The Student Room Group

Good laptops

Can anybody recommend a good quality laptop? to suit the needs of a law student...
If you're not too concerned about cost, the new surface pro 4 looks great, as it is lightweight and both a tablet and fully-functioning laptop too.
Also would suggest any type of ultrabook due to how lightweight they are :smile:
Original post by Sjsjsj
Can anybody recommend a good quality laptop? to suit the needs of a law student...

ASUS Transformer Book Flip TP300LA maybe. My friend currently has it and she absolutely loves it. She is a med student though. The laptop itself is quite affordable too.
Reply 3
Original post by Sjsjsj

budget?
Reply 4
Original post by batoot
budget?

Up to about £300, thanks guys.
Original post by Sjsjsj
Up to about £300, thanks guys.

If you are willing to make it to nearly £400 then ASUS Transformer Book Flip TP300LA will be the right one for you I think!
Reply 6
Original post by morningstar49
If you are willing to make it to nearly £400 then ASUS Transformer Book Flip TP300LA will be the right one for you I think!

I'll give it a look, thanks!

Any thoughts on Chromebooks?
Original post by Sjsjsj

No problemo!

Chromebooks are affordable and cheap but Asus has a lot more apps than Chromebooks though. I personally would go for Asus and in fact, I'm actually considering to buy an Asus soon myself!
would agree with @morningstar49
An asus would be much better than a chromebook imo
Original post by Sjsjsj

I just got a chromebook (Toshiba) actually and I love it. So far I've managed to get as much as 12 hours out of a single battery charge, which to me is the most important thing as I will be using this to type notes up during lectures so it needs to have a good battery life if being used all day. Chromebooks have such superior battery life because they're not full of all the crap ware and useless stuff laptops are, mine also doesn't have fan because it has no moving parts so you don't get the annoying fan noise and it doesn't overheat...which was a problem with my old laptop (HP pavilion g6) pretty soon after purchasing it.

Whether or not a chromebook is suitable for you will depend on what kind of programmes you use to study and do assignments. I personally use google documents for everything so a chromebook is perfect for me. Most chromebooks to my knowledge though do allow you to convert office files to google documents, and some chromebooks you can purchase (or comes with) Microsoft office with it if you prefer to use office.

The one downside to chrombooks is unless you save google documents to your offline folder you can only access them while online, this isn't a problem to me though as it's simple enough to do.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending