Report 3 years ago
The environment

It's our life
aarora
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I really worry that our supply of chicken will run out. The way we currently eat, I'm pretty sure some restaurants are passing off some other animal (e.g. pigeons) as chicken.
Think about all the restaurants that exist just in London and how much chicken places like Nando's and KFC serve up in a day.
I'm concerned (but I still eat it - fast food is my thing).
acupofgreentea
Badges: 13
Report 3 years ago
The lack of social mobility.
ihatePE
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by aarora)
I really worry that our supply of chicken will run out. The way we currently eat, I'm pretty sure some restaurants are passing off some other animal (e.g. pigeons) as chicken.
Think about all the restaurants that exist just in London and how much chicken places like Nando's and KFC serve up in a day.
I'm concerned (but I still eat it - fast food is my thing).
whats wrong with pigeon? other birds taste as noice
sleepysnooze
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(infant non-medical) male circumcision being legal - it's completely brushed under the rug and some people even agree with it
women always argue about abortions and "it's my body, I can do what I want with it"
well men still can't say that because we have no bodily right to our own full genitals
"people do it for religion" - I don't care. people used to justify slavery through religion.
troubadour.
Badges: 18
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by sleepysnooze)
male circumcision being legal - it's completely brushed under the rug and some people even agree with it
women always argue about abortions and "it's my body, I can do what I want with it"
well men still can't say that because we have no bodily right to our own full genitals
"people do it for religion" - I don't care. people used to justify slavery through religion.
PRSOM.
Peroxidation
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Religion. It's the most effective scam in known history. Just look at the church, all those priests grow fat on donations that were intended for people who actually need them.
TheTruthTeller
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Menism because males are humans and deserve to be heard.
battycatlady
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
The injustice of the class system.

Issues in education, particularly faced by kids from low socio-economic backgrounds and children who are part of an ethnic minority.

I'm starting teacher training next year which I guess is where my passion for these issues come from.
Yael
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by battycatlady)
The injustice of the class system.

Issues in education, particularly faced by kids from low socio-economic backgrounds and children who are part of an ethnic minority.

I'm starting teacher training next year which I guess is where my passion for these issues come from.
Hey I admire you for that, I have always felt strongly about social mobility and realising the idealist principles of meritocracy.

But do you know why this issue really persists and is likely to be of primary importance in the near future? It's not as much about the differences in economic and social capital which equips children adequately or inadequately for success in and advancement through education ... as much as it is about the wider manifestation of the class system, namely people not going down the social scale.

In other words, there was paradoxically a huge social mobility in 1980s a degree of social mobility still exists although we are regressively going down to the level of 1920s. Why? Well, because of the unprecedented amount of service sector post-industrial jobs, the white collar jobs, which are now a scarcity when adjusted for the number of graduates.

And people are not going down - some manage to move up despite of the aforementioned scarcity and squeeze in there. The issue is that middle class parents will do everything in their social power and socio-economic capacity to maintain that status for their children, whereas the working class parents have no means to do so.

If we had a truly meritocratic society in which you would have people going down as well and real inheritance tax policies then the social mobility would be much more vivid. British middle class, however, is inherently conservative and consciously or not - maintains the working class as subordinate. Social mobility is - again paradoxically - better and easier for poor kids in places like the US, Australia and Singapore. Germanic countries, Scandinavia and Central Europe are also quite mobile. France is worrying with its system of school allocation in accordance with postcodes.. Israel has a surplus of educated people due to the huge middle class influx from Eastern Europe and the former Soviet Union in the 1990s, so it's like everyone is educated almost and/or has educated family member.
Maid Marian
Report 3 years ago
Littering. Nothing makes me rage quite like seeing litter everywhere.
meediaabid
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Misandry, girls who claim to be feminists but just preach misandry, they just ruin the feminist image the same goes equally for misogyny but that's died down a little thankfully. This girl who wrote an article is the prime example of bad feminist representation: http://www.theportlygazelle.com/2015...he-touched-me/
Student403
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Manners.

I hate when I see people receive a meal without thanking the waiter. Yes it's their job, but you could show a little courtesy - that might boost their spirits. Or when you hold open the door for someone and they just walk right through without even acknowledging. Really bugs me :L And what about getting off the plane while the pilot's saying goodbye? Give them a thank you. They've been awake (probably struggling to quite a bit) while you've been fast asleep or watching a movie through the middle of the night. It's a tough job. Return the favour and give them a smile or something.
the bear
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
the way vegetarians feel they can eat live yogurt and Yakult. they send thousands upon thousands of innocent bacilli to their doom.
justalawyer1998
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Blatant injustice and inequality prescribed in law
Maid Marian
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Student403)
Manners.

I hate when I see people receive a meal without thanking the waiter. Yes it's their job, but you could show a little courtesy - that might boost their spirits. Or when you hold open the door for someone and they just walk right through without even acknowledging. Really bugs me :L And what about getting off the plane while the pilot's saying goodbye? Give them a thank you. They've been awake (probably struggling to quite a bit) while you've been fast asleep or watching a movie through the middle of the night. It's a tough job. Return the favour and give them a smile or something.
Agreed, so many people are so rude. And I bet if the employee was having a bad day and forgot his manners, these rude people would be the first to complain about poor customer service.
Student403
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by littlenorthernlass)
Agreed, so many people are so rude. And I bet if the employee was having a bad day and forgot his manners, these rude people would be the first to complain about poor customer service.
I think in Britain the situation isn't as bad as elsewhere. Where I live, people can be so unkind..
Danny McCoyne
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by littlenorthernlass)
Littering. Nothing makes me rage quite like seeing litter everywhere.
Really? That's what you're the most angry about?

Maid Marian
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Danny McCoyne)
Really? That's what you're the most angry about?

Don't belittle my opinion; it's a valid issue and I bet you're a litterer too.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice now or on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (125)
19.69%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (59)
9.29%
No I am happy with my course choice (358)
56.38%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (93)
14.65%

Watched Threads