Report 5 years ago
What is healthy?
undine_monty
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by okey)
There's nothing wrong with being confident in your body image and not seeking validation from others, but what is completely illogical is people who identify that they're unhealthy- and find it acceptable to do nothing about it.

There are many people who seem to think that being confident is a valid substitution for actually being healthy. People who are overweight who accept their condition instead of actually losing any weight, or underweight people who use excuses not to gain any.

Thoughts?
I think people just don't lose weight or gain weight if they need to, simply because its easier staying the way they are. Maybe they accept that they're not going to change and that makes them confident, being in control, I think.

God forbid you say anything that will dent this confidence though. It's body shaming and people will jump down your throat and give you grief for it.
ParadoxSocks
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I discovered the concept of self love, living with the body that I'm currently in and living unapologetically fat and dropped two stone in next to no time at all.

If you don't love your body, you'll never truly care enough to sort it out. Fat miserable people won't go to the gym because of the fear of ridicule because how dare a fat body take up space. Fat miserable people won't go outside for fear of judgement. They won't dress nicely because what's the point? They won't move because why bother? They won't learn to cook because it's easier to get takeaways delivered without seeing other people because they're a horrible fat slob, right?

Whereas I learnt to dress nicely, enjoy dancing, yoga, walking, bouncing around at shows and generally being outside and getting on with my life and then the weight dropped off without any further efforts. I'm not ashamed of my fat arse (and it still is a fat arse) so I'll happily go and play around in sight of others. I'm not wasting my life and living for the day when I'm thin because that's a silly waste of a life and stopped me from actually wanting to be healthier. And I am healthy even with my fat arse.

Body shaming helps nobody. Telling somebody they're a fat embarrassment encourages the cycle that causes the continued mindset that changing is pointless and makes people believe they aren't worth changing for. Concentrate on your own wellbeing and think about why you're so concerned about somebody else's body and the way they feel about it.
Lookingforlight
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
In my opinion if you have a strength and fitness (good stamina) then its fine.
okey
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by ParadoxSocks)
I was fat and miserable because I was fat and hated my body. I did that for years, developed an insanely awful eating disorder and then recovered, got fatter and became incredibly miserable.

I discovered the concept of self love, living with the body that I'm currently in and living unapologetically fat and dropped two stone in next to no time at all.

If you don't love your body, you'll never truly care enough to sort it out. Fat miserable people won't go to the gym because of the fear of ridicule because how dare a fat body take up space. Fat miserable people won't go outside for fear of judgement. They won't dress nicely because what's the point? They won't move because why bother? They won't learn to cook because it's easier to get takeaways delivered without seeing other people because they're a horrible fat slob, right?

Whereas I learnt to dress nicely, enjoy dancing, yoga, walking, bouncing around at shows and generally being outside and getting on with my life and then the weight dropped off without any further efforts. I'm not ashamed of my fat arse (and it still is a fat arse) so I'll happily go and play around in sight of others. I'm not wasting my life and living for the day when I'm thin because that's a silly waste of a life and stopped me from actually wanting to be healthier. And I am healthy even with my fat arse.

Body shaming helps nobody. Telling somebody they're a fat embarrassment encourages the cycle that causes the continued mindset that changing is pointless and makes people believe they aren't worth changing for. Concentrate on your own wellbeing and think about why you're so concerned about somebody else's body and the way they feel about it.
This isn't in relation to people who feel confident about their bodies and still manage to lose weight like you did, but people who think that "self love" is sufficient and that they don't actually need to be healthy in reality. Feeling good doesn't mean anything when your health will take years off your life, in which case it is better to advocate health rather than self love, and discourage being unhealthy- obviously.

Also, I don't think fat "shaming" is justifiable either.

I care about other people's well being, a quality that is very rare in this generation.
BKS
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The fat positivity stuff has some good points however it still has it's problems. Some ignore that being fat in itself is unhealthy and I've seen articles full of total BS on popular feminist sites which isn't helping anyone- like arguing BMI is BS because muscle when that's obviously not the case for them. It is a shame because they often end up sounding stupid/extreme which undermine their good points- to me it's mostly that health matters more than looks.
ParadoxSocks
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by okey)
This isn't in relation to people who feel confident about their bodies and still manage to lose weight like you did, but people who think that "self love" is sufficient and that they don't actually need to be healthy in reality. Feeling good doesn't mean anything when your health will take years off your life, in which case it is better to advocate health rather than self love, and discourage being unhealthy- obviously.

Also, I don't think fat "shaming" is justifiable either.

I care about other people's well being, a quality that is very rare in this generation.
Self love is sufficient. If you love yourself you're more likely to take a bit more care of yourself. Love yerself and then everything else comes along naturally.
okey
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by ParadoxSocks)
Self love is sufficient. If you love yourself you're more likely to take a bit more care of yourself. Love yerself and then everything else comes along naturally.
I think it stops a lot of people from taking any action which is expected.
Angry cucumber
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Fat shaming is a bad idea. Fat acceptance is a bad idea

Not getting fat in the first place is ideal. For those that are, find something you enjoy and isn't sedentary and do more of it

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (15)
25.86%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (4)
6.9%
No I am happy with my choice (36)
62.07%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (3)
5.17%

Watched Threads