My mum is starving herself... Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
My mum is becoming overly obsessed with her body image. She's not eating and im getting really scared. I know she really wants to loose weight but skipping meals is dangerous ! Today she didnt have anything to eat for breakfast and started exercising straight away for about an hour. I heard a loud thud on the floor downstairs and i came running to find her faint and having a fit on the floor infront of my 7 year old sister. She wasnt breathing and her face was so pale i called 999 but she recovered straight away after a few seconds so i cancelled it. When i told her i called 999 she told me i shouldn't and she didnt 'really faint'. This isnt the first time its happened, she starves herself at work too when she comes home i can hear her throwing up in the bathroom. She cooks dinner but she wont eat anything. She tells me she has a protein shake in the morning and thats it, she doesnt have a lunch or anything, i think she's developing a disorder but i dont want to call any helplines becuase she'll just get really angry and stressed which she already is. My younger siblings are getting scared too, i dont know what i should do .
Shady778
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
My mum is becoming overly obsessed with her body image. She's not eating and im getting really scared. I know she really wants to loose weight but skipping meals is dangerous ! Today she didnt have anything to eat for breakfast and started exercising straight away for about an hour. I heard a loud thud on the floor downstairs and i came running to find her faint and having a fit on the floor infront of my 7 year old sister. She wasnt breathing and her face was so pale i called 999 but she recovered straight away after a few seconds so i cancelled it. When i told her i called 999 she told me i shouldn't and she didnt 'really faint'. This isnt the first time its happened, she starves herself at work too when she comes home i can hear her throwing up in the bathroom. She cooks dinner but she wont eat anything. She tells me she has a protein shake in the morning and thats it, she doesnt have a lunch or anything, i think she's developing a disorder but i dont want to call any helplines becuase she'll just get really angry and stressed which she already is. My younger siblings are getting scared too, i dont know what i should do .
You really need to explain that eating practically nothing will not help her lose weight to a healthy state. She will become anorexic which is no better than being overweight.
seventhstranger_
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
You have to call helplines before it's too late. She may be angry and stressed at you now, but she'll be grateful in the long run. This is so dangerous and as her daughter you're not going to just stand and watch her degenerate, are you? Sometimes we have to make difficult choices but honestly, getting help (even if she doesn't want it) is the very best thing to do right now.
Blondie987
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
As angry as your mum may be about you getting her help, I'm sure she'll thank you in the end and her disorder may have a negative effect on your siblings. I would seek help
dancing sloth
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Ring your GP's surgery and ask to have an urgent conversation with your mum's doctor.
Explain.

The fit is serious.
You have to take matters into your own hands.
:hugs::goodluck:
Philbert
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
As well as contacting your GP as Sloth suggested, if possible, get other family members involved. It may embarrass your Mum now, but if at least one oher person close to her knows, it could convince her to get help.
RainbowKiwi
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Talk to another adult that's close to ur mum so they can have a serious chat with her. You need to deal with it now before it gets further out of control. She won't be happy but it's for the best.
Anonymous #2
Report 3 years ago
talk to the GP NOW
if you want your mum to be still with you this time next year
you better ring as soon as possible

she'll be pissed - but you'd have saved her life
jaguargirl
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hello anonymous - this is another mum here - your mum already has an eating disorder and needs professional help. This is too much for anyone to manage alone - is there another adult you can turn to, anyone, family member, friend? If so, talk to them and DEMAND their help to get a GP appointment for referral to an eating disorders clinic. If not, I'm guessing you're in school/ college, in which case please speak to a teacher - they have a duty of care also. Eating disorders don't go away on their own - no matter how old the sufferer - BUT they can be beaten with the right help. Your mum won't lose her children by taking up professional help - she shouldn't be worried on that front. Yes she'll be mad, but that's the eating disorder talking, not her.

A great resource is BEAT (you can find them easily online and by phone) - they have a helpline you can contact right now for support to help point you in the right direction.

Basically what I'm trying to say is that you're right in spotting there's a real problem here & that you're right to want to do something about it. Wish you all the best, you sound like a wonderful son/ daughter xx
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Chemistry Paper 3 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (256)
32.08%
The paper was reasonable (390)
48.87%
Not feeling great about that exam... (90)
11.28%
It was TERRIBLE (62)
7.77%

Watched Threads