Birchington
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
S06 - Statement from the Foreign and Commonwealth Office, TSR Government
Foreign and Commonwealth Office: Statement on Discrimination
Secretary of State: The Rt Hon. JoeL1994 MP

The Foreign and Commonwealth Office recognises the inequality throughout the Commonwealth of Nations with regard to LGBTQ rights and inequality between the sexes. It is with this in mind that the United Kingdom requests the Commonwealth Secretariat make the ‘protected characteristics’ of the UK Government Equality Act (2010) (and any subsequent amendments) a prerequisite for membership. The Foreign Office believes that it is impossible to continue to work with nations where there are punishments due to a person’s sex, gender identity, and/or sexual orientation, and would withdraw from the Commonwealth if relevant guidelines are not put into place by the next Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting.
Aph
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Ayey
thehistorybore
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Aye.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
By any chance is this sometime rapidly pumped out today to try to distract people from the failures of last night?

First the left destroy the empire, now they move on to the commonwealth.

Posted from TSR Mobile
JoeL1994
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Jammy Duel)
By any chance is this sometime rapidly pumped out today to try to distract people from the failures of last night?

Posted from TSR Mobile
No, this has been ready for about 4 or 5 days.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by JoeL1994)
No, this has been ready for about 4 or 5 days.
So it just happens to come out after that mess? Can we, therefore, expect an item every update for the next few weeks then to prove that this is not just a one off distraction?

Posted from TSR Mobile
JoeL1994
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
So it just happens to come out after that mess? Can we, therefore, expect an item every update for the next few weeks then to prove that this is not just a one off distraction?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm sure other statements will come out when they've been finalised, discussed and voted on within the Government, you can expect statements when they are ready and not before.
Andy98
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Aye

Posted from TSR Mobile
TheDefiniteArticle
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Is it a prerequisite for membership or a condition of membership? That needs to be cleared up. Otherwise, aye.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)
Is it a prerequisite for membership or a condition of membership? That needs to be cleared up. Otherwise, aye.
It already is.

This is yet another piece where the government wants to look like it is doing something but actually isn't. I'll do the actual complete research tomorrow on the computer, but I thought this was already the case, and mobbsy was kind enough to pull up the necessary pieces, having been talking about it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
JoeL1994
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)
Both.

It already is.

This is yet another piece where the government wants to look like it is doing something but actually isn't. I'll do the actual complete research tomorrow on the computer, but I thought this was already the case, and mobbsy was kind enough to pull up the necessary pieces, having been talking about it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's a statement from my Office, it is doing something. Stop trying to make people side with you through statements that are just plain insulting to everyone else, it makes you look uneducated and people are quickly losing faith in your debating skills.

It's not the case already. The Commonwealth has some vague definitions as to what standards need to be met so a nation can be accepted into the collective but they are nowhere near as clear as the protected characteristics outlined in the Equality Act, I'll find the articles again when I have more time tomorrow.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Both.

It's a statement from my Office, it is doing something. Stop trying to make people side with you through statements that are just plain insulting to everyone else, It makes you look uneducated and people are quickly losing faith in your debating skills.

It's not the case already. The Commonwealth has some vague definitions as to what standards need to be met so a nation can be accepted into the collective but they are nowhere near as clear as the protected characteristics outlined in the Equality Act, I'll find the articles again when I have more time tomorrow.
Which is not what my reading suggests, tomorrow checking the citations used.

Posted from TSR Mobile
thehistorybore
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Both.

It's a statement from my Office, it is doing something. Stop trying to make people side with you through statements that are just plain insulting to everyone else, It makes you look uneducated and people are quickly losing faith in your debating skills.

Hear hear!
Imperion
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Aye
Wellzi
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Nay.
JoeL1994
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Wellzi)
Nay.
Could I ask why?
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The thought just crossed my mind, are we going to also stop dealings with, among other states, China and actually have the government directly cause a depression and mass unemployment?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Wellzi
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Could I ask why?
The empire is gone, and we should no longer trifle with the internal affairs of other states, unless it concerns our citizens. I feel it to be an unwise step.
JoeL1994
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Wellzi)
The empire is gone, and we should no longer trifle with the internal affairs of other states, unless it concerns our citizens. I feel it to be an unwise step.
This isn't about our citizens, this is for international human rights, the Commonwealth being the first step.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
This isn't about our citizens, this is for international human rights, the Commonwealth being the first step.
They declare an end to trade with China et al.

Posted from TSR Mobile
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you confident you could find support for your mental health if you needed it in COVID-19?

Yes (25)
21.93%
No (89)
78.07%

Watched Threads