Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
hi
im currently in the process of choosing my gcse options and ive chosen
triple science
computing
french
and art graphics. However im not sure if art graphic will be good to take as ive heard its very time consuming and also doing triple science which could be a problem...?
any pros and cons of art graphics?
thankssss
Kyx
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by lillie30)
hi
triple science
computing
french
and art graphics. However im not sure if art graphic will be good to take as ive heard its very time consuming and also doing triple science which could be a problem...?
thankssss
Pro: creative, easy...?

Con: Time-consuming, may get boring...?
DiddyDec01
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Do what you enjoy because at the end the day GCSEs are not that important.

Posted from TSR Mobile
flippantri
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
hi
triple science
computing
french
thankssss
I do triple. And I do geography, which (for me) is a massive workload, and I'm handling it. Take what you enjoy, because GCSEs are only in place to get you onto your a-level/btec course.
Vicky628
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
If you'll enjoy it, then do it. That's the most important thing.

I did fine art at GCSE, I guess it's similar. I found art very enjoyable, all my options were academic and it gave me a chance to be creative and spend a disproportionate amount of time painting cool backgrounds.

But it's very time consuming and stressful. All art and design students had a horrible amount of deadlines for coursework and things, so be prepared to put a lot of your free time into it, it's not a subject you can forget about outside lessons.

It's your choice
lillie30
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by Vicky628)
If you'll enjoy it, then do it. That's the most important thing.

I did fine art at GCSE, I guess it's similar. I found art very enjoyable, all my options were academic and it gave me a chance to be creative and spend a disproportionate amount of time painting cool backgrounds.

But it's very time consuming and stressful. All art and design students had a horrible amount of deadlines for coursework and things, so be prepared to put a lot of your free time into it, it's not a subject you can forget about outside lessons.

It's your choice
hii thankss for the reply
i do enjoy art however i also want to make sure i do well in my other subjects (especially triple science as i want to go into medicine)
personally would you recommend art?
thankss again
Vicky628
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
yes, I would. Triple isn't that hard, so it shouldn't take time away from your studying...
i do enjoy art however i also want to make sure i do well in my other subjects (especially triple science as i want to go into medicine)
thankss again
11ahf
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
hi
triple science
computing
french
thankssss
DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT, take computing. Unless your school has amazing teachers. But in the computing industry, there are very few jobs where you can earn less than being a teacher, and not many people have a passion for teaching and computing... And it's boring as. Just warning you
Art graphics is less hard work than art in that it doesn't take quite as much time, but is no way an easy subject! I'd take it as creative subjects are fun but work super hard in year 10 as it will bog you down in year 11 otherwise

Also: definitely take triple! Way more useful if you want to do a science a level!
Ben4
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Make your gcses as stress free as you can, because your later education is when the real stress hits
Vanilla Cupcake
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by 11ahf)
DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT, take computing. Unless your school has amazing teachers. But in the computing industry, there are very few jobs where you can earn less than being a teacher, and not many people have a passion for teaching and computing... And it's boring as. Just warning you
I second this. Unless you're genuinely interested in it, then by all means take it. I took it thinking there'd be loads of programming but most of my time is spent writing reports on what I'm doing instead of actually doing it haha

The workload is also pretty heavy - if you're on OCR, there's a unit called A452 where you have to do research for a 'practical investigation'. We get time outside of lessons and it's taken up so much of my holidays :/

Also triple science has hardly any workload and isn't much extra work - it also looks good if you go on to do a science for A Level (but you can do one without triple)

Posted from TSR Mobile
11ahf
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Vanilla Cupcake)
I second this. Unless you're genuinely interested in it, then by all means take it. I took it thinking there'd be loads of programming but most of my time is spent writing reports on what I'm doing instead of actually doing it haha

The workload is also pretty heavy - if you're on OCR, there's a unit called A452 where you have to do research for a 'practical investigation'. We get time outside of lessons and it's taken up so much of my holidays :/

Also triple science has hardly any workload and isn't much extra work - it also looks good if you go on to do a science for A Level (but you can do one without triple)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes! The coding is okay, I mean the problem solving elements were okay, but you have two massive controlled assessments which I wrote about 20000 words for each... You end up using up EVERY LUNCH TIME explaining the most pointless lines of code...

Then comes the theory... It's just boring and there are no decent textbooks - I did it last June and there were 2 6 mark questions not covered by the textbook! Also the marking couldn't be more dodgy - in that my exam originally got marked as a C and then got remarked up to an A... And I was still one mark off an A* overall. In my experience, the people involved in the course have no idea what they're doing - teachers and markers. Take a humanity instead.
Questions27168
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
thankss again
Yes do it. Fundamentally, if you enjoy it and are committed to it then you will succeed in Art. Managing it with triple science will not be a problem if you have effective time management, you eliminate distractions and meet deadlines in Art. (Deadlines are so important) The Art exam is also earlier than all exams so you will get it out of the way before you have to worry about science
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (653)
33.59%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (824)
42.39%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (380)
19.55%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (87)
4.48%

Watched Threads