For students: What is uni life like in bath? Watch

Sheek1234
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
For students that go to bath, how was it like on the first week, was it easier to mix in or was it 'cliquey'? Are there lots of extracurricular student activities to do?
Kevin De Bruyne
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Sheek1234)
For students that go to bath, how was it like on the first week, was it easier to mix in or was it 'cliquey'? Are there lots of extracurricular student activities to do?
Hey I'm a second year student at Bath.

The first week of the first year was quite daunting. I remember that on my first night, some of us in our flat played cards and got to know eachother a bit and it wasn't too bad.

Then Freshers' week was just packed with stuff to do. You get a team of second years that give you tours during the day and then parties at night. They also manage your closest neighbouring flats so you get to meet a group of people pretty quickly. I also remember that people went around writing notes on doors of blocks, inviting them to a party at a particular block, as well as invitations on facebook. And after a while, everyone seems to have mixed in pretty well. People were going off to all of the different accommodations that were hosting pre drinks. And through the nightlife it's always possible to meet new people.

On my course (Maths) however, groups formed very quickly and within a few weeks people were either sitting on their own or in groups of 2-3 or 4-5. But I think that's largely to do with what Maths students are like and not the uni.

There are loads of ways to get involved. There are over 80 societies (or so I'm told) and there's something for everyone. Be it acting, writing, baking, singing, you name it.

If there's anything else, feel free to ask. I'll add this question to the FAQs here.
Student403
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by SeanFM)
Hey I'm a second year student at Bath.

The first week of the first year was quite daunting. I remember that on my first night, some of us in our flat played cards and got to know eachother a bit and it wasn't too bad.

Then Freshers' week was just packed with stuff to do. You get a team of second years that give you tours during the day and then parties at night. They also manage your closest neighbouring flats so you get to meet a group of people pretty quickly. I also remember that people went around writing notes on doors of blocks, inviting them to a party at a particular block, as well as invitations on facebook. And after a while, everyone seems to have mixed in pretty well. People were going off to all of the different accommodations that were hosting pre drinks. And through the nightlife it's always possible to meet new people.

On my course (Maths) however, groups formed very quickly and within a few weeks people were either sitting on their own or in groups of 2-3 or 4-5. But I think that's largely to do with what Maths students are like and not the uni.

There are loads of ways to get involved. There are over 80 societies (or so I'm told) and there's something for everyone. Be it acting, writing, baking, singing, you name it.

If there's anything else, feel free to ask. I'll add this question to the FAQs here.
This actually sounds like great fun! I just hope all unis (or at least whichever I go to) are as fun as Bath!
University of Bath
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Sheek1234)
Hi,

I’m a current second year student, and I’ve really enjoyed my time at Bath so far. From my experience, as Sean said, the Freshers Crew (team of second years) really helped to introduce different flat groups to each other in Freshers week, so it was easy to meet lots of new people. Also, there are lots of events and activities that the university put on during the day and evening throughout Freshers week, which is a great opportunity to meet people who aren’t in the same halls as you.

There is also a huge range of extracurricular activities to get involved in at Bath, including societies, sports and volunteering. With 80 societies to join, there really is something for everyone, including the baking society, debating society, photography society, student theatre society and film society. Also, with 48 sports clubs to join and world-class sports facilities available on campus, it is easy to get involved with a sport either recreationally or competitively. Additionally, V-team are a student volunteering group which offer you the chance to get involved in voluntary work on and off campus to make a difference within the local community. All of these student groups are a great way to meet people who share common interests with you and you can find out more about these groups here.

If you have any more questions about life at Bath, feel free to quote me!

Beth
Sheek1234
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Thank you all who replied!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bath
    Engineering & Design, Humanities & Social Sciences, Management, Science Undergraduate
    Sat, 14 Sep '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice now or on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (132)
18.78%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (70)
9.96%
No I am happy with my course choice (401)
57.04%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (100)
14.22%

Watched Threads