Why do GPCRs loop 7 times? Watch

Scienceisgood
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hey Guys;

Well, after finishing my drug receptors revision, I understand pretty much everything except why the GPCR loops through the cell membrane 7 times.

Why?
thegodofgod
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Scienceisgood)
Hey Guys;

Well, after finishing my drug receptors revision, I understand pretty much everything except why the GPCR loops through the cell membrane 7 times.

Why?
Very interesting question!

In short, it seems that the simple answer is 'evolution', i.e. that's just how we have evolved. I read around a bit as I didn't know the answer myself, and there are some theories. It has been suggested that an odd number of TM domains allows the N-terminus of the polypeptide to be on the extra-cellular side and the C-terminus to be on the intra-cellular side of the cell membrane. The more relevant suggestion, however, is that having 7 TM domains allows structural stability and functional diversity. Although this somewhat conflicts the fact that some in vivo functional GPCRs do, in fact, only have 5 TM domains.

I thought Strotmann et al. (2011) wrote a decent (and not too dated) review on GPCRs, which is worth a read.

Ji TH, Grossmann M, Ji I (1998) G protein-coupled receptors. I. Diversity of receptor-ligand interactions. J Biol Chem 273(28):17299-17302.

Ling K, Wang P, Zhao J, Wu Y, Cheng Z, Wu G, Hu W, Ma L, Pei G (1999) Five-transmembrane domains appear sufficient for a G protein-coupled receptor: Functional five-transmembrane domain chemokine receptors. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 96(14):7922-7927.

Strotmann R, Schröck K, Böselt I, Stäubert C, Russ A, Schöneberg T (2011) Evolution of GPCR: change and continuity. Mol Cell Endocrinol 331(2):170-178.
SmashConcept
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
To add to that, asking "why" questions is not really appropriate for any discussion of evolution, so it's important to choose your wording carefully.

It's been a while, but I suppose if you imagine there were only 1 TM domain, then how hard would it be for a conformation change outside the cell to manifest in a change inside the cell? 3TM would mean there is one loop for each terminal domain to interact with and help force conformation changes to carry throughout the molecule. 5TM means there are 2 loops on each side. 7TM means there are 3.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Birkbeck, University of London
    Undergraduate Open Day - Startford Undergraduate
    Thu, 21 Mar '19
  • University of Wolverhampton
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 21 Mar '19
  • Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Fri, 22 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (73)
15.97%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (46)
10.07%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (88)
19.26%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (64)
14%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (48)
10.5%
How can I be the best version of myself? (138)
30.2%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise