The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Danny McCoyne
Britain's largest sperm bank bans men with dyslexia, autism and ADHD from donating, triggering outrage over 'eugenics'

London Sperm Bank admits it screens men for 'neurological conditions'

These include dyslexia, ADHD, autism and Asperger's syndrome

Campaigners have accused the clinic of 'eugenics' - attempting to genetically improve the human race

Fertility watchdog has launched investigation in light of the claims

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-3377811/Britain-s-largest-sperm-bank-bans-men-dyslexia-autism-ADHD-donating-triggering-outrage-eugenics.html

this seems like a gateway to breeding out black and brown people in Western countries. Am I right to be worried about this?

I hope you are in favor of this
How would you measure IQ? An IQ test that is inherently racist? This is a veiled bid to breed out minorities.

Are you a troll ? How is an IQ test racist ?
Let's not do that. Let's not go there and pit disenfranchised groups against each other. In fact, you'll find it that disabled black men and women are doubly oppressed.

Yes. I know. But you're not making this about disabled black people (or disabled people of colour in general) your making this about racism rather than ableism or the way being disabled intersects with other marginalised identities. I am not saying that my oppression is greater than yours. I am saying that making oppression that I (and many other disabled people of any race) face purely about race is a pretty ****ty thing to do. You said you only cared about this because it might lead to eugenics based on race.
This feels like a gateway to breeding us all out of the population.
Let's not do that. Let's not go there and pit disenfranchised groups against each other. In fact, you'll find it that disabled black men and women are doubly oppressed.

How do you measure oppression objectively?
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
True but the thing is that the attempt isn't exactly a good one. Numerous people suspected to have Asperger's have made incredible contributions to the human race, and from what I've read on ADHD many people with it are, though generally unfocused, capable of "hyperfocus" on things that catch their interest and it seems this may well be an asset in certain situations. I don't know too much about dyslexia and more severe autistic spectrum disorders but there are definitely tons of accomplished dyslexics.
edit: well it actually says so in the article, probably should have read it first lol

You make some very good points. I think it depends on how eugenics is utilised and what ends we seek through its use.
It's disgusting and discriminatory.
Reply 67
About time. Nobody wants an imperfect baby if it can be avoided.
bankers eh ?
Original post by thehistorybore
How do you measure oppression objectively?

You measure it by comparing the levels of discrimination faced by each race in things like education and the jobs market as well as the justice system.
Reply 70
Man the comments on that article are crazy even for daily mail readers. "defected", "sick child", "defective losers", "why play Russian roulette with someone's life" (what?), "faulty goods". This would be rather cruel if we were talking about Down's Syndrome or something, but at least nothing more than a harsh expression of an understandable sentiment, but we're talking about dyslexia, ADHD and autistic spectrum disorders..
Original post by Nephthys
Are you a troll ? How is an IQ test racist ?

Minorities, statistically speaking, score lower on IQ tests compared to white people. One damn good reason for this is that it's hard to write questions that don't make assumptions about someone's cultural background

1: One question, for example, asked which of the following words best matched the word "cup" -- "wall," "saucer," "table" or "window"? Michael's friend Eddie, presumably an African-American, chose "table," because in his house, Michael said, there are no saucers to put under the cups.

2: For example, if asked the question, “How are soccer and football alike?” a student or group who has never played or watched or had discussions about soccer is at a disadvantage.

3: The question asked the test taker to identify the pair of terms that are the most analogous to the relationship between “runner” and “marathon”. The correct answer was “oarsman” and “regatta”. Critics of this question argue that the correct response assumes that test takers are familiar with crew, a sport that actually manages to be whiter and more elitist that squash, if that is even possible. Accordingly, Fifty-three percent (53%) of white students correctly answered this question, while only 22% of black students got the question right.
Minorities, statistically speaking, score lower on IQ tests compared to white people. One damn good reason for this is that it's hard to write questions that don't make assumptions about someone's cultural background

1: One question, for example, asked which of the following words best matched the word "cup" -- "wall," "saucer," "table" or "window"? Michael's friend Eddie, presumably an African-American, chose "table," because in his house, Michael said, there are no saucers to put under the cups.

2: For example, if asked the question, “How are soccer and football alike?” a student or group who has never played or watched or had discussions about soccer is at a disadvantage.

3: The question asked the test taker to identify the pair of terms that are the most analogous to the relationship between “runner” and “marathon”. The correct answer was “oarsman” and “regatta”. Critics of this question argue that the correct response assumes that test takers are familiar with crew, a sport that actually manages to be whiter and more elitist that squash, if that is even possible. Accordingly, Fifty-three percent (53%) of white students correctly answered this question, while only 22% of black students got the question right.

you're a very sophisticated troll, I'll give you that
I am personally absolutely against sperm banks.
why tf would you want to have dyslexic and ADHD ppls sperm in the bank??? This kind of eugenics is fine. we want to reduce the amount of people with those life affecting conditions so keeping only the good sperm (not saying ppl with ADHD's sperm is bad jus that u wouldnt want to use it in a spemr bank cus the kid might get ADHD) if they were say banning black ppls sperm then that would be bad eugenics cus there is no good reason to ban a black mans spunk from the bank
Reply 75

Are you sure that's a genuine IQ test..
Reply 76
breed out the indians and chinese pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease

edit: after reading your posts, i would say no blacks as well
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by defenestrated
If a woman had a choice between healthy sperm and sperm that carries risk, she would always go for the healthy one
The only way around that is to not tell the woman, but that's clearly unethical

So basically you are saying people who have ADHD, Dyslexia and Autism are 'unhealthy' and 'carry a risk'.
Reply 78
Original post by eternaforest
why tf would you want to have dyslexic and ADHD ppls sperm in the bank??? This kind of eugenics is fine. we want to reduce the amount of people with those life affecting conditions so keeping only the good sperm (not saying ppl with ADHD's sperm is bad jus that u wouldnt want to use it in a spemr bank cus the kid might get ADHD) if they were say banning black ppls sperm then that would be bad eugenics cus there is no good reason to ban a black mans spunk from the bank

Black people have lower IQs on average. Is trying to ensure increased intelligence bad eugenics?
(I don't believe IQ is a great indicator of anything but playing devil's advocate here)
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
Black people have lower IQs on average. Is trying to ensure increased intelligence bad eugenics?
(I don't believe IQ is a great indicator of anything but playing devil's advocate here)

on average how much lower is it? and lower compared to what? whites or the national average?

u cant really notice someone with a lower IQ and i doubt many ppl get bullied or **** for it so i wouldnt say having a lower IQ is as life affecting as having dyslexia

Latest

Trending

Trending