The Student Room Group

Should I do a degree to become a police officer?

I want to become a police officer and I'm not sure whether or not to do a degree. I know that it is not necessary, I do enjoy learning but studying for 3 years seems so boring when all I want to do is be a police officer.

Any advice?

Scroll to see replies

I don't see why you need a degree to be a police officer.

You memorise some junk about rights and how to smack someone with your truncheon.
Original post by A Serious Man
I don't see why you need a degree to be a police officer.

You memorise some junk about rights and how to smack someone with your truncheon.

:colonhash:
Reply 3
What will you study? criminology?
Original post by chikane
What will you study? criminology?

Nope. Probably neuroscience or chemistry.
Reply 5
It's actually one of my hopes to become an honorary police officer (maybe soldier)
Just in case of an apocalypse *smirk* #RickGrimes

So you would rather be a police officer than study *high fives*
I would pick being an officer any day...
but at the same time I like doing other things too. Wow so tough.

Depends how you feel about chem/neuroscience
Original post by LeyK
It's actually one of my hopes to become an honorary police officer (maybe soldier)

I don't even know if I want to continue with my A-levels. I don't know what to do with my life. :/
Reply 7
Yes it would be worth doing, not only is university a great experience having a degree would help you if at some stage you wanted to further your career in the police force.
Reply 8
Original post by F.Nietzsche
I don't even know if I want to continue with my A-levels. I don't know what to do with my life. :/

If I were in your sitch...
I would finish my A levels then go policing (ik sounds like hell, but just in case things go bad in the academy :s-smilie:)

And in terms of the degree, you can always find short courses on it instead of spending 3/4 years at uni. :biggrin:

I always make decisions with the future in mind (not near future, like who I might support, what dreams I need to achieve in the future)
So try do the same thing.
Original post by yt7777
Yes it would be worth doing, not only is university a great experience having a degree would help you if at some stage you wanted to further your career in the police force.

That's a good point, thanks.

Original post by LeyK
If I were in your sitch...
I would finish my A levels then go policing (ik sounds like hell, but just in case things go bad in the academy :s-smilie:)

And in terms of the degree, you can always find short courses on it instead of spending 3/4 years at uni. :biggrin:

I always make decisions with the future in mind (not near future, like who I might support, what dreams I need to achieve in the future)
So try do the same thing.

Right, thanks. But if I were to bear the future in mind then surely doing a degree would be the better option, no?
Reply 10
That's a good point, thanks.

Right, thanks. But if I were to bear the future in mind then surely doing a degree would be the better option, no?

It's the safest and probably the most logical (in terms of future).
Reply 11
There is no need to have a degree to become a police officer (or even to be promoted to a senior rank on the police) but these days competition for places is so fierce that a degree may help. The University of Portsmouth has an Institute of Criminal Justice Studies which has a policing related degree.

You might also want to consider working for other organisations whose work is similar to what the police do. Border Force, Immigration Enforcement, HMRC's criminal investigation department and various other government departments can offer a similar job.

My friend went straight into a college course in uniformed service at 16.
Original post by LeyK

Pepper spray and truncheons don't work great against zombies though.
Nope. Probably neuroscience or chemistry.

A degree in something like Psychology or Criminology would appeal to the forces more.
Original post by Emily.97
A degree in something like Psychology or Criminology would appeal to the forces more.

But will be a waste of time if OP changes his mind about the profession he wants to go into. Law on the other hand seems like a handy degree and won't diminish OP's chances of getting a decent job outside the police force.
Original post by 0123456543210
But will be a waste of time if OP changes his mind about the profession he wants to go into..

Why would it be a waste of time?
Why would it be a waste of time?

Criminology and Psychology graduates are well known for not getting decent jobs outside their niche. A person with a respected, traditional degree is likely to have more choice when it comes to applying to different kind of jobs e.g. in accounting or finance. Psychology and Criminology may be quite applicable in the police force, but just in case OP changes his/her mind, a traditional degree will be a safer option.

I'm more of a sciency person tbh, psychology or criminology don't seem appealing.
There is an actual Policing degree you can do in a university over in Northampton. My friend put it down in her ucas and im pretty sure it would be a lot more beneficial than criminology as you get actual training and experience from it.

Heres the link if your interested :smile:

http://www.northampton.ac.uk/study/courses/courses-by-subject/social-sciences/policing-ba

Hope this helped
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending