The Student Room Group

Nuffield Research Placement 2016

Haven't seen a recent thread on this so I thought I'd make one! Anyone applying for one this year? What did you guys write in your personal statements and what subjects are you applying for?

Also any advice from people who have already done a research placement? What was it like/ did you enjoy it etc.?

Scroll to see replies

What subject are you applying for?

I completed a Nuffield Research placement last year. However, I did not have to write a personal statement but was interviewed face-to-face instead by the person who I worked with, so I'm not sure what the process for you will be. The area that I worked in was psychology.

For me, it was a very interesting and invaluable experience that taught me a lot of techniques (report writing etc.) and gave me an idea of what work is like in a specific area of psychology. The people who worked there were lovely, very friendly and welcoming. As well as the placement being fascinating, I made new friends and had a wonderful time. :smile: The experience from my placement has also helped me to decide which career to pursue.

My advice to you would be, if you get a placement and if you're informed on what the project subject is, do some research so that you're prepared and have a rough idea of what to expect. Other than that, enjoy the experience and have a good time. :smile:
i'm currently writing up my personal statement but i'm not really sure how to end it - any ideas?
Original post by AngryDragon97

I completed a Nuffield Research placement last year. However, I did not have to write a personal statement but was interviewed face-to-face instead by the person who I worked with, so I'm not sure what the process for you will be. The area that I worked in was psychology.

For me, it was a very interesting and invaluable experience that taught me a lot of techniques (report writing etc.) and gave me an idea of what work is like in a specific area of psychology. The people who worked there were lovely, very friendly and welcoming. As well as the placement being fascinating, I made new friends and had a wonderful time. :smile: The experience from my placement has also helped me to decide which career to pursue.

My advice to you would be, if you get a placement and if you're informed on what the project subject is, do some research so that you're prepared and have a rough idea of what to expect. Other than that, enjoy the experience and have a good time. :smile:

Hi im applying this year and im not sure whether to apply asap or to wait until 24th of feb when i get my mock results (deadline in my region is 11th of march)
If i apply now, where can i get predicted grades?
Original post by AngryDragon97

I'd probably apply for biology, as I'd like to study medicine in the future. That's good, I didn't want to spend half my summer on it if it wasn't going to be worthwhile! I think we also have to do an interview with the person doing the placement, but they also want a personal statement in which you talk about why you want to get a research placement (at least I think that's what they want in it :/). I wanted to ask - did you set up your own placement or did they provide one? And thanks for the advice, I'll definitely take it and look up the subject beforehand :smile:
Original post by Joosofsucksess
Hi im applying this year and im not sure whether to apply asap or to wait until 24th of feb when i get my mock results (deadline in my region is 11th of march)
If i apply now, where can i get predicted grades?

Do you need predicted grades to apply for it? I haven't got past the first applying stage yet and still have only briefly drafted my personal statement. Can you not ask your school to give you predicted grades if they are needed - you should probably have some already...?
Original post by fishismyword
i'm currently writing up my personal statement but i'm not really sure how to end it - any ideas?

Hey, sorry I can't help as I haven't properly written mine yet. Wanted to ask you roughly how long it's meant to be... And what sort of things do we include?
Original post by #sarahsmith2
Do you need predicted grades to apply for it? I haven't got past the first applying stage yet and still have only briefly drafted my personal statement. Can you not ask your school to give you predicted grades if they are needed - you should probably have some already...?

In step 2 of the online application it asks for predicted grades
Reply 8
I am filling in the form right now

but struggling with the personal statement since I am not very good at english. only got a C in GCSE :frown:
Reply 9
anyone here applying from a private school?? i'm having slight trouble having to find a placement myself
Original post by emprex
I am filling in the form right now

but struggling with the personal statement since I am not very good at english. only got a C in GCSE :frown:

PM me and I'll read it over/grammar check it for you :smile: I got an A*
Reply 11
I have no idea what to write for my personal statement and everyone i write just seems so bog standard. Any tips?
Hi, just like everyone on here I am stuck on my personal statement- my top two choices are maths and chemistry so should I allocate one paragraph to each subject or make it more generic?
Also, if someone has done this before and could help me with the personal statement - I would really appreciate it.
Is it 500 words in total for both questions, or 500 words per question? (recommended?)
Reply 14
thanks, what area of science was your placement on?
Someone pleeeaseeee help me with my statement!!
Reply 16
Original post by Mystery.
Someone pleeeaseeee help me with my statement!!

how long is yours??? mine's at 300 words at the moment and idk if i should be trying to reach the 500 mark?!
Mine was like 700 all together- yes I know its well over

Just didn't know how to cut it down, sure I said a lot of irrelevant stuff but oh well nothing I can do now lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've submitted the whole thing before I knew about the extension to the deadline so I can't change it

Oh well, just wait and see I guess

Posted from TSR Mobile
Do you have any idea how competitive it is?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest