The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Edinburgh offers 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jackainslie
I got an offer for English Literature a couple of weeks ago.

Congrats :biggrin: what r ur grades and are you still at school, if you don't mind my asking?
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Original post by cmcurrie2
anyone have any offers for music yet???

I applied for the MA on 8th of October and still haven't heard anything!
Original post by TheaSands
I applied for the MA on 8th of October and still haven't heard anything!

May I ask you where do you come from? I think they are letting in international students first.
Original post by mudkipleo
May I ask you where do you come from? I think they are letting in international students first.

International, not including EU.

Scotland, yeah I thought that based on these threads. It's so annoying though as I've got offers from everywhere else and just waiting on them now haha!
Original post by TheaSands
Scotland, yeah I thought that based on these threads. It's so annoying though as I've got offers from everywhere else and just waiting on them now haha!

Honestly I don't really care since I got Imperial already. I just wanted a nice insurance, but I guess they will be giving free offers to international applicants and high offers to EU students. It is ridiculous how a well known university like Edinburgh does these stupid things (they should be ashamed of doing this, since you are not judged by your skills but you are judged by how much you pay) which is mainly why they will probably lose my insurance too.
Honestly I don't really care since I got Imperial already. I just wanted a nice insurance, but I guess they will be giving free offers to international applicants and high offers to EU students. It is ridiculous how a well known university like Edinburgh does these stupid things (they should be ashamed of doing this, since you are not judged by your skills but you are judged by how much you pay) which is mainly why they will probably lose my insurance too.

That is not necessarily fair or true. The score you have to get on the SAT in order to go to Edinburgh is incredibly high in comparison to the national average, and the average at my high school. You also have to get either 2 subject tests, or 2 AP tests or a combination, at pretty high scores. I get that it's harder to get in as a home student, but it's definitely not easy as an away student. Most of my friends can't get over a 1600 on the SATs, and people who can get an 1800 or higher are definitely in the minority. I got a 1940. I worked really hard for that. I just don't think it's fair of you to say that we are getting these offers for free, because we are not. Also, free is an ironic term to use, because you are going to get to go to school practically for free, I am going to have to pay upwards of 35,000 dollars a year for the same education just because my parents decided to move to America when I was ten.

Uhuh. So bad. Imperial definitely doesn't do this. :rolleyes:
Original post by reallytrulee
That is not necessarily fair or true. The score you have to get on the SAT in order to go to Edinburgh is incredibly high in comparison to the national average, and the average at my high school. You also have to get either 2 subject tests, or 2 AP tests or a combination, at pretty high scores. I get that it's harder to get in as a home student, but it's definitely not easy as an away student. Most of my friends can't get over a 1600 on the SATs, and people who can get an 1800 or higher are definitely in the minority. I got a 1940. I worked really hard for that. I just don't think it's fair of you to say that we are getting these offers for free, because we are not. Also, free is an ironic term to use, because you are going to get to go to school practically for free, I am going to have to pay upwards of 35,000 dollars a year for the same education just because my parents decided to move to America when I was ten.

Well even though I take IB, but I was referring to the range for offers for A-Levels students (which in facts it is lower for international students).
I do not think it is fair to let the home pay almost nothing and allow internationals to pay a high price (although US universities would charge you quite a lot if you are European, although I admit I'm not really informed about it.)
SAT as far as I'm aware you can repeat it, while A-Levels and IB is not really something you can easily repeat (although there are some people that do).

As far as I'm concerned in IB they give offers of around 34 points to students that are internationals and 37 to EU students (which is quite different if you knew the IB) but that is not even the point I'm trying to make.

What I was focusing on, was that they try to do this game of the "Lower offer" so they get chosen by applicants, without really considering the skills of the applicant, but because he/she will pay more entry fees, which from my perspective is not what they should do. Either they give the same offers to everyone and allow a more equal share of the fees (come on, richer people could pay a little bit more rather than letting somebody pay for 30 home students, and the same applies for home students). Thus I think the University of Edinburgh deeply failed and keeps ruining its reputation every year by accepting students because of their nationality first, and later because of the skills. In addition I believe that if somebody applied earlier than others, they should process their application earlier, but apparently it's not the case with them.

I'm sure you have your own ideas and you worked hard for your grades, but we all made a choice to apply there, and if I feel like the equality in the application process hasn't been followed, I just say openly what I think although it really isn't going to change anything. Btw I initially just wanted to know if any EU student got any offers from them in the Sciences and apparently nobody answered, and nobody in my school has received anything except internationals that applied late, so I just wondered whether I should be expecting something soon or not.

Peace and good luck with everything, I hope I didn't sound too bad, I'm probably just frustrated because they are taking quite a long time, but of course I like the Uni and that is the main reason I applied there and care about how they are assessing applications, but there are small things that a top uni like Edinburgh (from my point of view) should not do, simple as that.
Original post by nearlyheadlessian
Uhuh. So bad. Imperial definitely doesn't do this. :rolleyes:
They don't give lower offers because you pay a higher fee, which I think is the point you did not get from my previous post? Anyways I didn't want to sound arrogant or anything, as I already said.
(edited 8 years ago)
Well even though I take IB, but I was referring to the range for offers for A-Levels students (which in facts it is lower for international students).
I do not think it is fair to let the home pay almost nothing and allow internationals to pay a high price (although US universities would charge you quite a lot if you are European, although I admit I'm not really informed about it.)
SAT as far as I'm aware you can repeat it, while A-Levels and IB is not really something you can easily repeat (although there are some people that do).

As far as I'm concerned in IB they give offers of around 34 points to students that are internationals and 37 to EU students (which is quite different if you knew the IB) but that is not even the point I'm trying to make.

What I was focusing on, was that they try to do this game of the "Lower offer" so they get chosen by applicants, without really considering the skills of the applicant, but because he/she will pay more entry fees, which from my perspective is not what they should do. Either they give the same offers to everyone and allow a more equal share of the fees (come on, richer people could pay a little bit more rather than letting somebody pay for 30 home students, and the same applies for home students). Thus I think the University of Edinburgh deeply failed and keeps ruining its reputation every year by accepting students because of their nationality first, and later because of the skills. In addition I believe that if somebody applied earlier than others, they should process their application earlier, but apparently it's not the case with them.

I'm sure you have your own ideas and you worked hard for your grades, but we all made a choice to apply there, and if I feel like the equality in the application process hasn't been followed, I just say openly what I think although it really isn't going to change anything. Btw I initially just wanted to know if any EU student got any offers from them in the Sciences and apparently nobody answered, and nobody in my school has received anything except internationals that applied late, so I just wondered whether I should be expecting something soon or not.

Peace and good luck with everything, I hope I didn't sound too bad, I'm probably just frustrated because they are taking quite a long time, but of course I like the Uni and that is the main reason I applied there and care about how they are assessing applications, but there are small things that a top uni like Edinburgh (from my point of view) should not do, simple as that.
They don't give lower offers because you pay a higher fee, which I think is the point you did not get from my previous post? Anyways I didn't want to sound arrogant or anything, as I already said.

I completely agree with you. I applied to Biological Sciences from the EU with the IB on October 14th, and have yet to hear from them. I find it unfair that because of the financial benefit they gain, the university makes it easier for international students who achieve lower qualifications.
They try to do this game of the "Lower offer" so they get chosen by applicants, without really considering the skills of the applicant, but because he/she will pay more entry fees, which from my perspective is not what they should do.

While this may be true, I've also heard that they're required by their government to ensure that a certain proportion of their students are international? The same with Scottish students and EU students. So if you're from England for example you're not necessarily applying for the same places as someone from somewhere like Spain.

I totally agree that it's frustrating though, and the fact that the course I'm applying for only takes 13 or so students in first year make this even more nerve-wracking, haha
Think I posted on the wrong thread earlier... got an offer for Eng Lit today. Rly pleased as they were the last to come back to me! Idk the conditions yet tho bc track is down :tongue:

No, I understood you. It's just that you're incorrect to believe that this is something confined to Edinburgh.
I've applied for economics straight have any non Scottish students got an offer yet?
Original post by tiengoku
I've applied for economics straight have any non Scottish students got an offer yet?

Spoke to an admissions tutor, said decisions will be made by end of March or sooner
Original post by tiengoku

I am a US student, and I got an offer for Biological sciences yesterday! It took just under a month to hear...still waiting for Medical Sciences...
I'd be interested to hear what conditional offers any Politics/International Relations applicants received, and what grades they have (predicted or substantive).

Kinda hitting myself over the head for not gambling.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Juanitor
I'd be interested to hear what grades/conditional offers any Politics/International Relations applicants have.

Kinda hitting myself over the head for not gambling.

My friend has an unconditional for International Relations
Original post by slothonist
My friend has an unconditional for International Relations

What were her grades?
Original post by Juanitor
What were her grades?

AAAAB in Scottish Highers

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending