What Biochemistry textbooks do you need for your undergraduate degree?

Watch this thread
Nisr123
Badges: 5
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I am in Year 13 and have four out of my five offers so far for a Biochemistry degree at various Russel Group universities. Even though it is early, I am looking to prepare myself for university as soon as possible because I actually cannot wait for A Levels to be over.

Anyone out there who is doing or has done a Biochemistry degree, what textbooks did you find you needed or used the most?

I would like to find a way to buy these books as cheap as possible and perhaps start reading them whenever I feel like procrastinating A Level revision. I will definitely use them more seriously in the summer.

And if you have any wisdom or advice about your degree that you think is particularly important, I would love to hear it, such as how does the workload compare to A Levels and how to cope with it at university etc or anything else
Scienceisgood
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Nisr123)
I am in Year 13 and have four out of my five offers so far for a Biochemistry degree at various Russel Group universities. Even though it is early, I am looking to prepare myself for university as soon as possible because I actually cannot wait for A Levels to be over.

Anyone out there who is doing or has done a Biochemistry degree, what textbooks did you find you needed or used the most?

I would like to find a way to buy these books as cheap as possible and perhaps start reading them whenever I feel like procrastinating A Level revision. I will definitely use them more seriously in the summer.

And if you have any wisdom or advice about your degree that you think is particularly important, I would love to hear it, such as how does the workload compare to A Levels and how to cope with it at university etc or anything else
I'd recommend looking on the uni website and seeing if you can find any online specs for the modules you will be undertaking - they generally have reading lists you use to buy text books. Although a couple of general books I could recommend are the following;

1. Essential Cell Biology
2. Molecular Biology Of The Cell

Book 1 was useful in my module "Cell Biochemistry and Genetics"
The second book for myself was useful in the biochemistry section of "Drugs and Disease".

Be aware, I am taking Biomedical Science though, but I could recommend them. =)
alleycat393
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Uni websites are your best bet but I wouldn't recommend buying expensive books because you won't end up using them much in your second and third years and uni libraries have plenty of copies of essential books.
Soontobesuper
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
The two ones scienceisgood are a definent
also genetics by Terry Brown, Genes VI, and I used Briuce's chemistry textbook a lot in first year, not now though (im in 2nd)

I never brought any textbooks, theres always enough in the libary. If you REALLY want to buy one, molecular biology of the cell.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (65)
27.78%
As I expected (73)
31.2%
Harder (88)
37.61%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (8)
3.42%

Watched Threads