Can I apply to a different university via UCAS while still attending a university?

Watch this thread
This discussion is closed.
automobile
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
So I'm currently in my first year of a course. I am not enjoying the course or the social life at the university I am currently attending.

I have seen a course at a better university in my home town that I believe would be more suited to me and where I could be happier (and both courses can lead to the same career path I am wanting to pursue)

As I'm unsure what I want to do and the deadline for courses starting in September 2016 is Jan the 15th I feel like I should just apply as soon as I can before I miss my chance and regret this.

Is it possible to apply while I'm still at another university currently? because if I didn't get offered a place at the university in my home town it would be foolish of me to have left my current course.

I'm aware I'd probably have to create a new account and I'd have to have a reference which I'd have to get from someone again I'm guessing? or maybe my current university tutor?
Badges: 5
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 6 years ago
Yes you can

Posted from TSR Mobile
Dec019
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by automobile)
So I'm currently in my first year of a course. I am not enjoying the course or the social life at the university I am currently attending.

I have seen a course at a better university in my home town that I believe would be more suited to me and where I could be happier (and both courses can lead to the same career path I am wanting to pursue)

As I'm unsure what I want to do and the deadline for courses starting in September 2016 is Jan the 15th I feel like I should just apply as soon as I can before I miss my chance and regret this.

Is it possible to apply while I'm still at another university currently? because if I didn't get offered a place at the university in my home town it would be foolish of me to have left my current course.

I'm aware I'd probably have to create a new account and I'd have to have a reference which I'd have to get from someone again I'm guessing? or maybe my current university tutor?
Helloo! I done this last year. Yes it would be wise to apply in UCAS again. So you wont feel like you missed out in anything. Get in contact with your old school and they could help you out and be a reference. I didnt like my course at all last year and wanted to go to a better course at a better university. But I had to also repeat 2 of my A levels at my old school to get my grades up. Crazy yes I know! I was on ACC and got up without any contact with my teachers to ABB and got into the course I really wanted to do, but I also had to complete the year as that is what my UCAS offer required (I was down as a transfer student).
HyperHaps
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Im also doing something similar but do I have to apply as an independent student on UCAS? Or through the current university that Im at?
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by HyperHaps)
Im also doing something similar but do I have to apply as an independent student on UCAS? Or through the current university that Im at?
You would do it independently
HyperHaps
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by claireestelle)
You would do it independently
Ah! Thank you so much! Ive been contacting everyone, but no one knew. Thanks once again!

Also, does my reference have to be from my current tutor or am I able to get one from my tutor from college?
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by HyperHaps)
Ah! Thank you so much! Ive been contacting everyone, but no one knew. Thanks once again!

Also, does my reference have to be from my current tutor or am I able to get one from my tutor from college?
Current tutor would be more appropriate
Cardiff Metropolitan University
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by automobile)

Hi Automobile

This is entirely possible, but what we ask students to do is to email us your intentions and copies of the qualifications you used to gain entry into your current university.

This way we can advise you if there re any vacancies on the stage of the course you wish to transfer into and if you meet the entry requirements before you apply through UCAS.

If you have any questions, please ask!

Thanks

Robert
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
You can apply through either. I applied independently and got my tutor from sixth form to write a reference because I didn't know anybody enough at university.

My friend applied through our sixth form but it took longer to send her application off since she wasn't in control of it.
Apple1524
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
Did you have to inform the university that you were applying for another university? If so, who did you have to inform to?
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Apple1524)
Did you have to inform the university that you were applying for another university? If so, who did you have to inform to?
You don't have to but your reference should ideally come from your tutor at your current university.

Some universities you apply to will insist on this.

Applying elsewhere doesn't commit you to leaving and your current university should be supportive of your application.
Ohnourlp
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by PQ)
You don't have to but your reference should ideally come from your tutor at your current university.

Some universities you apply to will insist on this.

Applying elsewhere doesn't commit you to leaving and your current university should be supportive of your application.
If your application is unsuccessful, would the university your currently at also not accept you for next year? I may be doing a foundation year at a uni that’s quite far for pharamcy and I was thinking to do the first year elsewhere after I do the exams again in autumn and pass the foundation year. What would my process be ?
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Sudanidoll)
If your application is unsuccessful, would the university your currently at also not accept you for next year? I may be doing a foundation year at a uni that’s quite far for pharamcy and I was thinking to do the first year elsewhere after I do the exams again in autumn and pass the foundation year. What would my process be ?
Progression on your current course is completely independent of your UCAS application.

As long as you pass the year and don’t withdraw from the course they’ll expect you to progress into second year.

However if you plan to sit the autumn exams then don’t start a degree. I have NEVER known a student successfully balance a degree course and A level exams. You’re setting yourself up to fail if you try to do both.
Last edited by PQ; 1 year ago
X
Back
to top
Latest

Y13s: How will you be receiving your A-level results?

In person (69)
69%
In the post (4)
4%
Text (13)
13%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (14)
14%

Watched Threads