katie.193
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
So I'm thinking about applying for the choral scholarship at Royal Holloway, & I wondered if anyone who's been through the process before can tell me what it's like. The website says there's an audition in March, what's that like? Will we be asked to sing solo? & what's it like to be in the choir while studying?
Thanks
En_Djinn
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
This would be helpful as I am also looking to do the same
Jess_K
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi guys!

I'm a current choral scholar at RHUL so maybe I can help you. It's a really great experience so I would recommend it fully! The auditions are usually in March as you may have seen online - there are also more details about the application form on the choir website: http://chapelchoir.co.uk/scholarship...n-audition.php

The audition does involve solo singing but you'll also be invited to join the choir for a rehearsal and an Evensong on the same day, so that you can meet some of the current scholars and get a feel for what we do. You'll need to prepare two contrasting pieces to sing that show a good range in your voice and demonstration of your technique. It's probably best if these pieces come from the classical genre rather than any pop or musical theatre.

There is also a very strong focus on sight-reading in the audition - you'll be given one or two pieces to sight-sing, and this can range from Tudor anthems to contemporary choral music. This is an important aspect as we have a very fast turn-around with our music repertoire, and we are expected to pick new things up very quickly - so if you are invited to audition I recommend brushing up on sight-reading skills!

With regard to singing in the choir whilst studying - it is perfectly manageable! It's an intense schedule, but it's so worthwhile both for your musicality and singing and also for the fun and social sides too! There is a regular weekly schedule which is then complemented by other concerts in a variety of locations throughout each term. We are really fortunate to have some really exciting opportunities so if you have the chance to audition and be a part of it, I would 100% recommend it. Within the last 18 months we have performed for royalty on three separate occasions, we've sung in some really exciting venues (including Royal Albert Hall and Buckingham Palace), we do radio broadcasts fairly frequently and one of the most thrilling things is that we get to work alongside the King's Singers regularly for coaching!

There are many reasons we are considered one of the top university chapel choirs in the country, so if you've got the time to apply I would definitely give it a shot - nothing to lose also - even if you're not successful, we've got a LOT of other choral opportunities here too which I can give you more details about if you'd like! You'll have a chance to take a tour and chat to some scholars on the audition days, so I hope we get to meet then! In the meantime I'd be happy to answer any more questions

Good luck!
Jess
ksmithsam
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi - my daughter has applied for an audition for the choir. To join the Chapel Choir would be like a dream come true for her. She applied a few weeks ago and hasn't heard anything. Do all the invites go out together after the closing date or is it more likely that she hasn't heard because she hasn't been successful?
katie.193
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Thanks for your help!! It all sounds very serious ahaha, I'm more of a 'recreational' singer I suppose
Jess_K
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi! I believe the deadline for applications is actually today, 19th February, and I'm pretty sure that our director/conductor won't be making any decisions about who to invite for audition until all forms have been submitted and then assessed/reviewed, so your daughter should hear within the next week or so whether or not she has been successful in receiving an audition - so don't worry that you haven't yet heard anything! If she gets an invitation then auditions will be on the 4th & 5th of March. Best of luck!

(Original post by ksmithsam)
Hi - my daughter has applied for an audition for the choir. To join the Chapel Choir would be like a dream come true for her. She applied a few weeks ago and hasn't heard anything. Do all the invites go out together after the closing date or is it more likely that she hasn't heard because she hasn't been successful?
Jess_K
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
No worries! Glad to be of help. There are lots of other choirs at the university if the chapel choir seems a bit too much commitment- we have the Founders choir which generally rehearses once a week and sings for a few services & concerts each term. We also have the Royal Holloway Chorus which rehearses once a week for 5 or 6 weeks each term and then performs a big concert of usually a large scale choral work - for example right now we are preparing to sing Carl Orff's amazing 'Carmina Burana' and we do things like Brahms Requiem, Rutter Gloria etc. There's also a ton of Students Union Societies which offer singing opportunities, like the gospel choir, a capella singing groups and glee clubs etc. The music department also has its own early music society which includes a choir - so there's PLENTY of opportunities - I've only named a few of them! Hope that helps!

(Original post by katie.193)
Thanks for your help!! It all sounds very serious ahaha, I'm more of a 'recreational' singer I suppose
ksmithsam
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Thanks. That is really helpful. It should make her feel more hopeful.
(Original post by Jess_K)
Hi! I believe the deadline for applications is actually today, 19th February, and I'm pretty sure that our director/conductor won't be making any decisions about who to invite for audition until all forms have been submitted and then assessed/reviewed, so your daughter should hear within the next week or so whether or not she has been successful in receiving an audition - so don't worry that you haven't yet heard anything! If she gets an invitation then auditions will be on the 4th & 5th of March. Best of luck!
cb991
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
hi, what's the accommodation for choral scholars at royal holloway? i've heard you all get assigned a room in founders, is this what happens?
Royal Holloway, University of London
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by cb991)
hi, what's the accommodation for choral scholars at royal holloway? i've heard you all get assigned a room in founders, is this what happens?
Hi CB991,

When a student is awarded a choral scholarship in their first year of university, they're automatically given first access to a room in Founder's. If you'd prefer to live in another Hall you can choose to do so, but a place in Founder's is available. In the 2nd and 3rd year of study, a large room in Founder's is available (often in a turret room)! Choral scholars are often offered a longer contract in Founder's, so you don't have to move out during Easter and Christmas breaks, as you may be needed for practice and events during these times.

I hope that helps! If you have any more questions let me know.

Summer
GracePJM
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hi I know this thread is a few years old but I’d really appreciate some help! For the chapel choir audition the requirements are two songs from oratorios/cantatas but I haven’t really covered this kind of material with my singing teacher, we’ve focussed more on art song/arias so I’m worried that this would put me at a disadvantage in the audition process? Thank you in advance if anyone sees this
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (442)
59.09%
Yes- I don't like it (40)
5.35%
No- I want it (216)
28.88%
No- I don't want it (50)
6.68%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise