Help on revision mocks in one week

Watch
Skrinetix
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
my mocks are in one week and I've had the whole 2 week xmas holiday to revise. I have been doing 5 hours a day of concentrated revision, but seeing as how I have an absolutely awful memory I have to note down pretty much everything (rather than realising that I know the topic pretty well coz I don't !!). In the amount of time I have revised I have barely achieved anything mainly because notes are taking forever to make. E.g I will spend on hour of biology and get through like a page or two in the revision guide. Should I just ditch the note making and instead read straight from the book as it is faster or carrying on making notes ? Any other advice you can give me ? And I know some people don't need revision and can get As but I do need revision. Btw my notes are all on flash cards and I use different colours.
Lelanor
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 6 years ago
Here's my method that I used for my mock exams a few weeks ago, but I don't suggest using it for real exams.

You could try skim reading the whole book (if you think that won't take too long) and then you'll have seen what you still need to revise, then you can decide what you know the least about and start with that, making very brief notes. Focus only on the main points at first and once you've covered the things you know least, you can look at details. This way you'd be looking at the material several times and even if you don't know the details, you still know the main points of each topic.

I found that this approach worked for my mocks (I did them a couple of weeks before the Christmas holidays). I didn't start revising until the weekend before they started (oops!) so I used this sort of approach in RS and the sciences. For RS, I used flashcards, and as my revision guide is split into the same sections as the specification, I used one side of a flashcard for each page in the revision guide. This meant I didn't have to go in order but still have my notes in order. I think I started by going through each unit and writing down the religious attitudes I knew the least about, then the facts/laws/non-religious attitudes I knew the least about, and then finally things I was fairly confident with. As I really restricted the amount of space, I found that I was challenging myself to use the fewest words possible. This method was very effective for me, and I went through everything in a couple of days.

If you're running out of time, it is a waste of time to keep changing pen colour if you're doing key words in sentences in different colours, or using a different colour for each point. If colour helps you, highlight when you've finished.

Personally, I hardly revised for maths because I wanted to see where the gaps in my skills were (although we did do a few past papers in maths lessons a couple of weeks before), and for English I used YouTube for passive revision - I had a video of the play we're studying on while I tidied my room and once that was finished I switched to videos explaining and analysing the play. If you do feel like you don't need to revise very much for one or two mocks, you could take this sort of approach.

Good luck in your mocks, and remember that there's plenty of time to revise for the real exams if you don't do as well as you'd hoped!
Skrinetix
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by Lelanor;[url="tel:61620045")
61620045[/url]]Here's my method that I used for my mock exams a few weeks ago, but I don't suggest using it for real exams.

You could try skim reading the whole book (if you think that won't take too long) and then you'll have seen what you still need to revise, then you can decide what you know the least about and start with that, making very brief notes. Focus only on the main points at first and once you've covered the things you know least, you can look at details. This way you'd be looking at the material several times and even if you don't know the details, you still know the main points of each topic.

I found that this approach worked for my mocks (I did them a couple of weeks before the Christmas holidays). I didn't start revising until the weekend before they started (oops!) so I used this sort of approach in RS and the sciences. For RS, I used flashcards, and as my revision guide is split into the same sections as the specification, I used one side of a flashcard for each page in the revision guide. This meant I didn't have to go in order but still have my notes in order. I think I started by going through each unit and writing down the religious attitudes I knew the least about, then the facts/laws/non-religious attitudes I knew the least about, and then finally things I was fairly confident with. As I really restricted the amount of space, I found that I was challenging myself to use the fewest words possible. This method was very effective for me, and I went through everything in a couple of days.

If you're running out of time, it is a waste of time to keep changing pen colour if you're doing key words in sentences in different colours, or using a different colour for each point. If colour helps you, highlight when you've finished.

Personally, I hardly revised for maths because I wanted to see where the gaps in my skills were (although we did do a few past papers in maths lessons a couple of weeks before), and for English I used YouTube for passive revision - I had a video of the play we're studying on while I tidied my room and once that was finished I switched to videos explaining and analysing the play. If you do feel like you don't need to revise very much for one or two mocks, you could take this sort of approach.

Good luck in your mocks, and remember that there's plenty of time to revise for the real exams if you don't do as well as you'd hoped!
Thank you soo much man this is actually a really good idea I'm gonna start that now.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

When did you submit your Ucas application if you applied to go to university this year?

September 2021 (16)
7.02%
October 2021 (112)
49.12%
November 2021 (23)
10.09%
December 2021 (31)
13.6%
January 2021 (19)
8.33%
I still haven't submitted it yet! (21)
9.21%