The Student Room Group

University exam system

Q1) Are university exams scored relative to how well everyone does or is there a fixed mark for ongoing years for each grade classification i.e 1:1, 2:1, 2:2, 3rd, fail?

Q2) Do university exam results state how well you placed out of everyone in your class that took that exam? (I know Oxbridge does this so I'm curious if every other university follows the same system)
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by XxKingSniprxX
Q1) Are university exams scored relative to how well everyone does or is there a fixed mark for ongoing years for each grade classification i.e 1:1, 2:1, 2:2, 3rd, fail?

Q2) Do university exam results state how well you placed out of everyone in your class that took that exam? (I know Oxbridge does this so I'm curious if every other university follows the same system)

This will depend on the subject and the university. They can do it how they like.

1) At most unis 70% is a first, 60%-69% a 2:1, 59-50% a 2:2 and 40-49% a 3rd. Below 40% is a fail. It's up to the uni to determine how to dish out the marks.

2) No its not something every uni does- my old uni didn't.
Original post by jelly1000
1) At most unis 70% is a first, 60%-69% a 2:1, 59-50% a 2:2 and 40-49% a 3rd. Below 40% is a fail. It's up to the uni to determine how to dish out the marks.

2) No its not something every uni does- my old uni didn't.

Would your your university to let you see how well you performed out of the whole class/people who took that exam if you asked them? I'm sure they would still keep hold of that type of information.

I would just be curious to see how high I ranked from everybody.
Would your your university to let you see how well you performed out of the whole class/people who took that exam if you asked them? I'm sure they would still keep hold of that type of information.

I would just be curious to see how high I ranked from everybody.

I've no idea, I was never bothered asking and I'm not aware of anyone who did and I've left now.

1/ There is a fixed mark

3rd =40%
2:2 =50%
2:1 =60%
1st+70%+

There is also an ordinary degree but I'm not sure exactly how that works i thing if you fail something like 2 units you can get that.

2/ Some places will let you know (they will post results under your student number) but most don't because why would you want to know as long as you passed and got the grade you wanted or hoped for.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 6
The mark thresholds at my undergrad uni were fixed and grades were not decided by proportionality. In good years there were a relatively high number of Firsts, but I also knew a year where there was one First and more than half the cohort came away with a Third.

One of my first year modules posted the entire set of results in order, by Student ID. You could see where you came in the cohort for that one module. For all of the other modules we were given individual coursework/exam marks and our final combined mark for the module. We were never told our position in the cohort again.
Original post by Klix88
The mark thresholds at my undergrad uni were fixed and grades were not decided by proportionality. In good years there were a relatively high number of Firsts, but I also knew a year where there was one First and more than half the cohort came away with a Third.

One of my first year modules posted the entire set of results in order, by Student ID. You could see where you came in the cohort for that one module. For all of the other modules we were given individual coursework/exam marks and our final combined mark for the module. We were never told our position in the cohort again.

Ah, ok thanks but its nice to know how well you performed out the pool of students who sat the exam.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending