Turn on thread page Beta

Has anybody taken/considering taking AEA History or another AEA? watch

ReputationRep:
    Having looked at the syllabus and specimen paper for Edexcel, I feel that the AEA takes a broader and more conceptual approach to History than I have encountered in my AS studies. I'm pretty sure that I could get some assistance at school with preparation for the AEA.

Does anybody have any knowledge of/intention to pursue History AEA or any other AEA (particularly arts/humanities) and if so, how it impacted on their 2nd year VI form studies?

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing the AEA in english. It doesn't require any extra study, it's just an exam!

ReputationRep:
    it doesn't exist for History as a subject

ReputationRep:
    I'm taking AEA Economics next year, my teacher says I need some extra advice on how to structure answers but other than that, it doesn't require much extra work if you're naturally talented in a subject.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mobbdeeprob)
    Having looked at the syllabus and specimen paper for Edexcel, I feel that the AEA takes a broader and more conceptual approach to History than I have encountered in my AS studies. I'm pretty sure that I could get some assistance at school with preparation for the AEA.

Does anybody have any knowledge of/intention to pursue History AEA or any other AEA (particularly arts/humanities) and if so, how it impacted on their 2nd year VI form studies?
    im doing an aea geog, but not this year

ReputationRep:
    History will involve extra reading outside your period though..

I was planning on doing AEA history..till i found out it was the same day as AEA Biology, so would've had over 7 hours of exams that day..ick! & i thought Bio might be a more useful uni-bargaining tool if the unthinkable happened with chemistry!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by John Paul Jones)
    http://www.edexcel.org.uk/qualificat....aspx?id=44688

yes it does, a friend of mine is doing it.

ReputationRep:
    I'm taking AEA Critical Thinking. I hasn't really affected my A2 level studies. I don't really give it too much thought, because I don't need it to get into uni (my neglected subject I guess :rolleyes: ).
    I havn't had too much help with it, but I suppose because it is critical thinking it is not too challanging and doesn't need much teaching. I have a few books on it and hopefully they'll see me through.
    If you do have the chance to do one you should go for it.

M x

im taking chem & bio aeas

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by John Paul Jones)
    Edexcel have an AEA History paper, it is apparently accessible to all time periods of history.

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

I'm gonna do the AEA Spanish exam on the 2nd of July.

C ya,

Jordan

ReputationRep:

Sorry about late response... but i took it on monday. I did no work for it, and to be honest there is little that you can do for it. There's two (long) sources, with a comprehension style question (6), comparison (20) and a knowledge based answer (ours was "Source 1 talks of great men. Choose a historical figure you regard to be great and justify your opinion) (14 marks)

Last question is a general one for 20 marks. Choice of 4 questions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by teamvillage)
    Sorry about late response... but i took it on monday. I did no work for it, and to be honest there is little that you can do for it. There's two (long) sources, with a comprehension style question (6), comparison (20) and a knowledge based answer (ours was "Source 1 talks of great men. Choose a historical figure you regard to be great and justify your opinion) (14 marks)

Last question is a general one for 20 marks. Choice of 4 questions.
    Thankyou for the reply, it is much appreciated. I have a few questions which I would be grateful if you could answer, as I am seriously considering AEA - and you have done it!

Did you do this on Edexcel board?

Do you read a lot of history books outside of the syllabus?

How do you think it went?

ReputationRep:
    Thankyou for the reply, it is much appreciated. I have a few questions which I would be grateful if you could answer, as I am seriously considering AEA - and you have done it!

Did you do this on Edexcel board?

Do you read a lot of history books outside of the syllabus?

How do you think it went?
    Only one board offer each AEA... History is Edexcel

I read alot around rather than outside the syllabus (if that makes sense) ie lots of WW2/Stalin books because I'm studying them.

I think the AEA suits me well because I'm better with theory & concepts rather than facts & figures. Though in an exam as competitive as that, I haven't got a clue what that means in terms of results. Guess I would be disappointed if I failed, but delighted with a distinction!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by teamvillage)
    Only one board offer each AEA... History is Edexcel

I read alot around rather than outside the syllabus (if that makes sense) ie lots of WW2/Stalin books because I'm studying them.

I think the AEA suits me well because I'm better with theory & concepts rather than facts & figures. Though in an exam as competitive as that, I haven't got a clue what that means in terms of results. Guess I would be disappointed if I failed, but delighted with a distinction!
    I did that AEA, although it was quite ok, I don't expect to pass because no one ever does. It's definately worth a bash, it required no extra reading outside what I needed to read for A-level and for university applications, and was only 3hrs long.

ReputationRep:
    I did Econs and it was okay..... just go in with a clear mind.

ReputationRep:
    I'm considering doing AEA Physics and AEA Maths next year.

Does anyone think that if you do Maths on the same exam board as that of which the AEA is being taken on, that it will be an advantage over applicants doing Maths on a different exam board to that of the AEA?

University open days

• University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.