Controlled Assessment English, tips for comparing

Watch
bloxman28
Badges: 6
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
My exam board is AQA
This is my first controlled assessment for english and it would really help me out if you guys could give me some tips on comparing two texts. We are comparing The merchant of venice and Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. The theme is villainy

Some of the things I want to know are:
-How many PEA paragraphs to write
-How long the introduction and conclusion should be
-How many words should the assessment be
-General tips on comparing and analysing
Maz0110
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 6 years ago
Hey I did the same controlled assessment as you but with a different exam board (WJEC) and we had to compare Romeo and Juliet with two other poems on how they showed commitment.

The number of PEA paragraphs you should do just depends on how many points you want to make really, so I suggest you plan out what you want to say for each paragraph because it will give you a better idea of how you want to structure it.

The way I did mine was I would make a point on Romeo and juliet which was one PEA, then I would go on to talk about how this point is shown in one of the poems in another PEA. So for instance, my first point was how commitment is shown as being powerful in romeo and juliet which was one paragraph and the next paragraph was how it was shown as being powerful in the poem and then i would go back and forth between the two.
Make a list of the points you want to make (3 or 4 should be fine) of how the theme of villany is shown in the play and book. Each point would be two paragraphs; one for how villany is shown in the merchant of venice, the second para on how same point is shown in Jekyll and Hyde.

When it comes to comparing think of it as similarities and differences. So if the point is powerful, (just an example haven't read the books) how is villainy shown as being powerful in the merchant of venice? How is this then different or similar to how it is shown in Jekyll and Hyde? Then do this for each point.

Length does not matter what so ever as long as you get atleast 3 points down and you're overall point across. You're going to be mostly graded on your analysis because it's quality they care about not quantity. To analyse only use short quotes. If its a long quote try shorten it down cas it shows you're being specific which is key in analysing. To get A/A* pick one word out from the quote and focus on it and analyse on what it might suggest and mean. Then remember at the end of each paragraph to link it back to your point. Also think about the affect on the reader and why author may have done it.

Intro should only be a couple of sentences or a short paragraph. Just explain the definition of Villainy tbh. Conclusion should be a paragraph that brings everything together that you've said in the assessment. In other words, answer the question you're being asked to do for the assessment. Don't analyse, its more of your opinion. Another tip, don't use 'i think' anywhere when explaining because with out it you're assessment shows more confidence.

Hope this helps, sorry its long and sorry if I confused you. Good Luck with your controlled Assessment!
croftie4
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
OMG this has helped me so much, I have the comparing part of my CA tomorrow and I am really worried about it but Maz0110 you've really helped me decide how to plan it.
croftie4
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Oh and I'm also comparing R&J to two poems, exam board WJEC
Maz0110
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by croftie4)
Oh and I'm also comparing R&J to two poems, exam board WJEC
Good luck! Hope it goes well x
croftie4
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Maz0110)
Good luck! Hope it goes well x
I'm sure in part to the confidence your post gave me, I got a B1, so a solid B. I was so shocked I checked the name was mine. I won't lie I hated the controlled assessment, the stress and the time pressure but so pleased at the same time.

I'm not sure how the grade will impact my overall grade if I just do OK in the exam but at least I might scrape a C overall. Doing regular revision now and have started to learn of mice and men quotes
Maz0110
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by croftie4)
I'm sure in part to the confidence your post gave me, I got a B1, so a solid B. I was so shocked I checked the name was mine. I won't lie I hated the controlled assessment, the stress and the time pressure but so pleased at the same time.

I'm not sure how the grade will impact my overall grade if I just do OK in the exam but at least I might scrape a C overall. Doing regular revision now and have started to learn of mice and men quotes
Hey wow I just saw this and it's been two months since you posted this! And I hope you get the grade you want. For wjec English literature the coursework is 25/30% I believe? Either way it's the exams that we are going to have to work hard on. And I can totally relate where you said you hated the controlled assessment. For me the whole process was awful but I'm kind of grateful I have something to back me up if I don't do well in the exam. I feel sorry for the years below me who are going to have to do 100% exam. So just remember when you're walking into that exam, you're walking in already with a B. Wishing you all the best and again sorry for the late reply x
bloxman28
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Yes, just to let you guys know I finished my controlled assessment and ended up getting an A on it! Thanks a lot Maz0110 for your help.
To the people who have yet to do it, just remember that it is quality over quantity because I wrote only four sides and that still got me an 'A'. Some of my friends wrote 8 sides and got a 'B' so it really depends on the quality of analysis.
Maz0110
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by bloxman28)
Yes, just to let you guys know I finished my controlled assessment and ended up getting an A on it! Thanks a lot Maz0110 for your help.
To the people who have yet to do it, just remember that it is quality over quantity because I wrote only four sides and that still got me an 'A'. Some of my friends wrote 8 sides and got a 'B' so it really depends on the quality of analysis.
I'm so happy for you! and I'm really glad I could help xx
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

When did you submit your Ucas application if you applied to go to university this year?

September 2021 (29)
7.07%
October 2021 (189)
46.1%
November 2021 (42)
10.24%
December 2021 (54)
13.17%
January 2021 (45)
10.98%
I still haven't submitted it yet! (38)
9.27%