The Student Room Group

University snobbery

uploadfromtaptalk1451412896852.png

I thought jokes like this only existed on Tsr. What's your experience?

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm not quite sure I understand the joke...
Reply 2
Very snobbish but was still funny to be fair:wink:
As in looking down on certain degrees?
Unfortunately not. I know quite a few people who are snobby about universities in real life - my uncle makes jokes about certain universities all the time.
Reply 5
Oooh which universities?
Original post by acupofgreentea
Unfortunately not. I know quite a few people who are snobby about universities in real life - my uncle makes jokes about certain universities all the time.
Original post by tealites
I'm not quite sure I understand the joke...

I think MMU is Manchester Metropolitan University, and since the content is so basic the institute is being mocked.
Reply 7
Ah, gotcha. I understood the second part, but I've never heard of that university before so wasn't sure of the context. Thanks
Original post by Mayhem™
I think MMU is Manchester Metropolitan University, and since the content is so basic the institute is being mocked.
that is pretty funny.
What is snobby about that? The Very Hungry Caterpillar is a standard text for English Literature students. Although the gifted English Literatre students that get into Oxbridge tend to focus on The Tiger That Came to Tea.
It's not even that witty.
Original post by keromedic

When I got offers from all my unis, I went on to Yik Yak to check where students have more banter and all I found out is students from traditional unis being dicks in regards to ex-poly students. Exeter vs Plymouth, Newcastle vs Sunderland, Leeds vs Beckett etc.
btw I know a guy from Plymouth who wrote BOOBS upside down on a calculator and got a combined honours degree in Mathematics and Biology.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by tealites
Oooh which universities?

My uncle went to LJMU, so hates on Edge Hill and Liverpool Hope a lot, as per the unofficial hierarchy that seems to have established itself in terms of Liverpool universities.

It's quite a common thing - not just with my uncle, but others - to hear Liverpool Hope referred to as "No Hope." However - I went there on an open day with a friend who wants to go and Liverpool Hope is one of the most beautiful campuses I've ever seen (very Hogwarts-esque), it has a lovely atmosphere and actually seems to be quite successful in certain areas of academia.

I don't know much about Edge Hill, but it's meant to be really good for nursing and teaching. It does irk me that it calls itself Edge Hill when it's about two hours out from where Edge Hill actually is, but that has nothing to do with academia. :biggrin:

Original post by Mayhem™

To be fair, my tutor went to MMU for his undergrad and he's one of the best tutors I've ever had.

He didn't do English Lit, though, so I can't speak for that.
Original post by keromedic

lols
Original post by 0123456543210
When I got offers from all my unis, I went on to Yik Yak to check where students have more banter and all I found out is students from traditional unis being dicks in regards to ex-poly students. Exeter vs Plymouth, Newcastle vs Sunderland, Leeds vs Beckett etc.

When I was in Cambz for my interview, the Ruskin students were using it the most (tbf, the cambridge students probably were home) but the few ones that posted were pretty polite.

I think you are right though the ex-polys do have the best banter imo. Their Yak game is strong.
(edited 8 years ago)
Yes very common in day to day convo.
Jokes like this are posted all of the time on Yik Yak in Newcastle.

My favourite one is something about which episode of Bob the Builder do the engineering students at a certain university have to watch for homework.

When I got offers from all my unis, I went on to Yik Yak to check where students have more banter and all I found out is students from traditional unis being dicks in regards to ex-poly students. Exeter vs Plymouth, Newcastle vs Sunderland, Leeds vs Beckett etc.btw I know a guy from Plymouth who wrote BOOBS upside down on a calculator and got a combined honours degree in Mathematics and Biology.

It's Newcastle Vs Northumbria Vs Sunderland lol.
btw I know a guy from Plymouth who wrote BOOBS upside down on a calculator and got a combined honours degree in Mathematics and Biology.

Never thought of doing this! Thank you for the idea. :biggrin:
Original post by rayquaza17
Jokes like this are posted all of the time on Yik Yak in Newcastle.

My favourite one is something about which episode of Bob the Builder do the engineering students at a certain university have to watch for homework.

It's Newcastle Vs Northumbria Vs Sunderland lol.

My mate goes to Northumbria :tongue:. Though he's actually smart. Hope he gets a 1st.

One I recently saw was "When Cbeebies HD teaches you the difference between the Arctic and the Antarctic, you know you go to MMU" and another was something like "Turning 360 degrees and getting a degree in maths from MMU".
Original post by acupofgreentea
Never thought of doing this! Thank you for the idea. :biggrin:

You are welcome, I personally never thought that Leeds would have a weaker game than Exeter, but it does. Banter isn't the main determinant however, I'll go and visit those to feel the banta myself.:biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest