The Student Room Group

I want to study Management - Still a bad idea? Alternatives?

This is as much an open question about my future as it is a defence of management as a subject.

As a capable student whose studying rigorous subjects at A Level (As in English, Chemistry and French AS, A* Maths A Level, Further Maths being studied this year), people have been suggesting - and even seem to expect - that I will pursue a degree with an element of prestige: Mathematics, Medicine, Law, etc. But I'm so disenchanted by these options that I even delayed applying to Uni, instead planning a gap year.

The thing is, I don't really care about any of those subjects. I want to study management! I've read around the subject for about a year now and it really seems like something I'd enjoy at undergraduate level.

More prominent members like @cambio wechsel have echoed sentiments similar to those my dad and teachers have: that you don't actually learn anything in these degrees. I wonder, though, why Cambridge allows it as a Part II subject and Oxford offers it as joint subject with economics, explaining specifically in their course description that the content is theoretical rather than teaching you how to become a good manager. Would people who have this line of thinking find it acceptable to study management with something else, insomuch that it doesn't hinder my professional life later on?

For the sake of allowing people to offer alternatives, I'm going to list a few areas of interest. Some are closely related and others more disparate - just a cluster of subjects that came to mind when I considered what I'd like to study:
-optimization, decision science, game theory, marketing, behaviour/psychology/psychiatry, international relations (political strategy and diplomacy), military theory.
-foreign language (perhaps year abroad).

One option is to just study an MBA later on but this has 2 downfalls for me:
1) It's applied and teaching you the *how*
2) In 1-2 years you limit the exposure to the subjects that could be covered in 3-4 years as an undergraduate
3) What I'd study otherwise isn't clear.

The careers I'm interested in are generally related to strategic consulting in the public and private sector, but other public sector jobs like in the foreign office are also interesting.

Given all of this, do you think I'd be silly to apply to study management, even at the more reputable schools? Are there alternatives that I don't seem to have looked at? Your advice is really appreciated.
(edited 8 years ago)
If management is what you want to do, you should DEFINITELY pursue it. It can be stimulating, but the best aspect of it is that you can make real money in dynamic environments with smart people. Obviously you are facing the traditional snobbery about "business", but that is much more a question of personal preference than most care to admit.

I have been involved in business education for many years (as a writer of case studies for MBA programs). While it is not enough for me in an intellectual sense, I have seen many people pursue good business careers.

Oh, and ignore the grammar nitpickers, they're just a species of troll. It pains me the way a person comes to pose a difficult personal question and gets scorn for a simple mistake.

Good luck.
Reply 2
Original post by alcibiade
If management is what you want to do, you should DEFINITELY pursue it. It can be stimulating, but the best aspect of it is that you can make real money in dynamic environments with smart people. Obviously you are facing the traditional snobbery about "business", but that is much more a question of personal preference than most care to admit.

I have been involved in business education for many years (as a writer of case studies for MBA programs). While it is not enough for me in an intellectual sense, I have seen many people pursue good business careers.

Oh, and ignore the grammar nitpickers, they're just a species of troll. It pains me the way a person comes to pose a difficult personal question and gets scorn for a simple mistake.

Good luck.

Thank you!

Aside from management, as I hinted at earlier, studying conflict and cooperation is something I'd very much like to do. Understanding how rational players ought to act against others is fascinating to me. Poker, chess(, Civ V :lol:), diplomacy, war... all interesting areas! I considered that maybe Economics with a focus on game theory and international relations might be a good fit, though I have no idea whether courses would cater for such specific interests. Maybe if I find economics and management elsewhere (besides Oxford, which I may apply to study at) I'd be able to study everything I want.

I wonder whether I'd have the mathematical complexity in an economics degree to explore game theory rigorously. I understand there's a stochastic and programming element that probably would be better suited to mathematics or computer science degree (discrete mathematics). It's this corner of mathematics and behaviour that I love to study. What's rational? Why? :biggrin: I think the best phrase I've come across for what I particularly find interesting is 'resource allocation'. That may sound dry but it means looking at what you have and finding the optimal strategy to use it. It's fascinating!

To be honest, though I love management theory, the amount of people who've said I might regret choosing it simply because of the lack of intellectual challenge is worrying. In this post, I think you can probably sense me beginning to lean on a joint honours course (or with management). Maybe that's a smart call.

I hope that when you read this you will have enjoyed a happy New Year; All the best.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
I would say for what you want to do - management consulting - going to the best uni you can is better, not what you study.

I studied Management at Nottingham. I personally enjoyed the variety of subjects I got to study.
Reply 4
Original post by natty_d
I would say for what you want to do - management consulting - going to the best uni you can is better, not what you study.

I studied Management at Nottingham. I personally enjoyed the variety of subjects I got to study.

Hi there!

I have some questions for you, if you don't mind me asking. :biggrin:

-Did you feel like you were just getting taught concepts that are just 'common sense'?
-Was there opportunity to research in the area of management or was it more a case of learning 'how to manage'?
-Usually there's room to take modules outside of management, did you take advantage of this? I'm particularly interested in International Relations and some Maths/Economics so if you remember anybody exploring those areas in particular, it'd be helpful to know.
-If you were to do it again would you still study management? Why?

Of course, it's New Year's and you don't owe me anything - some insight from an ex-student would be brilliant, though.

Have a great 2016!
Reply 5
Original post by BorrisB
Hi there!

I have some questions for you, if you don't mind me asking. :biggrin:

-Did you feel like you were just getting taught concepts that are just 'common sense'?

Yes and no. A lot of what is taught in the classroom gets applied in the real world, often with disastrous consequences. It was interesting to learn that theory and reality are completely different. And if business strategy was just common sense, everyone would own million dollar companies. It is much more complex than that.

-Was there opportunity to research in the area of management or was it more a case of learning 'how to manage'?

I think research comes at postgraduate level, or if you do a dissertation in your final year. A dissertation wasn't compulsory for me so I wouldn't really know!

Usually there's room to take modules outside of management, did you take advantage of this? I'm particularly interested in International Relations and some Maths/Economics so if you remember anybody exploring those areas in particular, it'd be helpful to know.

Yes. Absolutely. It was actively encouraged at Nottingham but it may depend on the uni you end up at. I took modules in insurance, business strategy, economic history (personally really enjoyed these), organisational behaviour, maths, marketing, entrepreneurship, technology, ethics and lots more. I also studied French alongside it so I dabbled in French economic history, politics and Francophone Africa.

-If you were to do it again would you still study management? Why?

Yes. I would. I graduated this year and I've found that it's given me a broad understanding and. I have actually been able to use some of things that I've learnt in my job. I would add though that you should go to the best uni you can, study something you love and get the best grade you can. There are very few jobs that require a specific degree. Esp with something like management consulting or banking - it can often work to your advantage from all the people who have done Econ etc, the same boring degrees.

Of course, it's New Year's and you don't owe me anything - some insight from an ex-student would be brilliant, though.

Have a great 2016!

Happy New Year. Any other questions just ask :h:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 6
@BorrisB , that grammatical error has been there since last year, and you still haven't corrected it...
Do what you want to do. Don't do whats viewed as more prestigious, or if people look down on a management degree [Which they really shouldn't]

Do what you want to do, and do what you will enjoy!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending