puregirl21
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
The question is ‘Imposing criminal liability for omissions is inconsistent with other interests that criminallaw should protect such as the principle of autonomy, the principle of legality and theharm principle.’
Evaluate the accuracy of this statement with reference to situations where afailure to act may result in criminal liability.

I am at a slump right now can I get help creating some points for this essay
rend82
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by puregirl21)
The question is ‘Imposing criminal liability for omissions is inconsistent with other interests that criminallaw should protect such as the principle of autonomy, the principle of legality and theharm principle.’
Evaluate the accuracy of this statement with reference to situations where afailure to act may result in criminal liability.

sorry what is the principle of legality and the harm principle?

that aside hope this helps...
my first instinct is yes at face value of that statement however with direct reference to the law on omissions (which i would presume is the gist of the question) I would say no. Crucially it should be noted that the general rule for omissions is that it liability is not imposed for omissions, therefore in that sense you can see that the criminal law is striving/takes into account most obviously the principle of autonomy but also - maybe more subtly -other principle. These are, for instance, principles of proportionality (arguable not as serious to fail to do something as opposed to actively cause harm) and - linked to this - the idea of fair labelling

However of course liability for omissions can be imposed -I can think of Stone and Robinson and Evans off the top of my head where liability for omissions has been imposed on the basis that the defendant had assumed liability to the claimant. Argue that this is indeed necessary for the criminal law as ludicrous to neglect principles such as protection, deterrence - basically welfare!!

Could conclude that in reality a compromise is needed in order to best accommodate all the ideals of the criminal law, and omissions law does (at least) attempt to do that
bonniebrooks1
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by puregirl21)

I know this isn't relevant to the question, but does anyone have any good study resources for the Consent paper?
Britishsunset
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
im guessing you go to BPP, that was the coursework question lol.
LLBPakistan
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
From my interpretation of this question... the only thing I must add to what rend82 has added is that you should add what Glanville Williams and Andrew Ashworth have to say (Smith & Hogan Texts Cases and Materials has a good extract). They have good arguments on the matter of omissions and imposition of liability for omissions.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (253)
57.11%
I don't have everything I need (190)
42.89%

Watched Threads