The Student Room Group

Friend is becoming radicalised??

A close friend of mine has started to strictly practice Islam. She wears a hijab and an abaya to a school which has a 'business attire' dress code. As of recently her Instagram account has transformed from a continuity of selfies to countless posts about praying in public, dressing modestly and even how one must sit when praying. She even brings a digital tally counter to school and counts the number of religious terms she utters throughout the day.
The above examples make me fear that she is forming an unhealthy obsession with her religion.

I also cannot avoid being bothered by the hypocrisy in her actions. After school, I met her in the toilets when she was 'making her wadu' (a practice in which one washes their face, hands and feet before praying). I think this procedure in itself is not appropriate in a school environment, particularly washing feet in a public sink.

I also knew she had a lesson at that time, so I asked her if the teacher had given her permission to pray. She replied saying that she told her she was just going to the toilets, and in order to account for the time it would take to pray, she would tell her that she had to go to a toilet on the other side of the school.
Is the fact that she is lying for the sake of her religious practices not entirely illogical?

She also brings the Quran and other religious books to school, and rather than doing any of her work ahead or reading outside of her studies, she reads in Arabic and watches Islamic lectures on the school computers.

Could these be potential signs of radicalisation?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by 1110517
A close friend of mine has started to strictly practice Islam. She wears a hijab and an abaya to a school which has a 'business attire' dress code. As of recently her Instagram account has transformed from a continuity of selfies to countless posts about praying in public, dressing modestly and even how one must sit when praying. She even brings a digital tally counter to school and counts the number of religious terms she utters throughout the day.
The above examples make me fear that she is forming an unhealthy obsession with her religion.

I also cannot avoid being bothered by the hypocrisy in her actions. After school, I met her in the toilets when she was 'making her wadu' (a practice in which one washes their face, hands and feet before praying). I think this procedure in itself is not appropriate in a school environment, particularly washing feet in a public sink.

I also knew she had a lesson at that time, so I asked her if the teacher had given her permission to pray. She replied saying that she told her she was just going to the toilets, and in order to account for the time it would take to pray, she would tell her that she had to go to a toilet on the other side of the school.
Is the fact that she is lying for the sake of her religious practices not entirely illogical?

She also brings the Quran and other religious books to school, and rather than doing any of her work ahead or reading outside of her studies, she reads in Arabic and watches Islamic lectures on the school computers.

Speak to your teachers about your concerns. It could be radicalisation. It's better to be safe than sorry.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
I'm a teacher and have to be aware of radicalisation as you can probably understand why.
Anyway I would say no she is not being radicalised - she's just taking her faith very seriously, doing wudhu in the bathroom isn't that alarming...what is alarming to me is that she is lying about going to the toilet to go pray. She's essentially truanting which is a safeguarding issue.
Also if her islamic studies are affecting her academic school studies then that it also a concern. I would advise you speak to her directly and if she continues then contact your head of year.
unless she's suggesting that she's going to break the law via her religion I don't really think there's much the police will be able to do because she's technically not doing anything wrong
Reply 4
None of the behaviour seems to suggest that.

Maybe she is just practicing her faith a bit more than others in a difficult environment.

Though you do need to be careful of making such accusations, it's a very serious allegation to make. It's not taken very lightly either.
Reply 5
You call this signs of radicalisation? Just two-three weeks ago there was a guy sitting in the science library at my university watching actual IS videos; not the graphic ones but the ones in which they speak of others and themselves. Needless to say anyone passing by was stunned, but what can you do, you never actually know when / how / why someone becomes really radicalised. I'd place strong emphasis on socio-economic factors rather than spirituality.
Reply 6
Original post by 1110517

This is considered radicalised in different parts of the country?
Weird... I go to a girls school in London and this is fine!
I think she's just practicing her religion - but she does seem a bit obsessed but good for her I guess... if she starts mentioning ISIS or something then YES RED FLAG THAT ****

Maybe you should mention a news article (sadly there's one everyday) about a recent attack with terrorist motives and say "what do you think about this" just casually (sometimes we talk about current affairs as friends anyway and see what our opinions are so it shouldn't appear to be strange) and that would give you some hints

I'm Muslim who washes their feet in the sink you're just meant to wipe it wtf... like... do that at home mate!!
The window for prayers is quite big anyway - right now it's 4 hours for afternoon prayers because of winter and getting dark soon but in the summer it's from like 12 to 9pm!! I'm sure she can wait until lunchtime (that's what we do in school).

Lying is worse than praying late - she could just ask for time to pray my teachers were fine with it. Even in primary school we asked usually at 1 to go pray and the teacher was fine with it! But she should wait until lunchtime to pray (and she can pray at home when the daylight time increases) and use freetime after school to watch lectures and stuff because school is not a place of worship it's a place for learning so...
Body her. John Cena style.
Lol OP she is just practicing her faith more seriously.
Since when is their school in the holidays?
Well, that's a steep curve
Original post by 1110517

No.
Reply 11
Has to be one of the most stupid threads I have seen in a while. One could equally make a thread "Does my friend have special needs?", detailing how this friend suspects others of being radical just for practicing their religion and how that is an alarmingly dumb accusation/presumption to make, thus giving off the impression that they are mentally challenged.
I doubt it's radicalisation tbh but if it's affecting her studies then it might best to share your concerns
This actually reminds me of myself, and I am definitely not 'radicalised'. Most Muslims I've talked to do the same thing for wudu when in public - wash their feet in the sink. You've gotta do what you've gotta do. Praying is extremely important in Islam and I'm actually happy to hear your friend isn't embarrassed by this. Some Muslims skip prayer whilst at school or other public places out of embarrassment and make them up at home, which is not allowed. So, she is simply taking her religion seriously and that's a good thing. This isn't radicalisation.
Reply 14
Not necessarily, but it could be the stepping stone

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Yael
You call this signs of radicalisation? Just two-three weeks ago there was a guy sitting in the science library at my university watching actual IS videos; not the graphic ones but the ones in which they speak of others and themselves. Needless to say anyone passing by was stunned, but what can you do, you never actually know when / how / why someone becomes really radicalised. I'd place strong emphasis on socio-economic factors rather than spirituality.

Didn't anyone report him? :confused:
Original post by 1110517

They aren't signs of radicalisation. If you are genuinely concerned, have a friendly chat with her. Or else, just live and let live :smile:
Nothing radical about this. Britain is supposed to be multicultural so we need to accept others differences. The UK could learn a lot from Islam to help deal with the lack of morals in this country
yes you should tell someone, those who take their religion most seriously and literally become the fundamentalists, who are the threat to security...
Reply 19
Original post by Yael

Maybe he wanted to find out what crap they talk about. A bit like if you watched a video of hitler doing a speech... It doesn't mean you're a radical.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending