The Student Room Group

Really stuck Balancing an Equation - please help

I have done lots of revision but finding it really hard to balance equations.

Firstly, I have come up against this question

(Q): Look at this balanced equation - 4Na + 02 => 2Na2O

How many moles of Na2o are produced when 6 moles of Na react with 1.5 moles of O2?

Firstly I don't understand why Na + O2 -> 2Na2O?

Surely 2NaO would make more sense being balanced, because 2NaO means that there are 2 of everything? because 2Na2O means that there are 4 Na's and only 2 O's, which doesn't seem balanced
Reply 1
i understand your reason but the reason is Na2O is because of the charges of Na and O..sodium's charge is NA+ whiles oxygens charge is 2+ therefore two atoms of Na is needed to balance one atom of oxygen.. that is why it is Na2O... in other words, 2 atoms of sodium are needed for oxygen to have a full valence electrons(outer electrons)
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
Firstly,

molar ratio = 4:1:2 so 6 moles of Na would be 6:1.5:3

6/4 = 1.5. Thus times 2 by 1.5.

Secondly, Oxygen can make 2 bonds as it has 6 electrons in its outershell and requires 2 more for 8 in total for stability. Sodium has 1 electron in its outershell and can lose 1 electron for stability.

Thats why its Na20.

I havent done chemistry for 4+ years so hopefully thatll do.
Reply 3
The answer is 3.
Reply 4
Original post by guidoblee
The answer is 3.

Yes, I know, but I don't understand why 1.5 moles of o2 reacts with 6 moles of Na
Reply 5
Original post by Sam00
Yes, I know, but I don't understand why 1.5 moles of o2 reacts with 6 moles of Na

The ratio is 4:1:2 which is equivalent to 6:1.5:3

1.5O2 = 3O

O has a charge of 2- so can bond with 2 Na molecules as they have a charge of +1.

With O making 2 bonds.

3 moles of O can bond with 6 moles of Na.
Reply 6
Original post by Sam00

I think you are getting confused because O2 as a gas is diatomic, that is it exists as oxygen molecules made up of 2 atoms per molecule and Na has one sodium atom.

2 sodium atoms reacts with one oxygen atom to produce Na2O.

Therefore 6 sodium atoms reacts with 3 oxygen atoms.

Because oxygen gas is made up of diatomic molecules, 6 moles of sodium reacts with 1.5 moles of oxygen gas.
Reply 7
Original post by Maker
I think you are getting confused because O2 as a gas is diatomic, that is it exists as oxygen molecules made up of 2 atoms per molecule and Na has one sodium atom.

2 sodium atoms reacts with one oxygen atom to produce Na2O.

Therefore 6 sodium atoms reacts with 3 oxygen atoms.

Because oxygen gas is made up of diatomic molecules, 6 moles of sodium reacts with 1.5 moles of oxygen gas.

That makes sense, but I am confused as to why 6 moles of sodium, and 1.5 moles of Oxygen makes only 3 moles of NaO?

Surely 6Na + 1.5O2 (Which is the same as 3O) ----> would make 3Na2O
Reply 8
Original post by Sam00
That makes sense, but I am confused as to why 6 moles of sodium, and 1.5 moles of Oxygen makes only 3 moles of NaO?

Surely 6Na + 1.5O2 (Which is the same as 3O) ----> would make 3Na2O

Each mole of Na2O contains 2 moles of Na.
Reply 9
This is a limiting reagent question
Original post by Sam00

Firstly I don't understand why Na + O2 -> 2Na2O?

Surely 2NaO would make more sense being balanced, because 2NaO means that there are 2 of everything? because 2Na2O means that there are 4 Na's and only 2 O's, which doesn't seem balanced

Okay, it's Na2O because oxygen has a valency of 2, while sodium has a valency of 1, this means that the oxygen, in order to be stable, has to make 2 bonds, therefor we see the 2 sodium atoms in the molecule.
Original post by Pheonixfeather3
Okay, it's Na2O because oxygen has a valency of 2, while sodium has a valency of 1, this means that the oxygen, in order to be stable, has to make 2 bonds, therefor we see the 2 sodium atoms in the molecule.

More or less right, apart from the fact that Na2O isn't molecular, it is ionic. So, rather than forming two bonds, it forms ions with a 2- charge, which require 2x 1+ ions to cancel each other out.
Original post by Pigster
More or less right, apart from the fact that Na2O isn't molecular, it is ionic. So, rather than forming two bonds, it forms ions with a 2- charge, which require 2x 1+ ions to cancel each other out.

Oh yeah, so it is. Thank you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest