TSR Mustafa
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Getting a virgin media broadband , and need to decide on whether to get Vivid 100 or Vivid 200. Also if anyone has these packages how fast does the speed actually go?
Mayhem™
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I have the (Virgin)50mbps modem (call me old-fashioned), and everything seems to run fine with the connection very rarely timing out. A speed that is double that should be flawless, unless you live in the middle of nowhere.
TheGuyReturns
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You get exactly what is offered. 100 is 100!

Also, free upgrades are being given out early next year,

If you get 100, it'll be boosted to 150. If you get 200, it'll get boosted to 250

https://keepup.virginmedia.com/speedupgrade
TSR Mustafa
Rep:
?
(Original post by Mayhem™)
I have the (Virgin)50mbps modem (call me old-fashioned), and everything seems to run fine with the connection very rarely timing out. A speed that is double that should be flawless, unless you live in the middle of nowhere.
Do you play any online games , how's the ping?
TSR Mustafa
Rep:
?
(Original post by TheGuyReturns)
You get exactly what is offered. 100 is 100!

Also, free upgrades are being given out early next year,

If you get 100, it'll be boosted to 150. If you get 200, it'll get boosted to 250
Isn't it up to 100? On my current sky package it's supposed to by 50 but i barely get 25mpbs
TheGuyReturns
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by TSR Mustafa)
Isn't it up to 100? On my current sky package it's supposed to by 50 but i barely get 25mpbs
I'm serious. I have 50 right now, and I get 52ish. Branson doesn't bull****. :lol:
Mayhem™
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Do you play any online games , how's the ping?
I play battlefield 4 and fifa 16 on the ps4, and it's fine. No idea about the ping since I'm not a PC gamer but the upload speed on the console is fine.
TSR Mustafa
Rep:
?
I'm serious. I have 50 right now, and I get 52ish. Branson doesn't bull****. :lol:
Maybe the sky broadband isn't good in my area? I recently read somewhere that ISPs are now legally required to meet certain speeds.
TSR Mustafa
Rep:
?
(Original post by Mayhem™)
I play battlefield 4 and fifa 16 on the ps4, and it's fine. No idea about the ping since I'm not a PC gamer but the upload speed on the console is fine.
Hmm mkay
TheGuyReturns
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Maybe the sky broadband isn't good in my area? I recently read somewhere that ISPs are now legally required to meet certain speeds.
It's been pretty well accepted for years that companies who use BT's phone cables give you much lower than offered speeds compared to Virgin's fiber optic cables.

ByEeek
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Virgin use the cable laid by the old Telewest at huge expense. It was bought out by NTL and then Virgin. Despite being laid in the late 80s and 90s it is much newer than the very old telephone cable everyone else has to use. I think we are on a 50mbs package and right now I am getting 42 which is pretty good. Certainly better than the half speed you are getting.
TSR Mustafa
Rep:
?
(Original post by ByEeek)
Virgin use the cable laid by the old Telewest at huge expense. It was bought out by NTL and then Virgin. Despite being laid in the late 80s and 90s it is much newer than the very old telephone cable everyone else has to use. I think we are on a 50mbs package and right now I am getting 42 which is pretty good. Certainly better than the half speed you are getting.
Thanks i've opted for the 100mb package , hopefully it's better than my current 1
ByEeek
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Thanks i've opted for the 100mb package , hopefully it's better than my current 1
It will be. We have been with NTL and now Virgin for about 10 years now. I have been very impressed with the broadband and despite being significantly more expensive, I feel it is worth it given high speeds and reliability.
Profesh
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Ditto this.
TrojanH
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm on Sky's 40mb package. And I get 40mb. It's not dropped a connection in the past year (I'm serious) and I've never been throttled. I pay like a fiver or something for it (on offer). My ping is 15ms. I live 3miles from the exchange. I wouldn't change mine to Virgin but I know that theirs is better, just not worth the price gap for me, imo. If I move to a busy area I might switch to Virgin, but I guess, each to their own.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (120)
28.1%
No - I have already returned home (57)
13.35%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (84)
19.67%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (40)
9.37%
No - I live at home during term anyway (126)
29.51%

Watched Threads