Turn on thread page Beta

Tories commence assault against atheism in schools watch

ReputationRep:
    This is absolutely disgusting. I'd never have taken the modern Conservative Party to be mindlessly theistic. I disagree with the Tories on many issues, but I had imagined they had evolved on the issue of religion. It appears not. The Education Secretary is now leading an attack against the principle that students should even be taught about atheism.

http://hurryupharry.org/2015/12/28/n...sm-in-schools/

A source close to Morgan was quoted by the Press Association as saying: “Nicky has had enough of campaign groups using the courts to try and force the teaching of atheism and humanism to kids against parent’s wishes.“That’s why she’s taking a stand to protect the right of schools to prioritise the teaching of Christianity and other major religions.”

Mrs Morgan is concerned that humanists are using the courts as part of a “creeping ratchet effect” which will ultimately see primary schools forced to teach children about atheism.

ReputationRep:
    well to be honest I'd expect the same from the labour party seeing as they expanded the faith schools project in the first place

ReputationRep:
    The Tory party has turned into this weird group of DM reading, countryside dwelling, middle class types you would expect to basically live at their CoE Church fetes..

ReputationRep:
    I saw that, it annoyed me to no end. What's next, allowing strict faith schools not to teach evolution? We're a Christian country goddammit!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by woIfie)
    This is absolutely disgusting. I'd never have taken the modern Conservative Party to be mindlessly theistic. I disagree with the Tories on many issues, but I had imagined they had evolved on the issue of religion. It appears not. The Education Secretary is now leading an attack against the principle that students should even be taught about atheism.

http://hurryupharry.org/2015/12/28/n...sm-in-schools/
    I gave up on Tories and Labour a long time ago when it came to their religious policy.

The fact Corbyn preaches equality yet proudly addresses a room where women are forced to sit separately from men shows how they too are going backwards.

ReputationRep:
    While theyre at it they should restart the crusades, bring back the British Empire, reinstate slavery and build trains in India.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abruiseonthesky)
    I saw that, it annoyed me to no end. What's next, allowing strict faith schools not to teach evolution? We're a Christian country goddammit!!!!!
    You know this is already in practice? In Catholic and Islamic schools. Of those I have spoke to who attend them, either it is never mentioned, mentioned during one lesson in the year and/or is incredibly bias in discrediting it.

Do you actually support the existence of faith schools? I thought the Birmingham ones exposed last year for their actions would have been any reason not to

ReputationRep:
    Only a matter of time till all our schools follow strict Islamic protocol.

Spoiler:
    Show
    Before anyone gets upset, this is Satirical

ReputationRep:
    He's right tho

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gears265)
    You know this is already in practice? In Catholic and Islamic schools. Of those I have spoke to who attend them, either it is never mentioned, mentioned during one lesson in the year and/or is incredibly bias in discrediting it.

Do you actually support the existence of faith schools? I thought the Birmingham ones exposed last year for their actions would have been any reason not to
    It's not - they're legally obliged to teach evolution on the biology syllabus, however I am aware they say 'you have to learn this for GCSE but we believe [insert creation story]'

Nope, not at all. Schools should be secular.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A Serious Man)
    The Tory party has turned into this weird group of DM reading, countryside dwelling, middle class types you would expect to basically live at their CoE Church fetes..
    The Tory party is pro EU (it's their policy) while the DM is anti-EU so how does that make sense?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abruiseonthesky)
    It's not - they're legally obliged to teach evolution on the biology syllabus, however I am aware they say 'you have to learn this for GCSE but we believe [insert creation story]'

Nope, not at all. Schools should be secular.
    My point is all the evidence is against that. There were schools in Birmingham which never taught it but went beyond that to have sharia like rules. It was in the news so I am sure you heard about it. I talk to many catholic and Islamic students who went to these schools and like I said it was as if they spent 1 hour in the year talking about evolution...and talking about how wrong it is, not even teaching what it really stands for. If that is your interpretation of teaching it I don't know what is. I even spoke to some who did not recall ever learning it.

ReputationRep:

This is untrue I went to a Catholic High School we were taught about all religions and atheism our actual RE exam had nothing to do with Catholicism at all explicitly. I'm agnostic btw. Why shouldn't there be faith schools? At my old High School and current college which is Catholic I'd guess 90% of students and teachers are not religious to my knowledge. A faith doesn't affect a school's teaching in my opinion, in my experience.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    And my science teacher at my high school taught us about evolution very well GCSE(she made it clear she was catholic) as a result most of my class got A* or As😊

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Theawesomejem)
    This is untrue I went to a Catholic High School we were taught about all religions and atheism our actual RE exam had nothing to do with Catholicism at all explicitly. I'm agnostic btw. Why shouldn't there be faith schools? At my old High School and current college which is Catholic I'd guess 90% of students and teachers are not religious to my knowledge. A faith doesn't affect a school's teaching in my opinion, in my experience.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Schools should be secular and religion should be erased

ReputationRep:
    My point is all the evidence is against that. There were schools in Birmingham which never taught it but went beyond that to have sharia like rules. It was in the news so I am sure you heard about it. I talk to many catholic and Islamic students who went to these schools and like I said it was as if they spent 1 hour in the year talking about evolution...and talking about how wrong it is, not even teaching what it really stands for. If that is your interpretation of teaching it I don't know what is. I even spoke to some who did not recall ever learning it.
    Tbf, legally obliged =/= happening haha
    Anyway, like I said, I don't think we should have faith schools anyway

ReputationRep:
    My experience of attending a faith school turned me into a militant atheist, so I don't have a problem with faith schools as a means of prompting non-faith.

ReputationRep:
    Schools should be secular and religion should be erased
    Religion has not had an impact on my learning if anything it's made me more informed to make up my decision. In RE I learnt about Islam at a catholic school if i hadn't who knows I might be ignorant like many people who think that IS are Islam.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I think we should have schools not necessarily affiliated with faith but taught about all the different faiths so we can be informed and learn to be accepting.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    When they start handing out these text books we'll have a problem. :lol:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 30, 2015
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.