Louisb19
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
https://gyazo.com/bb72d5f49c5d646c63e28f4c52b7874a
https://gyazo.com/f975cdafca7192393382e04ccac48be7

The solution to this question isn't making much sense to me. I found the following:

| \vec{AD} | = 2l + x_1 + x_2

l = 2 x_1 + 4 x_2

In the solution they act as if  x_1 is going to be the same if the second spring was not there. It was my understanding that since:

mg = T_1 + T_2

If the second string was removed (such that the weight was attached to B)  x_1 would increase.
EricPiphany
Badges: 17
Report 5 years ago
Both strings support the same weight so they both extend as if the other wasn't there. Imagine a vey large elastic of the same material as a smaller one, the larger one would stretch more under the same force.
EricPiphany
Report 5 years ago
However if the two string were in parallel and not in series, the would be sharing the weight, and would not stretch as much. Think of a thicker elastic.
EricPiphany
Report 5 years ago
T_1=mg, T_2=mg this is a consequence of the fact that in this model the strings have no mass.
Louisb19
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by EricPiphany)
However if the two string were in parallel and not in series, the would be sharing the weight, and would not stretch as much. Think of a thicker elastic.
Well that makes a lot of sense. I didn't know that in series elastic materials worked like this. Does this idea extend to anything else I need to know?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (23)
8.52%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (38)
14.07%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (46)
17.04%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (38)
14.07%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (78)
28.89%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
17.41%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise