The Student Room Group

Can I go to Oxbridge?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by dairychocolate
Am I misunderstanding something or have you not applied yet? You know it's way past the deadline for med applications?

Pretty sure Oxford in particular is very GCSE-heavy so I'd avoid them like the plague. I thought I was special with 10 A* until I saw that that was barely above average for Oxbridge med offer holders.

You can easily find out entry criteria for medical schools via Google.

You're right about Cambridge. They look way more at the BMAT before interview.

Avoid Oxbridge med with those AS grades. I had 4 As with a high average mark and I still didn't apply.

Even your otherwise decent GCSEs are below what a large chunk of Oxford medicine offer holders have got.

This post is very discouraging.
AS grades are important but the predicted are vastly more important - as I know someone currently doing medicine at Oxford who got B's at AS then got amazing A2 grades and predicted grades.
Seriously if somebody wants to apply then what's the harm? Better to give it a shot than assume they're already cut of because they didn't get straight A's and A*'s.
There are many things to consider with the application, not just grades.
Applying can't hurt but at others have said dat get your hopes up and do apply to other places as well.
Original post by gooby2015
In GCSEs I got 1A* 1A 5Bs & 2Cs. Then in AS i got 4As in maths, bio, chem and sociology. I'm predicted all A*s for bio chem and maths at A2.
I really want to study medicine at Oxbridge and am worried whether my grades will affect this. I did make a huge turnaround though from GCSEs to A levels.
In fact I took my BMAT and I got an 8.
Is this enough?

You will certainly be turned down by Oxford, unless you have serious extenuating circumstances for your GCSEs. You have a chance at Cambridge if you have high UMS at AS. What is your average percentage UMS across maths, chemistry and biology? If it is below 90 I wouldn't bother applying, as medicine is very competitive even outside Oxbridge, so you probably don't want to waste a slot on your Ucas form. If it is above 95 you will probably at least get an interview, and quite possibly an offer. For medicine anywhere, you will also need lots of relevant work experience. Also, bear in mind that medicine at Oxbridge is more research based and less clinical than at other universities, and that you have missed the deadline for applying this year (it is October 15th).
In GCSEs I got 1A* 1A 5Bs & 2Cs. Then in AS i got 4As in maths, bio, chem and sociology. I'm predicted all A*s for bio chem and maths at A2.
I really want to study medicine at Oxbridge and am worried whether my grades will affect this. I did make a huge turnaround though from GCSEs to A levels.
Is this enough?

True. But do you think my BMAT can overcompensate

The highest is a 9 though. Most people get around a 5. The really hard working people get around a 7 or 8

I'm not convinced that you're being genuine. The BMAT has three different sections, with each of the scores reported separately (and only two of the sections are marked on a 1 - 9 scale), not an average. There's no such thing as getting an 8 on the BMAT. You could get 8.0, 8.0, 5A, but you couldn't get a simple 8. :tongue:
Original post by tcameron

It's just information. It doesn't affect me where OP applies.

AS grades are important but the predicted are vastly more important - as I know someone currently doing medicine at Oxford who got B's at AS then got amazing A2 grades and predicted grades.

Do you have more evidence than one anecdote?

Look at this link from Cambridge: https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/169192/response/416143/attach/2/FOI%202013%20223%20Harris%20response%20letter%20and%20data.pdf

The median offer holders had 95% UMS average over their AS levels.

Seriously if somebody wants to apply then what's the harm? Better to give it a shot than assume they're already cut of because they didn't get straight A's and A*'s.

Well, OP wanted to know their chances and I laid them out as best I could.

You make 4 choices for med and each medical school is very competitive. You want to be humble and relatively 'risk-averse' in your application so a lot of people don't want to take a wild shot in the dark with one of their choices.

True, but grades form a large part of assessment. Look at this from Oxford's website:

Oxford Med
For those shortlisted who had taken GCSEs, the mean number of A*s at GCSE was 10.3 and the mean proportion of A*s at GCSE was 0.94.

I think it's wrong to mislead someone with, for example, 1 A* into believing that that is necessarily competitive.
Reply 25
Original post by Hydeman
I'm not convinced that you're being genuine. The BMAT has three different sections, with each of the scores reported separately (and only two of the sections are marked on a 1 - 9 scale), not an average. There's no such thing as getting an 8 on the BMAT. You could get 8.0, 8.0, 5A, but you couldn't get a simple 8. :tongue:

My average was an 8.0 on the two sections and quality of content was 5

The post was honest and realistic. There is no point offering people unrealistic hope when the truth of the matter is that medicine is unbelievably competitive and you have to apply strategically. Applying to Oxford with those GCSEs (without massive extenuating circumstances) would mean automatic rejection. Unfortunately with medicine you have to apply to places you stand a chance of getting an interview at, rather than 'dream' schools.

And as for whats the harm? 60% of medicine applicants get no offers at all. I'd wager that a lot of that is because they apply to places they like the look of rather than where they have a good shot of getting an interview. Its why reapplicants are often succesful, they've learned their lesson and apply to places where they will get an interview (i.e. taking advantage of a high UKCAT and applying to UKCAT heavy schools, or avoid them if they do badly).

So why take the BMAT if you didn't actually apply?

It's a simple fact, supported by past data, that you're not going to get into Oxford for Medicine without 6+ A*s at GCSE. If you apply in spite of that, it's a wasted application. Medicine is competitive enough as it is and to throw away one of your four precious options is a very, very bad idea. That is the harm. For any other subject, I'd agree with you. Medicine is the exception.
Original post by ForestCat
The post was honest and realistic. There is no point offering people unrealistic hope when the truth of the matter is that medicine is unbelievably competitive and you have to apply strategically. Applying to Oxford with those GCSEs (without massive extenuating circumstances) would mean automatic rejection. Unfortunately with medicine you have to apply to places you stand a chance of getting an interview at, rather than 'dream' schools.

And as for whats the harm? 60% of medicine applicants get no offers at all. I'd wager that a lot of that is because they apply to places they like the look of rather than where they have a good shot of getting an interview. Its why reapplicants are often succesful, they've learned their lesson and apply to places where they will get an interview (i.e. taking advantage of a high UKCAT and applying to UKCAT heavy schools, or avoid them if they do badly).

Spot on.

I'd like to just add that it's especially ridiculous in the case of medicine, where university 'prestige/ranking' is not going to benefit your career like it might in law or engineering. As far as I know, you don't even disclose which medical school you went to in your F1 training post application.
(edited 8 years ago)

Then why didn't you say it like that in the first place? I'm not trying to be mean, but this is rather suspicious.
Not Oxford.

You could have a go at Cambridge.

I don't understand how you've done the bmat when you haven't yet applied though? And what do you mean by a score of 8?

umm, @mrhedgehog was in the same situation as you and he got into med so you never know, I'm sure they oversee your GCSEs so you probably have to apply post-A2 if rejected then after a gap year.
Is this enough?

Don't apply to Oxford with those GCSEs, I have a friend with same grades and 9A*s 1 A for GCSE; she didn't get an interview apparently because she didn't get all A*s. Cambridge is a better choice for you I would say.
Reply 34
Original post by Hydeman
Then why didn't you say it like that in the first place? I'm not trying to be mean, but this is rather suspicious.

Sorry
Reply 35
Original post by Chief Wiggum
Not Oxford.

You could have a go at Cambridge.

I don't understand how you've done the bmat when you haven't yet applied though? And what do you mean by a score of 8?

Old practise papers
Definitely go for it, your AS and A2 grades are very strong.
However be aware that doing medicine anywhere is amazing so don't only put your hopes onto Oxbridge.

Hopefully I shouldn't need to add my voice to the crowd... but I will anyway.

Do not listen to this person. You need to apply smart in medicine, and you will not get into Oxford. Apply to Cambridge if your UMS is good and you like the style of teaching/setup of the Oxbridge system.
Old practise papers

Then you can't give yourself a 5 in the essay since ultimately, you are biased towards your own essay, and you are not an examiner so you don't know what constitutes a 5 either. Also, just as something else you may want to know, 'practise' is the verb and 'practice' is the noun, so it should be 'old practice papers'.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending