Adorable98
Badges: 15
Report Thread starter 5 years ago

If so, I don't get this question below either.
So moving from one population to another, means transferring those animals to another habitat! So I guess that would mean they'll start breeding! But that's not mentioned in the markscheme!

It says this will increase Gene pool?! Why's that?
Attached files
Joshalos
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Adorable98)

If so, I don't get this question below either.
So moving from one population to another, means transferring those animals to another habitat! So I guess that would mean they'll start breeding! But that's not mentioned in the markscheme!

It says this will increase Gene pool?! Why's that?
It could well be a different habitat. It says in the question that they are geographically isolated so they are separate populations. Each population of the same species live in a different place. The habitat could be the same but the separate populations have no access to each other (e.g. separated by bodies of water, mountain ranges etc).

Starting breeding isn't mentioned in the mark scheme because they are already breeding! Populations are always breeding and producing offspring. Bringing more animals into the population probably won't increase the rate of breeding as they'll still do the same amount of breeding but have more choice of a partner.

It increases the gene pool because the populations have developed different genes and characteristics in their environment. For example, one population may have more resistance to a disease than another giving them a survival advantage. By introducing these two populations to each other, the disease resistance gene would spread throughout the population if it is advantageous to survival and thus fitness.

The gene pool is the collection of different genes in an interbreeding population. By introducing more genetic diversity (from new populations) you increase the gene pool.

Population 1 may have genes A, B and C. Population 2 May have genes A, C and D. Introducing them to eachother and forming Population 3 means that in this gene pool there is A, B, C and D. Thus the gene pool has increased.
Adorable98
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by Joshalos)
It could well be a different habitat. It says in the question that they are geographically isolated so they are separate populations. Each population of the same species live in a different place. The habitat could be the same but the separate populations have no access to each other (e.g. separated by bodies of water, mountain ranges etc).

Starting breeding isn't mentioned in the mark scheme because they are already breeding! Populations are always breeding and producing offspring. Bringing more animals into the population probably won't increase the rate of breeding as they'll still do the same amount of breeding but have more choice of a partner.

It increases the gene pool because the populations have developed different genes and characteristics in their environment. For example, one population may have more resistance to a disease than another giving them a survival advantage. By introducing these two populations to each other, the disease resistance gene would spread throughout the population if it is advantageous to survival and thus fitness.

The gene pool is the collection of different genes in an interbreeding population. By introducing more genetic diversity (from new populations) you increase the gene pool.

Population 1 may have genes A, B and C. Population 2 May have genes A, C and D. Introducing them to eachother and forming Population 3 means that in this gene pool there is A, B, C and D. Thus the gene pool has increased.
Thaaaanks a loot!!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (29)
13.55%
I need help researching courses (14)
6.54%
I need help with filling out the application form (9)
4.21%
I need help with my personal statement (90)
42.06%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (52)
24.3%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (4)
1.87%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (16)
7.48%

Watched Threads