The Student Room Group

Do you think it's just as wrong to kill insects as it is animals?

do u think it's wrong to kill insects? do u think it's wrong to kill animals? is there a difference between killing an insect and killing an animal? personally i don't see a difference

and i dont mean to imply by the thread title that it is wrong to kill animals as it is opinion (not mine just thought it sound good) if you think it's not wrong then feel free to explain

Scroll to see replies

I will never kill a spider though, that much I know.

Flies though...
Reply 2
animals don't invade your home, insects do

Spoiler

I do, I never kill spiders :smile:
I dont kill spiders because i am scared that other spiders will avenge it :colondollar:
I don't think it's wrong, they are pests.

I confess to killing spiders (vacuuming them/ hairspraying them) or I get my dad to do the dirty work for me :colone:
Yes, yes, no. Insects are animals, I believe it's morally wrong to kill any animal except in the case of euthanasia, so I think it's wrong to kill insects.
Why are you guys so scared of killing spiders? I throw my mofo slippers and run the hell out of the room.
Original post by kandykissesxox
I don't think it's wrong, they are pests.

I confess to killing spiders (vacuuming them/ hairspraying them) or I get my dad to do the dirty work for me :colone:

I don't think it's wrong either but what about killing them for fun

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by eternaforest
I don't think it's wrong either but what about killing them for fun

Posted from TSR Mobile

hmm, I used to drown snails in water for fun.

God I sound like a sick *******
I feel like it depends how conscious you perceive a creature to be (suggesting how much pain it would feel) which isn't a very easy thing to do, and you would also want to take into account how "necessary" it is to kill the insect, for example in the case of animal testing on insects (whether that be for medical or non-medical reasons. I'm against non-medical and think medical should be minimal for all animals), or if you have an insect in your house- I always prefer to let them out rather than kill them.

Hair spraying spiders, drowning snails... Ever tried pouring salt on a slug? What about holding a kitten forcefully over a water bath then drowning it? Or maybe you'd like to pull the fingernails out of kids you kidnap.

Hypothetically speaking of course :wink:

Lol I used to torture insects when I was young. I was bored kid and I used to pretend I was the king of my backgarden. Many summer hours spent removing legs of woodlice with a screwdriver and seeing how long they could last with half a body :smile: making mazes out of salt and putting slugs in the middle of the maze. Capturing moths and butterflies and taking off their wings (i named them "butterwalks" haha) I eventually moved up to things like frogs, drowning them, dissecting, I even managed to decapitate one with nothing but a pint glass!

I soon realised that killing for fun was wrong (well really after my parents found out and gave me a *******ing :tongue: )

Childhood eh

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ser Alex Toyne
Hair spraying spiders, drowning snails... Ever tried pouring salt on a slug? What about holding a kitten forcefully over a water bath then drowning it? Or maybe you'd like to pull the fingernails out of kids you kidnap.

Hypothetically speaking of course :wink:

omg, I have for sure tried the salt on slug and watched how the salt devours the slug.

I dislike cats but I tolerate kittens:h:, however I wish I could do something about irritating pigeons:angry:
Original post by MelitaJay
I feel like it depends how conscious you perceive a creature to be (suggesting how much pain it would feel) which isn't a very easy thing to do, and you would also want to take into account how "necessary" it is to kill the insect, for example in the case of animal testing on insects (whether that be for medical or non-medical reasons. I'm against non-medical and think medical should be minimal for all animals), or if you have an insect in your house- I always prefer to let them out rather than kill them.

why does consciousness matter

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MelitaJay

Disagree, medical shouldn't be accepted either, from ethical and scientific viewpoints (just as a side note :tongue:)
Lol I used to torture insects when I was young. I was bored kid and I used to pretend I was the king of my backgarden. Many summer hours spent removing legs of woodlice with a screwdriver and seeing how long they could last with half a body :smile: making mazes out of salt and putting slugs in the middle of the maze. Capturing moths and butterflies and taking off their wings (i named them "butterwalks" haha) I eventually moved up to things like frogs, drowning them, dissecting, I even managed to decapitate one with nothing but a pint glass!

I soon realised that killing for fun was wrong (well really after my parents found out and gave me a *******ing :tongue: )

Childhood eh

Posted from TSR Mobile

worms were my favourite to torture , especially when I tried the experiment of cutting one end of it's body to see if it survived. I never came across woodlice but ants were my second best alternative, I used to block their path with stones or sticks :tongue:
Original post by thecatwithnohat
Why are you guys so scared of killing spiders? I throw my mofo slippers and run the hell out of the room.

I catch them under a glass and throw them out
(i.e. I make my dad get them)
omg, I have for sure tried the salt on slug and watched how the salt devours the slug.

I dislike cats but I tolerate kittens:h:, however I wish I could do something about irritating pigeons:angry:

You sound charming. I bet all the beasties would like nothing more than seeing you cook slowly over a spit. The screaming would be exquisite.

Just saying :tongue:
do u think it's wrong to kill insects? do u think it's wrong to kill animals? is there a difference between killing an insect and killing an animal? personally i don't see a difference

and i dont mean to imply by the thread title that it is wrong to kill animals as it is opinion (not mine just thought it sound good) if you think it's not wrong then feel free to explain

I think it's wrong to kill any sentient life without a reason. But seeing as most animals are more intelligent I think it's worse to kill them then insects.

Quick Reply

Latest