Emupa
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hey
We've recently done Hess's law in AS chemistry, including the diagrams showing (and in working out) enthalpy changes. I understand that in a combustion reaction all arrows with face "downward", but aside from that, I'm not sure how to figure out with direction the arrows point? Does anyone know a general rule concerning that? Thanks so much
redwhiteandbrit
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Emupa)
Hey
We've recently done Hess's law in AS chemistry, including the diagrams showing (and in working out) enthalpy changes. I understand that in a combustion reaction all arrows with face "downward", but aside from that, I'm not sure how to figure out with direction the arrows point? Does anyone know a general rule concerning that? Thanks so much
Hi Emupa

This may have been the way you have been taught, but with Hess' Law it is not the direction of the arrow which is important, but rather where they start and where they lead to.

For instance, the cycle can have products, intermediates, and reactants at any position, but the crucial part is where the arrows go. Reactants ultimately form products, but the arrows dictate the route the reaction takes.

I hope this helps!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Mimi97
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
An easy way I learned to remember how to work out Enthalpy changes is by learning these generic equations:

Enthalpy of Combustion= Sum of reactants - Sum of products
(CRP or as my chemistry teacher says 'the naughty C word...crap')

Enthalpy of Formation= Sum of Products - Sum of Reactants
(Just swap around from Enthalpy of Combustion)

Mean bond Enthalpy= Sum of bonds broken - Sum of bonds made
(BBBM)

I found learning arrow directions confusing, if you know these equations, you can easily draw a Hess' Law cycle and put the arrows in correctly.

P.s I missed out all the standard condition requirement in the equations, but you should assume they're there anyway.
Emupa
Rep:
?
Thanks I know that where the arrows go to can change the sign of the given bond enthalpy, but do you know of a way to determine where the arrow starts and ends up? I'm so sorry!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Emupa
Rep:
?
That's awesome, thanks so much - mocks are soon and I was freaking out XD

Posted from TSR Mobile
username986184
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Emupa)

Posted from TSR Mobile
I do not teach my students arrows down or up for formation or combustion because this just attempts to avoid understanding of what is going on.

Combustion reactions the arrow goes from the reactants (that are being burned) to the products.

Formation reactions the arrow goes from the elements (the reactants) to the products (the compounds).

Once the cycle is set up, all the arrows (and associated values) going in one direction (say clockwise) equal the arrows (and associated values) going in the othe direction (anti-clockwise). Write an equation and rearrange to find the unknown.
username986184
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Emupa)

Posted from TSR Mobile
For example
Attached files
username986184
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Emupa)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Here's another. Note the arrows are not where you might have been taught they 'need' to go.
Attached files
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (87)
15.21%
Uncertainty around my education (92)
16.08%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (53)
9.27%
Isolating with family (36)
6.29%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (25)
4.37%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (47)
8.22%
Loneliness (59)
10.31%
Financial worries (24)
4.2%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (54)
9.44%
Exposure to negative news/social media (41)
7.17%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (54)
9.44%

Watched Threads