The Student Room Group

*The African Society [Part IX]*

Scroll to see replies

Original post by dmy15
Where did I say that?

You didn't say that directly but that's what you implied when you said "Lol isn't it obvious what I'd do. My love for them wouldn't change".
Reply 301
Original post by trapking
You didn't say that directly but that's what you implied when you said "Lol isn't it obvious what I'd do. My love for them wouldn't change".

Because it's obvious that from previous responses that I don't think homosexuality is wrong/a choice, therefore it wouldnt change the relationship between me and my child?
Original post by dmy15
Because it's obvious that from previous responses that I don't think homosexuality is wrong/a choice, therefore it wouldnt change the relationship between me and my child?

True but that isn't my point anyways it doesn't matter :smile:
Original post by StrawbAri
Question of the day:
What do you all think about homophobia, gay people and the treatment of gay people currently in Africa? It's almost like a default setting for us to be homophobic given that a lot of us were raised in ultra religious households and have been told homosexuality is bad. You constantly see people like bobrisky (google him ) and other even remotely queer Africans get bullied even today so they have to go into hiding. I've heard gay people in Lagos actually get married to other gay people (i.e. Gay man and gay woman get married) in order not to raise suspicion from the society but still pursue their kind of relationships secretly.
How was it like in your home? Are your parents accepting of it? If you were gay/lesbian would you ever tell them? If you're religious, what are your thoughts? Do you think us the younger generation should do something about the levels of homophobia still on our continent?

Edit: Did you guys know that before our colonial masters came homosexuality was common place on the continent? They were the one saying telling us it wasn't barbaric and made laws to stop it.

S/o @alexschmalex for the tag :h:

There is a similar attitude to homosexuality in the Caribbean, being gay where I'm from is illegal, although interestingly lesbians tend to receive less harsh sentences. My parents aren't as religious as many of my other black friends, but I think my mum is more accepting of homosexuality than my dad. Saying that, she doesn't agree with it but wouldn't necessarily treat anyone differently because they were gay. I think I would tell my parents, they'd come around but I know some of my family wouldn't be as accepting, particularly the older generation. Personally, I'm completely fine with homosexuality, what two consenting people do is none of my business. I do think there is still a problem within the black community, it would be good if we were more accepting of it. However, I do feel that people are slowly becoming more accepting, more music artists in primarily black genres are coming out and they generally receive positive reactions from it. Decades ago, you wouldn't think of a black man coming out as gay in the rap community, for example.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by alexschmalex

Do i seem white? :mad:
wallahi i dont act white. :slap:
Original post by PrincessBO$$
Do i seem white? :mad:
wallahi i dont act white. :slap:

I never give someone the privilege of assuming they're black unless I know for sure :wink:
Somalian in the house :colone:

High 5 to my fellow Somali!!!

I'm like the only Somali who grew up being confused for Nigerian, South African and Jamaican lol.

When I was younger I looked like an innocent cute black girl lol, with braided pigtails.

I also have relaxed my hair, but my natural hair was so much more LIT!! I encourage people not to relax too often, makes your hair fall out lol
Original post by MJlover

I'm like the only Somali who grew up being confused for Nigerian, South African and Jamaican lol.

When I was younger I looked like an innocent cute black girl lol, with braided pigtails.

I also have relaxed my hair, but my natural hair was so much more LIT!! I encourage people not to relax too often, makes your hair fall out lol

lol I look proper Somali I'm not shy from where I come from. I'm an African
I've never relaxed my hair my mum doesn't let me she said it will ruin my natural curls
Original post by MJlover

Your MJ? :colone: guess what I am?
Original post by MJlover

You are not the only one to not be recognised their own people :console:

You talking tribe talk fam?
What does mj stand for?
Who is following the AFCON?? Ivory Coast all the way
Original post by childofthesun

Has Cameroon been knocked out yet? Our team has gone to absolute **** since the beginning of this decade smh
Original post by alexschmalex
Has Cameroon been knocked out yet? Our team has gone to absolute **** since the beginning of this decade smh

No Cameroon is still in. African teams are too inconsistent lol :frown:

Me XD
Lets hope it is Ghana vs Ivory Coast final :teehee:
Original post by toonervoustotalk
Me XD
Lets hope it is Ghana vs Ivory Coast final :teehee:

Looool so we can beat you again like last time??
Looool so we can beat you again like last time??

:colonhash: lol no
We will beat you this time:u:
I'm Ugandan and Italian. Genetically I am similar to an Ethiopian or an Eritrean at most. But I am half caste.
If you're East African (Somalians, Ethiopians, Ugandans, Kenyans, Tanzanians, Egyptians, Sudanese's and Egyptians) quote me or follow me. I will follow you too. Also if you're north African and speak arabic because I do.

No am not majarteen lover, I am Michael Jackson lover!

Quick Reply

Latest