Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Basically, for the past two months I have been battling with hypochondria, body dysmorphia, depression and anxiety. I feel like a complete and utter mess. After attending a CBT session the therapist told me I was sufferring from these symptoms as a result of 'boredom'. Personally to an extent I feel as if thats true because I have no job and no social life. I'm also trying to study but constantly keep distracting myself. I am in a constant state of anxiety. In the past months I thought I had melanoma, motor neurone, breast cancer and rn after spotting a really tiny white patch on my arm I think I have vitiligo (when I know I don't) but I can't stop checking my arms. Someone please help ((((( I'm driving myself mad!!!!
Little Popcorns
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Basically, for the past two months I have been battling with hypochondria, body dysmorphia, depression and anxiety. I feel like a complete and utter mess. After attending a CBT session the therapist told me I was sufferring from these symptoms as a result of 'boredom'. Personally to an extent I feel as if thats true because I have no job and no social life. I'm also trying to study but constantly keep distracting myself. I am in a constant state of anxiety. In the past months I thought I had melanoma, motor neurone, breast cancer and rn after spotting a really tiny white patch on my arm I think I have vitiligo (when I know I don't) but I can't stop checking my arms. Someone please help ((((( I'm driving myself mad!!!!
Tbh I think saying it's boredom is a bit stupid of your therapist they could have said something like ' you need to fill your time with things that you're interested in and help you distract yourself from your anxiety triggers'. Saying it's the result of boredom makes it sound like you're just sitting about wasting your time waiting for something to do and then you decide to resort to having pretty distressing symptoms of anxiety having nothing better to do. And to suggest that is obv bull****, in a word.

But even distractions only go so far to helping with anxiety. Some of the stuff your CBT therapist should be encouraging you to do involves challenging your fears through gradually exposing yourself to them. Your therapist should hopefully start taking you through this as the sessions go on...
Some of the things that they might expect you to do or think might take you well out of your comfort zone but please give them a go and push forward.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (224)
67.47%
No (108)
32.53%

Watched Threads