Why is everyone so possessive/obsessed with monogamy ?? Watch

TenthBelt1993
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I don't understand why almost all young people are so possessive with people that they date? It just creates tension and issues in relationships. People are young and don't want their life controlled.

Along pretty much the same line, I don't understand why everyone thinks monogamy is so important? especially when people are so young, it seems that many a great relationship gets ruined because of it.
Drunk Punx
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I think you'll find that many great relationships get ruined because people cheat on their partners, not because they're in an exclusive relationship.

The standard relationship model is monogamy. If an open relationship is to be pursued then it should discussed first.

I don't really know what else to say here, this is common sense in its most basic form.

How possessive people are is down to the insecurities of the individual. Granted, people might be less possessive if the standard relationship model incorporated more than 2 people, but it doesn't. A thought experiment could be conducted, but you'd find no conclusive physical proof that people would be generally more relaxed around their partners if an open relationship was the standard because it doesn't match up to current social attitudes.
Danny McCoyne
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Why is your reputation red? The red gems look better than the green ones. I want red gems. I want them right now.
TenthBelt1993
Rep:
?
(Original post by Drunk Punx)
I think you'll find that many great relationships get ruined because people cheat on their partners, not because they're in an exclusive relationship.

The standard relationship model is monogamy. If an open relationship is to be pursued then it should discussed first.

I don't really know what else to say here, this is common sense in its most basic form.

How possessive people are is down to the insecurities of the individual. Granted, people might be less possessive if the standard relationship model incorporated more than 2 people, but it doesn't. A thought experiment could be conducted, but you'd find no conclusive physical proof that people would be generally more relaxed around their partners if an open relationship was the standard because it doesn't match up to current social attitudes.
And I would say that the it was the excessive monogamy that lead to "cheating" being defined as "cheating" and that being what killed the relationship.

The fact is lots and lots of fantastic relationships between young people are being destroyed because of monogamy (or cheating - they are effectively the same thing).
sunnydespair
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Everyone is different. I however know that monogamy is the only solution for me .
Drunk Punx
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Sabster)
And I would say that the it was the excessive monogamy that lead to "cheating" being defined as "cheating" and that being what killed the relationship.
Being a **** leads to cheating. Being in a monogamous relationship is about exclusivity, trust, and loyalty. If someone can't uphold these values due to not being able to keep it in their pants then their selfish and infantile attitude is to blame, not monogamy.

The fact is lots and lots of fantastic relationships between young people are being destroyed because of monogamy (or cheating - they are effectively the same thing).
Dude, it's not late enough in the day yet for TSR to go off it's daily deep end, you're a good few hours early.

Monogamy is the concept of being exclusive to your partner. Cheating is the act of deliberately breaching the trust of that relationship. The only thing they have in common is that they're both centered around the concept of relationships, other than that they're completely different.

I can see where you're coming from, but you're wrong.

It's like saying "the king killed loads of people, the concept of Monarchy is to blame!" No, the king is to blame.

Stop trying to remove personal responsibility by taking it away from the actions of the offender and placing it on a concept.
TenthBelt1993
Rep:
?
(Original post by Drunk Punx)
Being a **** leads to cheating. Being in a monogamous relationship is about exclusivity, trust, and loyalty. If someone can't uphold these values due to not being able to keep it in their pants then their selfish and infantile attitude is to blame, not monogamy.

Dude, it's not late enough in the day yet for TSR to go off it's daily deep end, you're a good few hours early.

Monogamy is the concept of being exclusive to your partner. Cheating is the act of deliberately breaching the trust of that relationship. The only thing they have in common is that they're both centered around the concept of relationships, other than that they're completely different.

I can see where you're coming from, but you're wrong.

It's like saying "the king killed loads of people, the concept of Monarchy is to blame!" No, the king is to blame.

Stop trying to remove personal responsibility by taking it away from the actions of the offender and placing it on a concept.
Obviously this is a subjective point and the true answer lies somwehere in the middle.

But at this point in time monogamy is the default in almost all relationships (no matter how old you are etc). I feel that this needs to change so that the best relationships can have a change to survive rather than being destroyed by a societal construct.

You have to ask, why do we want/need monogamy? It is because you are insecure in yourself and would become jealous.
TenthBelt1993
Rep:
?
(Original post by sunnydespair)
Everyone is different. I however know that monogamy is the only solution for me .
Why?
ChickenMadness
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
uh nah you just need to be honest about the type of relationship you want lol. Loads of people do the FWB thing and sleep around without the other person caring.
Tpos
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Danny McCoyne)
Why is your reputation red? The red gems look better than the green ones. I want red gems. I want them right now.
Back in the day TSR allowed you to negatively rate posts as well as positively. The more neg reps the more red gems.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Biology Paper 3 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (264)
15.31%
The paper was reasonable (960)
55.68%
Not feeling great about that exam... (371)
21.52%
It was TERRIBLE (129)
7.48%

Watched Threads