The Student Room Group

White wine recommendations

Recently developed an interest in tasting wines. I'm on a schedule of buying 1 bottle of wine per week.

So far I've tried (and thoroughly enjoyed):

- Wolf Blass Yellow Label Chardonnay

- The Ned Waihopai River Sauvignon Blanc 2014 Marlborough

Anyone got any recommendations?
Reply 1
You've had a new world chardonnay (Australian), so maybe try an old world chardonnay for comparison? French perhaps, Chablis would be a good AOC (used to be called DOC, Wikipedia will explain if you aren't sure). Chablis is may with the chardonnay grape. Not the cheapest though, expect to pay maybe upwards of £8.

You've tried a new world (NZ) sauvignon blanc, Malborough is an especially good area for it. Maybe try again an old world French sauvignon blanc for comparison? Again if you're happy with £8 or more a bottle, try a Sancerre, with is a town in Alsace which produces an excellent sauvignon blanc.

After that just try more or the main types and try to remember what you like - write down! Pinot Grigio is very popular, perhaps a German medium sweet wine, something Spanish like any of the Torres wines?

I guess the main tip is to think of the grape AND climate/region when you try to figure out what you like, as a chardonnay in one country may be utterly different to a chardonnay from another.

Quick Reply

Latest