The Student Room Group

Are my boring/stupid for thinking like this...

Ok so this is the situation...

I am 28 and have been with my partner for a few years. He drinks a lot.. Not everyday but when he does its a lot. His parents also drink a lot and this Christmas they have been pissed everyday (and I mean hammered)...

Now I don't drink a lot (I do have a drink but never get pissed) and they keep calling me boring, non- festive and keep trying to make me drink all the time. They all know my father was a major alcoholic and killed himself in the end due to his problems with alcohol and I always associate getting pissed with that.

So am I boring? Do you think I should get over what happened in my childhood or would that be drinking just to please him and his family?
No. If you don't want to drink them don't give into peer pressure. I don't drink alot and my friends are always trying to get me to drink more. Its very annoying, I'm not much of a drinker and I don't see the point of drinking for the sake of it.
Don't please anyone but yourself, it's admirable that you want to avoid an excess of hangovers since nobody really deals with them "properly"
Not everyone likes alcohol or the feeling of being drunk. Your father was an alcoholic. Personally, I'd be concerned about not wanting to turn out like him.
Original post by Anonymous

I am 28 and have been with my partner for a few years. He drinks a lot.. Not everyday but when he does its a lot. His parents also drink a lot and this Christmas they have been pissed everyday (and I mean hammered)...

Now I don't drink a lot (I do have a drink but never get pissed) and they keep calling me boring, non- festive and keep trying to make me drink all the time. They all know my father was a major alcoholic and killed himself in the end due to his problems with alcohol and I always associate getting pissed with that.

So am I boring? Do you think I should get over what happened in my childhood or would that be drinking just to please him and his family?

The opposite, I think they need to get help and you should probably reconsider dating the guy.

I drink, and I've been drunk plenty of times, but I've only been amnesic/pass-out drunk once, and I only drink socially. I never touch the stuff by myself, I could care less for it truthfully beyond the odd night out.

Your boyfriend and his family sound like they're going to end up in hospital, either for drunken accidents/poisoning in the near future, or alcohol related diseases in later life.
Their problem.
I don't drink a lot...
But when I do drink, I drink a lot.

http://static4.businessinsider.com/image/5499948c6bb3f74d611468d6/the-truth-about-the-most-interesting-man-in-the-world.jpg

In all seriousness, I'm the same, I don't see the point in getting pissed, you forget most of the sh*t that happens anyway. Far better to loosen up without being drunk.
Original post by Anonymous

Im not a drinker either as i usually have the car when i go out and i dont need booze to have a good night.

Your an adult and you can make your own decisions about whether you drink or not. But you are certainly not boring and speaks more of thier collective immaturity than it does of you.

Latest

Trending

Trending