Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I made the worst choice in year nine, I hate geography I work so hard and do everyone including case studies. My grades for this subject is always c or d. My exam is in May June and I know it's far but I can't sleep, how do u revise and get an a* for wjec geography, help please

ReputationRep:
    Omg! I'm doing the same exam board;the paper is definetly getting harder with 2 6 markers for each theme last year. But,you need to find out learning style by taking a quiz and use this to tailor your revision. For example,I'm a visual learner so u use flashcards and posters for different topics.
    Also,although it is quite vague for WJEC, the specification will tell you what you need to know...so just revise from there
    I think you should start learning all the case studies around March time;if you learn it now you will forget. Learning the case studies with every bully point is essential to get level 4.
    I HATE geography aswell,but we only have 5 more months of it .
    Oh yeah,and do your controlled assessment up to an A *,so it easier for you in the exam

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wordsaredeadly)
    Omg! I'm doing the same exam board;the paper is definetly getting harder with 2 6 markers for each theme last year. But,you need to find out learning style by taking a quiz and use this to tailor your revision. For example,I'm a visual learner so u use flashcards and posters for different topics.
    Also,although it is quite vague for WJEC, the specification will tell you what you need to know...so just revise from there
    I think you should start learning all the case studies around March time;if you learn it now you will forget. Learning the case studies with every bully point is essential to get level 4.
    I HATE geography aswell,but we only have 5 more months of it .
    Oh yeah,and do your controlled assessment up to an A *,so it easier for you in the exam
    Omg it's such a pain. And for my mocks I did the past paper the night before (I didn't know) and i knew the mark scheme and even improved it and still got a c!! I'm not allowed to re do my coursework but I have another one coming up which is 15% so it adds up to 25% so I guess I have to do well in that right?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Im on geography wjec too and only just got A*, the timing of it was really harsh and some of the questions asked wasnt what the specification told the teachers to focus when teaching so that was even more unfair.

my way with revising is like any other subject, i write down the whole course into a booklet, read it over and over again.
    then i find out the technique for answering questions
    these are the main ones

Describe questions - literally JUST say what you see on the graph, using data from it too, and stop there
    Explain questions - this is where you need to say ''because'' and use your geographical skill
    6 mark questions - ALWAYS include a case study, use its data and facts and what happened in the case study, how did that place solve the issue such as flooding, earthquakes, tourism etc.
    Drawing a diagram questions - In a course such as Rivers, only learn the landform that you know best so for example there's meadnders, oxbow lake, water falls. I didnt even learn meanders or oxbow lake, i just revised waterfalls because in exam you can CHOOSE what to draw and label. so if you learn one and focus on it the most you'll get it in not time make sure to include a descriptive annotation not just labels.

My teacher made a website with all the wjec geography notes on them
    check it out if you want, they're really good brief notes.

http://croesy-gcse-geography.doomby.com

on the right hand side of the website is the course for year 10 and 11. pick which one you need

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much omg this was helpful!!

ReputationRep:
    Also use acegeography

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.