The Student Room Group

Can I study Japanese at GCSE?

I'm taking my exams in late May of 2016 and I want to take an extra language on top of my subjects. I'm planning on taking Japanese but I want to know whether that's possible.

I was wondering if anyone could tell me about what exact material I will need to learn so I don't miss anything, how I apply to take the exam because my school doesn't take Japanese? Plus do I need to do any coursework?

Is it possible to learn everything I need when I'll be learning myself or do I absolutely NEED a teacher? If someone could please answer this in detail I would be so happy, thank you :biggrin:
Reply 1
Uhm, I don't think 5/6 months is enough time to learn sufficient Japanese for a decent grade on top of all the other exams you'll have. You'd need a teacher most likely. You will have to do 4 pieces of coursework, 2 speaking and 2 writing.

I mean it's possible to do this but I wouldn't if I were you. There are much more important things. PLUS! It costs money!

EDIT: not sure how to apply for it, try the AQA website or any other GCSE exam board!
Reply 2
I don't really know anything about it myself, but here's some info :smile: http://qualifications.pearson.com/en/qualifications/edexcel-gcses/japanese-2009.html
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by You-got-no-jams
I'm taking my exams in late May of 2016 and I want to take an extra language on top of my subjects. I'm planning on taking Japanese but I want to know whether that's possible.

I was wondering if anyone could tell me about what exact material I will need to learn so I don't miss anything, how I apply to take the exam because my school doesn't take Japanese? Plus do I need to do any coursework?

Is it possible to learn everything I need when I'll be learning myself or do I absolutely NEED a teacher? If someone could please answer this in detail I would be so happy, thank you :biggrin:

Japanese GCSE is offered by Edexcel, all the details are here: http://qualifications.pearson.com/en/qualifications/edexcel-gcses/japanese-2009.html It is assessed by a speaking test and then 3 timetabled exams (reading, listening & writing). Your school may be willing to enter you for the GCSE if they don't think it's a waste of everyone's time, (I infer from your post that you don't currently know Japanese - is this correct?) (Alternatively, you can try to find a different exam centre (=any secondary school or college) alternatively willing to accept you as a private candidate.

If you want to enter for it then you or the centre will have to find a Japanese speaker willing and able to conduct the speaking test.

The entry deadline is 21 February.
I'm not sure but I think edexcel offers it as mentioned above ^ btw are you an ARMY? :colondollar: ignore me if you're not ..
Original post by elizaaaaaas
I'm not sure but I think edexcel offers it as mentioned above ^ btw are you an ARMY? :colondollar: ignore me if you're not ..

Sorry for not replying sooner, indeed I am an ARMY 😬
Original post by Compost
Japanese GCSE is offered by Edexcel, all the details are here: http://qualifications.pearson.com/en/qualifications/edexcel-gcses/japanese-2009.html It is assessed by a speaking test and then 3 timetabled exams (reading, listening & writing). Your school may be willing to enter you for the GCSE if they don't think it's a waste of everyone's time, (I infer from your post that you don't currently know Japanese - is this correct?) (Alternatively, you can try to find a different exam centre (=any secondary school or college) alternatively willing to accept you as a private candidate.

If you want to enter for it then you or the centre will have to find a Japanese speaker willing and able to conduct the speaking test.

The entry deadline is 21 February.

Thank you for providing me with all the information, I really appreciate it 🙂
Original post by Edosawr
Uhm, I don't think 5/6 months is enough time to learn sufficient Japanese for a decent grade on top of all the other exams you'll have. You'd need a teacher most likely. You will have to do 4 pieces of coursework, 2 speaking and 2 writing.

I mean it's possible to do this but I wouldn't if I were you. There are much more important things. PLUS! It costs money!

EDIT: not sure how to apply for it, try the AQA website or any other GCSE exam board!

Thank you for the advice but you don't have to learn the language completely to pass an exam in it.

I believe I would be able to learn the Japanese I need for the test in time because I learnt my whole French vocabulary in less than a month which is over 2000 words.

But because of the short entry date I'm going to wait to enter until I'm in sixth form and take it during my A levels. Thank you for your post though
Original post by You-got-no-jams
Sorry for not replying sooner, indeed I am an ARMY 😬

Your username caught my eye! Hahaha. I want to learn Japanese as well but I only know a few words, mainly learnt from animes. Good luck!
You have to study very very hard for it. I had to give up on Japanese GCSE in order to at least pass my astronomy GCSE. If you go on the edexcel website, there is a pdf with all the vocabulary and grammar points you need to learn as well as the spec. Also, you need a teacher that can speak Japanese so you can practice and conduct the speaking and listening test.
Good luck!
Btw, I'm an ARMY too!!!!
What is an ARMY?
ahhahaaha

Original post by Eigo-Jin
You have to study very very hard for it. I had to give up on Japanese GCSE in order to at least pass my astronomy GCSE. If you go on the edexcel website, there is a pdf with all the vocabulary and grammar points you need to learn as well as the spec. Also, you need a teacher that can speak Japanese so you can practice and conduct the speaking and listening test.
Good luck!
Btw, I'm an ARMY too!!!!

Hello fellow ARMY. :tongue:

Original post by 08procks
What is an ARMY?

ARMY is the fandom name of a kpop group called BTS! Just like how One Direction's fandom name is Directioners :biggrin:
Original post by 08procks
What is an ARMY?

fans of a south korean boy group called bts

Quick Reply

Latest