The Student Room Group

If your not doing a top degree at a top 10 university should you just give up?

If your not attending a top 10 university namely oxbridge,ucl,durham,LSE,Warwick,Imperial,Bristol,St Andrews and Bath (in no particular order) and not doing either STEM, Law, Medicine or Economics is there a point to even going university?

Please do not try to justify how your English/History/Management/Accounting degree is worth anything or how your university is a good university despite not being in the top 10.

Scroll to see replies

banter
LOL this actually made me laugh, TSR never fails to amaze me 😂😂
You're
Reply 4
Top 10 by which ranking? The ranks change every year too.
Your definately a Bath student.
Original post by Keyhofi
Top 10 by which ranking? The ranks change every year too.

I think he is just talking about in general which universities are viewed as top 10 i agree with him on all of them except bath. Dont think you can use rankings since some rankings even place UCL/LSE outside of the top 10 and place surrey in top 5.
Reply 8
The top 10 is kinda arbitrary (to an extent I mean; obviously all the unis are very good lol) and subject to change
Reply 9
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
The top 10 is kinda arbitrary (to an extent I mean; obviously all the unis are very good lol) and subject to change

Yes i think oxbridge, Imperial, Warwick, Durham,UCL and LSE are the solid members of tne top 10 and are generally accepted by most people and yes your right Bristol, St Andrews or Bath could be swapped for Kings or Edinburgh maybe?
Reply 10
Original post by Penner1990
Your definately a Bath student.

Im not
Original post by Penner1990
I think he is just talking about in general which universities are viewed as top 10 i agree with him on all of them except bath. Dont think you can use rankings since some rankings even place UCL/LSE outside of the top 10 and place surrey in top 5.

But the thing is places like Surrey have some of the highest employment rates out of all universities. This directly contradicts the OP's original statement about it not being worthwhile to study there.
Troll

But on another note, Bath? St. Andrews? Economics?
Reply 13
Original post by Keyhofi
But the thing is places like Surrey have some of the highest employment rates out of all universities. This directly contradicts the OP's original statement about it not being worthwhile to study there.

Yes most of them end up at Mcdonalds or KFC but yes they do get the jobs but if your looking for the elite jobs places like oxbridge, LSE,UCL,Imperial and Warwick will wreck any Surrey applicant provided they are doing a similar degree.
Reply 14
Original post by AJthebest
Yes i think oxbridge, Imperial, Warwick, Durham,UCL and LSE are the solid members of tne top 10 and are generally accepted by most people and yes your right Bristol, St Andrews or Bath could be swapped for Kings or Edinburgh maybe?

I don't see why it has to be 10. They are all good universities.
Original post by Keyhofi

Not really. These metrics don't take into account what employment graduates find.

Not that studying is only 'worthwhile' if it leads to employment.
Reply 16
Original post by Et Tu, Brute?
Troll

But on another note, Bath? St. Andrews? Economics?

I included Economics since its a very prestigious degree and the most competitve course in the UK apps per place wise (especially at places like Oxbridge/Lse/Warwick and UCL) and most of them end up with high flying careers.

And yes St Andrews and Bath were a bit dodgy feel free to replace them with other universities.
Reply 17
If your not attending a top 10 university namely oxbridge,ucl,durham,LSE,Warwick,Imperial,Bristol,St Andrews and Bath (in no particular order) and not doing either STEM, Law, Medicine or Economics is there a point to even going university?

Please do not try to justify how your English/History/Management/Accounting degree is worth anything or how your university is a good university despite not being in the top 10.

If you don't know the difference between you're and your should you be making a thread?
I included Economics since its a very prestigious degree and the most competitve course in the UK apps per place wise (especially at places like Oxbridge/Lse/Warwick and UCL) and most of them end up with high flying careers.

And yes St Andrews and Bath were a bit dodgy feel free to replace them with other universities.

For graduate jobs, maybe the university you go to matters a little. A few years after you graduate, your university and even your degree means **** all really. With increasing experience you'll be doing well to put the grade of your degree onto your CV, employers won't give a **** after a while. Once you get experience you might as well put your certificate in the bathroom so you can wipe your ass with it in case you run out of bog-roll...if it didn't have that sentimental value and sense of accomplishment obviously, I mean this purely from an employment outlook. Sorry, not sorry.

Personally, I'd rather have a degree from an ex-poly of my choice than study at St.Andrews...it seems an incredibly miserable and boring place. Not somewhere I'd like to live for 4 years of my life.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
I don't see why it has to be 10. They are all good universities.

No point going to a university thats ranked 11th or 12th come on now.

Quick Reply

Latest