Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Why is it that most people consider believing in such things as God and metaphysical powers (psychic powers etc) to be keeping an open mind? Surely having blind faith and disregarding any other equally credible explanation is keeping a closed mind, since you have closed your mind to a single, sole belief.

ReputationRep:
    Keeping an open mind does not imply that you do not have a view that you believe in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DivideByZero)
    Why is it that most people consider believing in such things as God and metaphysical powers (psychic powers etc) to be keeping an open mind? Surely having blind faith and disregarding any other equally credible explanation is keeping a closed mind, since you have closed your mind to a single, sole belief.
    Believing in God doesn't mean you have a closed mind. It just means that that is the theory which appeals to you the most at that time. I agree some religious people may seem closed-minded but most are willing to listen to other theories about the creation of the earth etc. If they choose to reject them it just means it doesn't make as much sense to them as the concept of God. You can't just sit on the fence your whole life!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sarah101)
    Believing in God doesn't mean you have a closed mind. It just means that that is the theory which appeals to you the most at that time.
    Call it hope then, don't call it a belief. Belief means that you accept it as true, be is absolutely true or relatively true. My problem is with beliefs in absolute truth, because they are all faith beliefs and this means that there are an infinite number of other equally credible explanations that have been disregarded as false and this is why it is keeping a closed mind as opposed to an open one.

ReputationRep:

THANKYOU!! YES EXACTLY!!

ReputationRep:
    Call it hope then, don't call it a belief. Belief means that you accept it as true, be is absolutely true or relatively true. My problem is with beliefs in absolute truth, because they are all faith beliefs and this means that there are an infinite number of other equally credible explanations that have been disregarded as false.
    Not disregarded as false, just not what the individual chooses to believe given the options and their respective justifications.

ReputationRep:
    but surely those who disregard anything religious or unexplainable is keeping a closed mind as you are refuding to accept that there may be things you cannot actually explain.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZJuwelH)
    Not disregarded as false, just not what the individual chooses to believe given the options and their respective justifications.
    If you have a belief in one thing, there must statements which you disregard as false. If you believe it is absolutely true that God exists then you must disgregard the following statement as absolutely false:
    "God does not exist"

However, a belief that 'God does not exist' requires just as much faith as a belief that 'God does exist'. Being agnostic is keeping an open mind. Faith is keeping a closed mind.

ReputationRep:
    If you have a belief in one thing, there must statements which you disregard as false. If you believe it is absolutely true that God exists then you must disgregard the following statement as absolutely false:
    "God does not exist"

However, a belief that 'God does not exist' requires just as much faith as a belief that 'God does exist'. Being agnostic is keeping an open mind. Faith is keeping a closed mind.
    But surely being athiest is being just as closed minded, you refuse to concede that a god could exist, so you try to find prove in nature, which regularly is 'updated' when it is close to being disproven.

ReputationRep:
    "God does not exist"

So what's your point? You shouldn't believe in anything because to have faith in anything is to be closed-minded?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piginapoke)
    Yes it is. Which is why agnosticism is the way ahead.
    but then you will be accused of having a lack of faith by those committed to religion and foolish for considering religion by the athiests.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wiwarin_mir)
    But surely being athiest is being just as closed minded, you refuse to concede that a god could exist, so you try to find prove in nature, which regularly is 'updated' when it is close to being disproven.
    Exactly - well, not quite, but close. I agree that athiests are just as closed minded.

(Original post by sarah101)
    So what's your point? You shouldn't believe in anything because to have faith in anything is to be closed-minded?
    I'm not saying you shouldn't believe in anything - I'm simply saying that if you do choose to believe in anything (absolutely) then it is faith and you're not being 'open minded' about it.

ReputationRep:
    So would you rather no one had an opinion at all, for the sake of open-mindedness?

ReputationRep:
    So would you rather no one had an opinion at all, for the sake of open-mindedness?
    that is an opinion so people would have an opinion

ReputationRep:
    I'm not specifically saying that. All I am saying is is that having faith is not being open-minded. Regardless of how much good faith beliefs and opinions do the world, it's not open-mindedness.

ReputationRep:
    I agree how having very strong religious beliefs is not being open-minded. Disregarding something because it is not within the world of your religion can be dangerous as not everything is taking into account. On the other hand, faith is important in keeping an open mind- theres no proof for god and no proof against.

What is an open-mind thought and can anyone be truely open-minded? What we grow up with is generally what we believe and it is hard to change your way of thinking after being taught in a particular way. Religion is just part of that.

ReputationRep:
    Well it comes down to faith doesn't it. I like logic and I find that the one god faiths around today, well many things don't make sense. There are inequalities and concepts which can not even be used in present times.

I have a couple of friends who are religious and they seem pretty openminded. I think its people like extremeists who refuse to keep an open mind. When you go to extremes you pretty much start mucking things up. Live life, be a good person, do treat your neighbour kindly and just act good. I think these are he major lessons to be learnt from any faith. Except rastafarian which to me as shut as you can get.

Obviously faith is blind to the extent that either you believe there is this one god or you don't. Either way believing in God is pobably more about hope and conviction. Its infutile to discuss whether God exists or not then. Either or. But certainly being religious or whatever does not mean you don't approach science or other knowledge available. That is just ridiculous. It does not mean you cut yourself off from society and live like a munk in primitive environment.

ReputationRep:
    Is agnosticism not a belief structure in and of itself? Are you not being closed-minded by saying that "agnositicism is the best option" by refuting all others? Sounds like you're second-guessing yourselves to me.

Faith does not create the closed-mind, following it blindly does.
    I would argue a definition of "belief" that allows for variance. For example, I used to be Roman Catholic, but I kept an open mind, because I did not accept the principles I was raised with. I moved through Agnosticism to Paganism, but I keep an open mind to other religions. I integrate ideas from other religions into my own belief structure.

ReputationRep:
    There is no evidence that there is any kind of superior power in the universe; if there is one there is no reason to suppose it is interested in anything that happens in this tiny bit of the universe in the moments that life exists here; even if it does there is no reason to think it is interested in the human species; if, for some reason it is, there is no reason to think it is bothered about any of us as individuals; so there is no point whatsoever in behaving as though there were such a being or speculating about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Weejimmie)
    There is no evidence that there is any kind of superior power in the universe;
    How about the actual existence of the universe?

if there is one there is no reason to suppose it is interested in anything that happens in this tiny bit of the universe in the moments that life exists here;
    If I'd created the earth I'd probably be quite interested in how it was getting along.

even if it does there is no reason to think it is interested in the human species; there is even less reason to think it is bothered about any of us as individuals;
    If there's no reason to start with, how can there then be even less?

so there is no point whatsoeverin behaving as though there were such a being or speculating about it.
    You speak as though you KNOW that no superior being exists. There's no real evidence for that viewpoint either, so I don't see how you can be so sure.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.