existential
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi I am currently doing A levels in English Literature, English Language, French and Philosophy & Ethics. I would like to be an English teacher (GCSE). I enjoy all my A levels however I find English Language the least enjoyable due to how much emphasis is on grammar. So if I just did a degree in English Literature would that hinder my chances at all becoming a secondary school English teacher? Or would it look better to do a degree in English (Literature and Language)? For anyone who studies English Literature alone or with language too what is the degree like? What is the jump from A level to degree level like? What do the modules entail?
Many thanks to anyone who replies!
Snufkin
Badges: 21
Report 5 years ago
You can become an English teacher with an English Language, English Literature or English Language and Literature degree - it really makes no difference which one you choose. That said, you will be expected to teach literature so a combined degree might be your best option.The jump from A levels will obviously be substantial. All universities have detailed lists of modules and what they cover, these can usually be found on their English Department websites.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (149)
62.34%
I don't have everything I need (90)
37.66%

Watched Threads