The Student Room Group

Birthday present ideas

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by ozzyoscy
Look, this is going to turn into an internet argument, which I'm sure you're not new to, because I'm going to have hit a nerve. So I'll go into detail and leave it at that, for anyone legitimately interested. You don't need to inform me if you've read it, or what you think of it, or how funny it is, save yourself the time:

There are some people who use terms like 'casual' and 'hardcore gamer', but it's when you look into who's using these terms and why that you see their real meaning. They'll use 'casual' to invalidate someone's opinion, and 'hardcore' to validate themselves. 'Hardcore gamers' so often turn out to be who have low self esteem, so they use games to make themselves feel like they 'achieved' via those lovely Achievements that tell them they did something. Or buy expensive PC parts to convince themselves they're in an elite group, even though anyone can buy a great PC really.

Think of a 'hardcore gamer', you'd think someone who plays religiously, trying to get every Achievement, find every item etc. The kind who complain on forums about the 'work' they put in, the 'skill', 'dedication', 'effort', about how they threw a controller. Then probably insult the imaginary 'casuals' for playing games wrong. Pretty hypocritical.

'Gamer' is actually similar, 'hardcore gamer' is really tautology. It's used to validate one's own self or opinion, a self-given title. Lots of people play games, yet the requirements to be a 'gamer' varies wildly depending on the argument going on. One day, someone who plays Facebook games isn't a gamer. A few days before, it was someone who said they like Call of Duty who isn't a 'true gamer'.

Another day, it's someone who doesn't have a PS4 or Xbox One...

I advice the second poster to look at what they wrote, and ask themselves how what I've just said doesn't apply to them.

I know the response to this is going to be angry or abusive, so to save everyone time and aggro, I'll tell you now I won't be reading any replies to this post, lest we get a multi-page dick-swinging contest. I know how this goes. Unless the reply's 3 words because that's kinda hard to not read instantly haha.

I think someone hit a nerve when they called you a "filthy casual." :laugh:
You're projecting a little here, mate and giving it your own definition. Of course gamers can be hardcore, just like you have hardcore people in any hobby or interest.
^ Maybe the guy doesn't want an Xbox or PS4. Being a consumer sheep like you isn't the same as being a gamer m8.

Original post by ozzyoscy
Look, this is going to turn into an internet argument, which I'm sure you're not new to, because I'm going to have hit a nerve. So I'll go into detail and leave it at that, for anyone legitimately interested. You don't need to inform me if you've read it, or what you think of it, or how funny it is, save yourself the time:

There are some people who use terms like 'casual' and 'hardcore gamer', but it's when you look into who's using these terms and why that you see their real meaning. They'll use 'casual' to invalidate someone's opinion, and 'hardcore' to validate themselves. 'Hardcore gamers' so often turn out to be who have low self esteem, so they use games to make themselves feel like they 'achieved' via those lovely Achievements that tell them they did something. Or buy expensive PC parts to convince themselves they're in an elite group, even though anyone can buy a great PC really.

Think of a 'hardcore gamer', you'd think someone who plays religiously, trying to get every Achievement, find every item etc. The kind who complain on forums about the 'work' they put in, the 'skill', 'dedication', 'effort', about how they threw a controller. Then probably insult the imaginary 'casuals' for playing games wrong. Pretty hypocritical.

'Gamer' is actually similar, 'hardcore gamer' is really tautology. It's used to validate one's own self or opinion, a self-given title. Lots of people play games, yet the requirements to be a 'gamer' varies wildly depending on the argument going on. One day, someone who plays Facebook games isn't a gamer. A few days before, it was someone who said they like Call of Duty who isn't a 'true gamer'.

Another day, it's someone who doesn't have a PS4 or Xbox One...

I advice the second poster to look at what they wrote, and ask themselves how what I've just said doesn't apply to them.

I know the response to this is going to be angry or abusive, so to save everyone time and aggro, I'll tell you now I won't be reading any replies to this post, lest we get a multi-page dick-swinging contest. I know how this goes. Unless the reply's 3 words because that's kinda hard to not read instantly haha.

Well New Years celebrations was last night, but a couple of people just got ****in' rekt again. Well put.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Neverdie
^ Maybe the guy doesn't want an Xbox or PS4. Being a consumer sheep like you isn't the same as being a gamer m8.

Well New Years celebrations was last night, but a couple of people just got ****in' rekt again. Well put.

ozzy so you are only going to read three word posts, when you get to write a soliquy?

It's like saying that there's no such thing as a black belt in martial arts?

True in theory, when you strip them down, there is no such thing.

It has more to do with a: the amount of time they have been practicing
b: the skills they have

and c: their formal qualiications.

Spoiler

Original post by MJ1012
Don't wanna sound like a dick, but if he "loves" gaming are you sure he's still on a 360... (especially since Xmas has just gone)
I mean the latest gen have been out years now and a hardcore would probably own one.

I ADORE gaming and I only got a PS3 a few months ago. It's called being poor.

Quick Reply

Latest