Can I sue due to bullying?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Not going to go into too much detail about the bullying however no physical violence occurred. However it was on-going and they (a group of 7 Asians) were told to stop 3 times. Twice by my guidance teacher and once by the head of year. However, although it has been less frequent, it has still continued, but indirectly (i.e.. nothing said to my face) but pretty much everyone else knows about it. It has had a big effect on me mentally as I narrowly avoided being diagnosed with an eating disorder and felt very depressed inside and now have absolutely no friends.
My father got involved with the school and my head of year told me that she would speak to each member of the group (she did not), was very condescending towards me, told me it would be recorded on my school record (I highly doubt this knowing her and will get a copy when after the holidays) and after more incidents occurred she claimed she spoke to the parent of the main 2 boys (who are twins) however this I doubt and all she told me was that their father was angry, this really doesn't give me much evidence and I will be looking into this.
What I am doing now is getting all of their addresses, phone numbers etc. if I can't I myself will hire a private investigator to do this and will be writing letters to parents with photographic evidence from stuff online. I will also confirm whether or not the year head contacted the 2 boys parents.

My questions are:
-Can I sue the bullies for what they did to me and also what damage they caused mentally?
-Can I sue the school / year head if I find out that she did not add this to my record and/or did not contact the 2 boys parents?

What do you recommend me to do?
Anonymous #1
Also worth mentioning that a girl commited suicide at my school and the school was nicknamed 'suicide school'
username2151383
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I don't think you'd be able to prove the problems you have were a direct result of the bullying, especially if you never actually received a diagnosis
Awais_
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
You have evidence of the bullying online, right?
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Awais_)
You have evidence of the bullying online, right?

Yes
Awais_
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Were you physically bullied?
Do you feel the school were negligent?
Zechs
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Is it really important that we know that the bullies are Asian? I mean is this racial bullying?

If not telling us they are Asian is rather unnecessary, no bias from me I'm not Asian myself just a bit odd for you to mention.

As for suing them you do what you wish to do, I don't think you can sue the bullies though this isn't America perhaps you can report it to police though and make it a criminal matter and they will take action.

Another option is suing the school, still I'm no lawyer nor know much about the legal field, I would imagine it would cost a lot of money to take on a school and you would have to prove the school did not take proper action and proper care of you as a student. I think your best option really would be the police if efforts with the school are not working , I think it's high time bullying was taken more seriously by the law.

Just to make it clear my recommendation is to show you are serious by contacting the police especially if the bullying is serious. This will also show that you made an effort to report the bullying and it will be kept on record by the police plus the police most likely have good resources and departments to deal with serious cases of bullying.
domonict
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
These are school kids?

Their financial worth is zero.
Even if you sued successfully, you would be out of pocket by thousands.
They cannot pay you what they don't have

If you are under 18 then you cannot sue either, an adult has to do it on your behalf
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Awais_)
Were you physically bullied?
Do you feel the school were negligent?
No I was not bullied physically. It occurred verbally during school, online, as well as lots of gossip being spread.
And yes, I do feel the school were negligent.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Mancini)
Is it really important that we know that the bullies are Asian? I mean is this racial bullying?

If not telling us they are Asian is rather unnecessary, no bias from me I'm not Asian myself just a bit odd for you to mention.

As for suing them you do what you wish to do, I don't think you can sue the bullies though this isn't America perhaps you can report it to police though and make it a criminal matter and they will take action.

Another option is suing the school, still I'm no lawyer nor know much about the legal field, I would imagine it would cost a lot of money to take on a school and you would have to prove the school did not take proper action and proper care of you as a student. I think your best option really would be the police if efforts with the school are not working , I think it's high time bullying was taken more seriously by the law.

Just to make it clear my recommendation is to show you are serious by contacting the police especially if the bullying is serious. This will also show that you made an effort to report the bullying and it will be kept on record by the police plus the police most likely have good resources and departments to deal with serious cases of bullying.

It is because they were all Asians and I am white so the year head thought that the bullying may have been due to racist views, it is possible.
Awais_
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Yes
The first escalation should be the head teacher after you have explained the situation to the school. You can escalate any complaints you might have regarding the way the school is dealing with the bullying complaint to them.

Your next port of call would be the management of the school, usually the school board or your local authority.

If it's serious enough there's a chance it could amount to criminal behaviour. Many cases of bullying represent sustained harassment and should be dealt with by the police. Harassment is a crime, and the police will react if there is sufficient evidence.

Remember it's best to report to the school first, except in the most serious circumstances.
F raja
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Not going to go into too much detail about the bullying however no physical violence occurred. However it was on-going and they (a group of 7 Asians) were told to stop 3 times. Twice by my guidance teacher and once by the head of year. However, although it has been less frequent, it has still continued, but indirectly (i.e.. nothing said to my face) but pretty much everyone else knows about it. It has had a big effect on me mentally as I narrowly avoided being diagnosed with an eating disorder and felt very depressed inside and now have absolutely no friends.
My father got involved with the school and my head of year told me that she would speak to each member of the group (she did not), was very condescending towards me, told me it would be recorded on my school record (I highly doubt this knowing her and will get a copy when after the holidays) and after more incidents occurred she claimed she spoke to the parent of the main 2 boys (who are twins) however this I doubt and all she told me was that their father was angry, this really doesn't give me much evidence and I will be looking into this.
What I am doing now is getting all of their addresses, phone numbers etc. if I can't I myself will hire a private investigator to do this and will be writing letters to parents with photographic evidence from stuff online. I will also confirm whether or not the year head contacted the 2 boys parents.
no offence but you sound like a prat. Hire a private investigator. Are you serious. Grow a pair and take it like a man. It's sad you get bullied but you seem to think everyone is against you. Why are you so doubtful about the teachers. They are trained for this stuff. And just a word of warning, by getting their addresses and getting their families involved you are just going to make things a WHOLE lot worse for yourself
Anonymous #2
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by F raja)
no offence but you sound like a prat. Hire a private investigator. Are you serious. Grow a pair and take it like a man. It's sad you get bullied but you seem to think everyone is against you. Why are you so doubtful about the teachers. They are trained for this stuff. And just a word of warning, by getting their addresses and getting their families involved you are just going to make things a WHOLE lot worse for yourself
inb4 meninists
Anonymous #1

No, I'm sure their parents will be very unimpressed that the school did not involve them and this will cause difficulty for the school if parents start phoning etc.
MasterButcher
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
People like you are a ****ing disgrace to this country. Bet you would sue Tesco if they ran out of your favorite product.

Go to america.
F raja
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
No, I'm sure their parents will be very unimpressed that the school did not involve them and this will cause difficulty for the school if parents start phoning etc.
The parents might give the school problems but the kids will give you bigger problems. Are you a guy or a girl because if you're getting bullied by the same sex then you can guarantee that the bullying will turn violent if you involve parents
F raja
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
inb4 meninists
What does that mean
GeologyMaths
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
X...
Anonymous #1
The parents might give the school problems but the kids will give you bigger problems. Are you a guy or a girl because if you're getting bullied by the same sex then you can guarantee that the bullying will turn violent if you involve parents

I am a girl and the group consists of 2 boys and 5 girls. I would be pleased if the bullying turned violent as I would be without a doubt involving the police.
doodle_333
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
No, you're not going to be able to 'sue' them. I sincerely doubt that your teacher would promise to do something and not do it but the fact is that a teenager isn't going to be too concerned and in reality there isn't a whole lot that a school can do about some rumours being spread. Bullying isn't okay but it is a part of many people's lives, you need to stop being resentful and bitter and start trying to move forwards. Take responsibility for your life and happiness.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (96)
27.51%
No (253)
72.49%

Watched Threads