The Student Room Group

Do you revise with music?

If so:

What genre?
Do you feel it helps?
Could you revise without it?

Just curious :tongue:
Reply 1
I always work with music on, although I don't know if it helps or not. I pretty much only listen to EDM and dubstep which probably isn't the best choice for revising :P But I couldn't work without it, I go crazy when working in total silence.
Tried it in the past, unfortunately has never worked for me, especially music with words. Classic music without words has worked better, however silence is preferred. Tried white noise recently, works to some extent in noisy environments.:biggrin:
Reply 3
Dosen't help unless its classical but i don't listen to music while revising.
I don't revise with music, it's too distracting.

However I do drawing with music, all the time.
Heavy metal with a slight touch of Swedish Deathmetal
Don't like doing it but yeah, to block out any sounds in the house
calm IDM, artists like Ametsub. Has that chilled elevator feel but a bit more to my tastes

Posted from TSR Mobile
Prefer silence when revising so I can listen to the voices in my head.

If I'm doing assignments, I have relaxing instrumentals on in the background, things with pianos playing etc.
Yes I do, as long as there are no lyrics I recognize!
I listen to music with no lyrics or in another language, ranging from classical to techno (spotify is awesome for this, they have a whole bunch of albums under "study" that really work). Devandra banhart- mala is my favorite by far for maths papers (even though it has lyrics.)
It just helps get me in the mood for revising and a full album kinda gives you commitment to finish a paper and not get distracted. Metal is great for long maths problems. I get distracted and bored sometimes so the music really does help.

LSS, any genre really, it helps a lot. I might be a bit worse without music, but definitely not dependent on it, kinda like creatine for extra reps in gym workouts :smile:
Original post by Kozmo
If so:

What genre?
Do you feel it helps?
Could you revise without it?

Just curious :tongue:

When I am learning and understanding the content I either dont listen to music or I listen to study music which is classical.

When I am doing questions I listen to motivational videos, or random music from my football playlist (I actually dont know the genres but imagine rap,hiphop)
There are several scientific sources that point to music having a dampening effect on one's ability to assimilate and understand information. I prefer silence whilst working, but music is fine for the 'in-between' breaks.
Yessir, I couldn't revise without it - anything from rap to classical and a few motivational speeches now and again

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Original post by High Stakes
There are several scientific sources that point to music having a dampening effect on one's ability to assimilate and understand information. I prefer silence whilst working, but music is fine for the 'in-between' breaks.

I follow the same general ideology. I listen to music when I'm having breaks, though.

I wonder what the research suggests about general ambient noise - talking, traffic, the processor of a computer etc. etc.
Original post by Kozmo
I follow the same general ideology. I listen to music when I'm having breaks, though.

I wonder what the research suggests about general ambient noise - talking, traffic, the processor of a computer etc. etc.

I think it did cover that aspect. Ambient noise is fine because eventually our brain will no longer process it as a new stimuli - it's simply there. With music, there's lyrics, changes in tempo and rhythm. We're also purposely putting that music on. So our brain will catch a few songs every now and then if that makes sense; maybe you'll hear a lyric that you remember and it will linger for a few moments in your mind.

Quick Reply

Latest