strawberrypip
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
hey guys

ive gathered that it is something to do with amino acids or mrna but basically how are they made???

thanks really need help with this
username2176541
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by gertygreengage)
hey guys

ive gathered that it is something to do with amino acids or mrna but basically how are they made???

Enzymes are protein. DNA codes for something synthesis fill in the gaps....
batoot
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
hey guys

just google "protein synthesis process"
it's transcription + translation
Laurasaur
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
hey guys

A protein is a long string of amino acids joined together. The order and type of amino acids affects the structure of the protein. Some proteins are enzymes, their structure gives them a region in it called an active site. The shape of the active site is specific to the shape of the stuff it reacts with.

DNA (deoxyribonucleic acid) has sections, called genes, which hold the 'code' for the order of amino acids in a protein/ enzyme.
mRNA (messenger ribonucleic acid) is basically a messenger. It's single stranded and only the length of a gene, and a lot like DNA. It can copy the sequence of DNA and then gets transported to a ribosome to be translated into a sequence of amino acids, a protein.

Do A level biology if you want more detail :P
Transcription is where the mRNA is made in its specific sequence (of nucleotides), using DNA. Translation is where a protein is made, using the specific sequence (of codons) of mRNA.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (256)
56.89%
I don't have everything I need (194)
43.11%

Watched Threads