The Student Room Group

Do you need to study at a top 10 uni to get a good job?

Loads of people on student room say that you would only get a good job if you've studied at a top 10 university. I have just made University of Kent my firm and it's putting me down seeing how even when I do graduate I won't find a good job according to most people.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

I'm pretty sure you'll be alright :lol:

Most kids bragging about the top 10s are insecure little snowflakes anyway
Original post by Student403
I'm pretty sure you'll be alright :lol:

Most kids bragging about the top 10s are insecure little snowflakes anyway

I loved that response.
Original post by AntgoneRJ
I loved that response.

Aw thanks :biggrin:
Reply 4
Seriously don't listen to the people on here.
Not another thread...
Truthfully no. It doesn't matter.

Study at a top 10 university as middle of the class and get a lower final grade or study at a 10> university, get top of everyone and a first? It all adds up and either way, you're making something of yourself.
You should focus more on doing a good degree rather than which uni. Job prospects are equal for people doing the same degree and getting the same classification pretty much no matter what uni they did it at.
Employers care more about your skills and experience than your university ranking. Do well on your course, get involved in societies and just try to improve your CV. You'll be fine.
Reply 9
Thanks guys, some people on TSR make me worry that I won't be good enough for employers if I come from a uni ranked 21st on the League table

Posted from TSR Mobile
If you look at those with high level jobs on things like LinkedIn, you will find that many actually haven't been to highly ranking institutions.
Mate if your planning on doing Economics then you better be doing it at Oxbridge/LSE/Warwick/UCL or just say goodbye to your career prospects Kent is not even a RG University ffs.
Original post by AJthebest
Mate if your planning on doing Economics then you better be doing it at Oxbridge/LSE/Warwick/UCL or just say goodbye to your career prospects Kent is not even a RG University ffs.

Get off your high horse

****, really? *Starts queuing for the dole*, obviously I am not worthy.
No, but it helps. It also massively depends on what sector you want to go into. Some are heavily biased towards certain universities.

But the important thing to note is that it isn't a necessary requirement.
Original post by Student403
Get off your high horse

There is no point lying to OP id rather let him know how it is.
Reply 16

Ok and you are? This wasn't meant for stuck up ****s like you to come on this forum and make people feel like they aren't good enough. It's people like you I ****ing DESPISE. Like goodbye your opinion is not needed, see ya

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Original post by cutelady
Loads of people on student room say that you would only get a good job if you've studied at a top 10 university. I have just made University of Kent my firm and it's putting me down seeing how even when I do graduate I won't find a good job according to most people.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Most of those that do aren't even at university yet ,act like expert :laugh:

Your university isn't bad at all (here are some stats on it for 2013), and quite a lot of people overall for your course do manage to get a very good job. As long as you do research on your career destination, as well as work experience then you'll do fine :tongue:
(edited 8 years ago)
There is no point lying to OP id rather let him know how it is.

You're still in school lmao so I don't think you can talk :P

Ok and you are? This wasn't meant for stuck up ****s like you to come on this forum and make people feel like they aren't good enough. It's people like you I ****ing DESPISE. Like goodbye your opinion is not needed, see ya

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ignore AJ

Posted from TSR Mobile

Your the one who asked for everyones opinion by making this thread and I told you how it is there is no point in me sugarcoating the truth and telling you Kent is going to give you great career prospects.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending