Britain's largest sperm bank bans dyslexic, autistic and ADHD men's sperm.

Watch
This discussion is closed.
math42
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by eternaforest)
why tf would you want to have dyslexic and ADHD ppls sperm in the bank??? This kind of eugenics is fine. we want to reduce the amount of people with those life affecting conditions so keeping only the good sperm (not saying ppl with ADHD's sperm is bad jus that u wouldnt want to use it in a spemr bank cus the kid might get ADHD) if they were say banning black ppls sperm then that would be bad eugenics cus there is no good reason to ban a black mans spunk from the bank
Black people have lower IQs on average. Is trying to ensure increased intelligence bad eugenics?
(I don't believe IQ is a great indicator of anything but playing devil's advocate here)
markovchain17
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by 13 1 20 8 42)
Black people have lower IQs on average. Is trying to ensure increased intelligence bad eugenics?
(I don't believe IQ is a great indicator of anything but playing devil's advocate here)
on average how much lower is it? and lower compared to what? whites or the national average?

u cant really notice someone with a lower IQ and i doubt many ppl get bullied or **** for it so i wouldnt say having a lower IQ is as life affecting as having dyslexia
username2151383
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by KingKoala)
So basically you are saying people who have ADHD, Dyslexia and Autism are 'unhealthy' and 'carry a risk'.
clearly not having those conditions is better for an individual than having them
Aj12
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Danny McCoyne)
Really? Where does one draw the line?
At attributes that don't significantly damage a person's life presumably.
ihatePE
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Mihael_Keehl)
that youtube video [gaming style] one that AG made.

Some gaming clan.
I dont think ive seen it yet , do you have link? :daydreaming:
KingKoala
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by defenestrated)
clearly not having those conditions is better for an individual than having them
Clearly and individual with these disorders has the same right to live as people without, this is basically social cleansing.
Rorschach II
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by york_wbu)
Don't muslims have like 10 children per female. Whereas for children conceived from donated sperm, it's like 0.01 children per female.

Hardly going to make a difference.
P.S. I was joking.
Mihael_Keehl
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by ihatePE)
I dont think ive seen it yet , do you have link? :daydreaming:
Yeah sure
Farm_Ecology
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Minorities, statistically speaking, score lower on IQ tests compared to white people.
That's not true. East asians and ethnic Jews both score higher than whites in IQ tests.

(Original post by acupofgreentea)
It's disgusting and discriminatory.
It's certainly discriminatory, and perhaps disgusting, but it's not without cause or reason.

Should we not attempt to reduce the prevalence of disease or disorder within our society, either through treatment or otherwise? Should we allow people with serious heritable diseases to donate sperm, knowing that the child will have an unhappy and short life because it would be discriminating against the child?

Granted, those with autism spectrum disorders can still live healthy lives, but you would be in essence giving the child the disorder, which I see as incredible immoral act.
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Farm_Ecology)

Granted, those with autism spectrum disorders can still live healthy lives, but you would be in essence giving the child the disorder, which I see as incredible immoral act.
With that premise, would it be immoral for me to "give" my children my dyslexia? when I live a perfectly healthy life with the condition.
Tiger Rag
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I don't understand why they've singled out those conditions tbh. There are much worse things you can pass on to your child. I've got something like 3 genetic (possibly 4) conditions, including Autism and am seriously considering undergoing testing to see if they are genetic or if it's just one of those things that's happened. (as is sometimes the case)
TheLoneArab
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
this seems like a gateway to breeding out black and brown people in Western countries. Am I right to be worried about this?
Thank u in advance.
Spoiler:
Show
pls just......

piss off
abruiseonthesky
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Britain's largest sperm bank bans men with dyslexia, autism and ADHD from donating, triggering outrage over 'eugenics'
  • London Sperm Bank admits it screens men for 'neurological conditions'
  • These include dyslexia, ADHD, autism and Asperger's syndrome
  • Campaigners have accused the clinic of 'eugenics' - attempting to genetically improve the human race
  • Fertility watchdog has launched investigation in light of the claims
Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar...-eugenics.html

this seems like a gateway to breeding out black and brown people in Western countries. Am I right to be worried about this?
Oh yeah, because 'autistic' = 'Asian' jfc
math42
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by eternaforest)
on average how much lower is it? and lower compared to what? whites or the national average?

u cant really notice someone with a lower IQ and i doubt many ppl get bullied or **** for it so i wouldnt say having a lower IQ is as life affecting as having dyslexia
Here's some info, looks to be US focused though http://en.metapedia.org/wiki/Race_an...rld_average_IQ Lots of graphs come up on a google search but I dunno how reliable they are

I think you can often notice someone with a lower IQ depending on the context; they generally won't pick up theoretical concepts as quickly or be so good at pattern recognition or making links between things. My issue with IQ is that there is more to intelligence than this stuff and I don't like the emphasis on speed, but I digress.

Your argument seems much more benevolent than most; you are saying we shouldn't bring people into the world if they are likely to suffer, rather than going on about people being defective. But everyone suffers to an extent; as for the specific bullying comment, people get bullied for being unattractive, people get bullied for being too short or too tall, people get bullied just for general personality traits that aren't indicative of any disorder. People even get bullied for being ginger. It is still perfectly possible for these people to live good lives, as it is possible for people with dyslexia, ADHD, and ASD to live good lives.
VV Cephei A
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Mayhem™)
you sure ain't lying there
abruiseonthesky
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Illiberal Liberal)
Personally I don't see anything wrong with what they've done. Strange world where attempting to "improve the human race" is used as a criticism.
I dunno, imo it opens the door to potential restrictions to people's reproductive rights and I think if people want to donate sperm they should; if the women/couples choosing the sperm have a problem with the semen of someone who's autistic surely they could just reject the semen?
username2151383
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by KingKoala)
Clearly and individual with these disorders has the same right to live as people without, this is basically social cleansing.
we're not talking about killing them?
It's like if you could avoid your baby being blind, you would
thunder_chunky
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Nobody wants their child to have a physical or mental disability, naturally. With that being said, some of the greatest minds we've ever seen have had aspergers, autism, dyslexia, and others. Not that I'm suggesting we actively cause it, but this brings up a very subjective argument about where we draw the line, and how picky we can choose to be.
KingKoala
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by defenestrated)
we're not talking about killing them?
It's like if you could avoid your baby being blind, you would
But it is denying them life. Being blind is different though because this almost always has a negative impact on someone's life. However, people with ADHD, Autism and dyslexia can lead perfectly normal lives, or sometimes even better lives than 'normal people', look at Bill Gates for example.
Unkempt_One
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It were just very severe conditions it would be somewhat understandable. Dyslexia? Inexcusable, burn their lot down.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling now you've started university?

I'm loving it! (43)
12.87%
I'm enjoying it but I'm still settling in (91)
27.25%
I'm a bit unsure (60)
17.96%
I'm finding things difficult (112)
33.53%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (28)
8.38%

Watched Threads