in several prospectuses that either IELTS or TOEFL are accepted, so i guess my only chance is to ace that TOEFL and aim for 250 or above..

ReputationRep:
    The problem is that the IELTS score should be given in a separate sheet of paper (the original document), not in the UCAS, so this is compulsary. Continuing my AS levels to A2's, or doing the foundation course, are a 1 year course each, so there is really no big difference and i already have it all organised, but the problem lies within my IELTS score (only because of a 0.5 difference) :mad:
    I'm also going to do the TOEFL exam soon because i read in several prospectuses that either IELTS or TOEFL are accepted, so i guess my only chance is to ace that TOEFL and aim for 250 or above..
    you don't need to do the IELTS or TOEFL if you have IGCSE english! so it doesn't matter what you get on either of them!

ReputationRep:
    Lol are u sure about that??, cuz i did the IGCSE English and got an A too, but i've seen all prospectuses and they included the fact that i had to do either IELTS or TOEFL..but u know, some universities like Liverpool asked for an A grade at GCSE OR an IELTS of 7.5, but i have an A grade at IGCSE, not GCSE English...so does it matter??..Please help cuz i'm in a critical situation in deciding for which 4 Med schools to apply for. Thanks..

ReputationRep:
    Lol are u sure about that??, cuz i did the IGCSE English and got an A too, but i've seen all prospectuses and they included the fact that i had to do either IELTS or TOEFL..but u know, some universities like Liverpool asked for an A grade at GCSE OR an IELTS of 7.5, but i have an A grade at IGCSE, not GCSE English...so does it matter??..Please help cuz i'm in a critical situation in deciding for which 4 Med schools to apply for. Thanks..
    yes i'm sure! coz everyone in my school did IGCSE english and no one did the IELTS...and we all got offers!! some people did TOEFL coz they were applying to american unis.
    IGCSE and GCSE are viewed as the same thing...IGCSE is just the international version....so u can apply to any med school!!
    and i think you shouldn't put your IELTS score on your UCAS form...

good luck with applications and stuff! hope you get into wherever you wanna go!

ReputationRep:
    Ahhh sounds great!!!..From which universities did u get ur offers from?..and which one are ya hopefully going to?

ReputationRep:
    Ahhh sounds great!!!..From which universities did u get ur offers from?..and which one are ya hopefully going to?
    i got offers from GKT and Manchester....chose GKT as my firm offer.

how about yourself? where are you thinking of applying to?

ReputationRep:
    Great!!..i'm thinking of applying to Glasgow, Aberdeen, Edinburgh and Leeds. Btw, if u are interested, add me to ur msn list..by email is [email protected].

It would be nice knowing each other more..

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 23, 2004
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.