The Student Room Group

Possible to teach AS Maths in 6 months?

I made a stupid decision and didn't pick Maths in year 12, even though I got an A* at gcse. I really like chemistry, I'd like to do a chemistry related degree, and I know that it's pretty difficult to do that without maths. My parents have agreed to get a tutor for me, and i'd put in at least 10 hours a week of work. Would I realistically be able to pick up AS maths now, and get at least a B?
Yes it sounds doable.
Original post by javari112
I made a stupid decision and didn't pick Maths in year 12, even though I got an A* at gcse. I really like chemistry, I'd like to do a chemistry related degree, and I know that it's pretty difficult to do that without maths. My parents have agreed to get a tutor for me, and i'd put in at least 10 hours a week of work. Would I realistically be able to pick up AS maths now, and get at least a B?

Yes lol AS Maths is literally a walk in the park because a lot of it is GCSE Maths but with a little bit extra. Watch examsolutions videos, then do questions out of the textbook, then past papers
Yes.

If you really pushed yourself you could attempt the whole A-level. I'd suggest Edexcel as the exam board and doing S1/S2 or S1/D1 as your applied modules.

Best of luck :h:
I think you have about 4 and a half months rather than 6.
Reply 5
Original post by kelvin1338
Yes lol AS Maths is literally a walk in the park because a lot of it is GCSE Maths but with a little bit extra. Watch examsolutions videos, then do questions out of the textbook, then past papers

Yeah, most of my friends do maths and they've told me its not that difficult and that there's loads of resources. Thank you!
Reply 6
yeah shouldn't be hard at all to get a B. C1 is barely more difficult than GCSE so nail that and you're not even far from a B lmao

In addition, you are better off following my youtube channel. You've come at the right time.
Reply 8
Original post by Onlineslayer
In addition, you are better off following my youtube channel. You've come at the right time.

Haha self advertising at it's finest! I'll have a look at it, I need all the help I can get! Thank you
Haha self advertising at it's finest! I'll have a look at it, I need all the help I can get! Thank you

It's all about free service init?

Yes deffo! I'm basically teaching myself AS further maths and I've covered most of the topics and its only been a term. C1 is basically GCSE A* topics with a few extra things - nothing too hard and C2 doesn't get too much harder either - we haven't started S1 yet but apparently its the easiest applied topic so I'd suggest doing that! You probably don't even need a tutor - ask your maths teachers in school whether you can sit the exam through school and start going through thee topics yourself - use youtube videos, online worksheets etc. Then ask them to go through the few topics you don't really understand or don't fully get at lunchtimes or times that you're both free. A great website is Integral maths if your school have a subscription you can ask for a log in - they go through every single topic in detail with activities and worksheets

If you're at all competent in Mathematics, you could finish the AS content in a matter of two weeks. C1 is doable in say, 3 days? C2 in 7 days? Leaving you 4 days to cover the applied module.

Can you join a group at school? How many other A levels are you studying?
Reply 13
Original post by Muttley79
Can you join a group at school? How many other A levels are you studying?

I don't think I can. I'll be studying 3 other AS's (Chem, Bio and History) - but that's only if my school will let me drop English Lit which is useless for me atm
Reply 14
Original post by High Stakes
If you're at all competent in Mathematics, you could finish the AS content in a matter of two weeks. C1 is doable in say, 3 days? C2 in 7 days? Leaving you 4 days to cover the applied module.

I'd say I was good at maths but that seems way too quick! I'm hoping to do C1 in 3/4weeks and then I'll have from Feb-April to finish C2 and M1.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by #sarahsmith2
Yes deffo! I'm basically teaching myself AS further maths and I've covered most of the topics and its only been a term. C1 is basically GCSE A* topics with a few extra things - nothing too hard and C2 doesn't get too much harder either - we haven't started S1 yet but apparently its the easiest applied topic so I'd suggest doing that! You probably don't even need a tutor - ask your maths teachers in school whether you can sit the exam through school and start going through thee topics yourself - use youtube videos, online worksheets etc. Then ask them to go through the few topics you don't really understand or don't fully get at lunchtimes or times that you're both free. A great website is Integral maths if your school have a subscription you can ask for a log in - they go through every single topic in detail with activities and worksheets

Thank you for your reply! The fact that youre teaching yourself Further Maths is reassuring me! Yeah I don't like the idea of paying for a tutor, and I think I won't need it if my school will offer to help. I'm hoping to do C1 in 3/4weeks and then I'll have from Feb-April to finish C2 and M1 - do you think thats possible? Thanks again!
I'd say I was good at maths but that seems way too quick! I'm hoping to do C1 in 3/4weeks and then I'll have from Feb-April to finish C2 and M1.

Then I expect 100% in all your final maths papers. :smile:
I don't think I can. I'll be studying 3 other AS's (Chem, Bio and History) - but that's only if my school will let me drop English Lit which is useless for me atm

You need to drop one AS - five will be too many. Talk to the school - we'd let someone join a group next term if they were as committed as you appear to be.
We were taught the whole A2 in Year 12 doing 15 hours of lessons a fortnight alongside 3-4 other AS levels, so yes it's possible :smile:
Original post by yasaminO_o
We were taught the whole A2 in Year 12 doing 15 hours of lessons a fortnight alongside 3-4 other AS levels, so yes it's possible :smile:

You weren't studying the NEW specifications.

Quick Reply

Latest