How do people get more than 11 GCSEs???!!!

Watch
Pillbottle
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Frankly I am confused about how some people have 14 GCSEs. There's

triple science (3),
English Lit and Language,(2)
Maths(1),
RE/RS (1) - in most schools
and then there are your 4 other options. In total that's 11 ---????
Are there subjects which get you more than 1 GCSE qualification that I'm unaware of?(other than those i named)
Vanilla Cupcake
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Some people do options outside of their timetable, do maths in year 10 and study additional/further maths in year 11, there's also the option of doing a GCSE in your native language
I for one also had an MFL as compulsory so there's that
danr2
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Foreign languages
HAnwar
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
iGCSEs count as well.
udsjufhbsg
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Methods in Mathematics
Applications of Mathematics
Statistics
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by MozartEd)

triple science (3),
Maths(1),
Are there subjects which get you more than 1 GCSE qualification that I'm unaware of?(other than those i named)
Two in Welsh were my extras
whatarethose
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
If you take some of your exams early, for example in year nine/ten or in November/December, you sometimes are given the option of taking on extra gcse's such as further maths, statistics, and so on.
Lelanor
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
At my school we have these subjects compulsory:
English Lit, English Language, Maths, Triple Science (a small amount drop to dual), PE (short or full course), RS, one language, one humanity. That's between 8.5 and 10. Then we have three extra options, so between 11.5 and 13. We also do a Level 1/2 Certificate in Preparation for Working Life, which is (apparently, although I'm not convinced) equivalent to a GCSE, so that's an extra one that you could count.Some people at my school do History a year early and do AS General Studies but that could leave room for doing another GCSE instead (so up to 14 GCSEs).Some people have a second language that they speak at home and do a GCSE in that language - I have a friend who did German in Year 8 or 9.Bear in mind that my school is a grammar school, and we also start GCSEs in Year 9, so we have to take more than the amount that most people take.
Lemur14
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
In our school you can get a maximum of 16.5- 15 and 3 halves

Compulsory:
English(x2) -taken in year 11
Maths(x1)- taken in year 11
Statistics- top set only (x1) -taken in year 10
Double science (x2) or triple science (x3) - taken in year 11
ECDL(x1 equivalent) -taken in year 10
RE(1/2)-taken in year 10
Citizenship (x1/2)- taken in year 9

Others:
5x options (yes, 5!) - 1 taken in year 9, 4 taken in year 11
Home language (x1) - very rarely done and when done, often taken in year 8
Twilight subject (x1)- taken in year 11
Enrichment (x1/2)-taken in year 11 - everybody does this, but only some options lead to any GCSE qualification

I suppose you could also study subjects out of school and take them in school as well.
Normal state secondary (with a lot of pupils - think 12 forms per year group with 30 in each at the max- and it's nowhere near full)
So, in our school the opportunity to get 14 is easy, though they also pull people out of options to do extra maths/English etc. so the reality is that many people don't get 14 or more.
Black Rose
  • Study Helper
Report 4 years ago

triple science (3),
Maths(1),
Some schools make you do more compulsory subjects like ICT, PE and Citizenship. :grumble:

Then we had to choose a humanities and foreign language subject as well! After that there were extra ones that you could do/had to do.

Some also have early entries as well, so entered early for an exam in Year 10 for example.
SM45367
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
its up to the school really... some schools, like said by posts above, allow students to take a GCSE in their native language a year/two years early. if you excel in a specific subject, they also may allow you to take it early such as maths. however, if your school just doesn't allow to take any GCSEs early, there's nothing you can really do besides sit the exam externally which the school definitely WON'T like. Also, if you wanted to do more than the usual everyone's doing in your school, you could learn all the theory outside of school/ after school i.e not in lesson time, and then you could ask your school if you're allowed to sit it there as a private candidate and they should allow it.

However, whether you're doing 11 GCSEs or 15 GCSEs it wont make a huge difference, because colleges acknowledge the fact that some schools just don't offer to take so many GCSEs so don't worry about it
CloakedSpartan
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
In my (grammar) school you can take up to 14 GCSEs, actually. 13 GCSEs time-tabled, and there's also a club you can join for doing Astronomy GCSE at lunchtimes. I do 13.

For instance (13 GCSEs, I follow this):

Maths
Further Maths (if in the top 60% of the year)
Biology
Chemistry
Physics
English Literature
English Language
Geography or History (Option A)
German or French (Option B)
Option C
Option D
Option E
Option F

Which comes to 13 GCSEs. 12 if you don't do Further Maths, 11 if you don't do Further Maths and do Double Science instead of triple (rare here). It's not that bad. Thirty 50-minute lessons a week, 6 a day. You usually have five lessons a fortnight for each GCSE you do, with the exception of Maths and English.
kkboyk
Report 4 years ago
Most people in my secondary school came out with more than 12 GCSEs and a few BTECs (which we did during yr9 fo ICT/Sports). They basically forced us to do Sciences, Maths, English Lit & Lang, Spanish/French, RS, History/Geo. We then had a choice of doing 3 GCSEs of our own choice.

We took some of our exams early during yr10, so it made yr11 a little less stressful,
Aimez
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Some schools do their GCSE's early. I know one school who starts GCSE stage in year 9. They take one lot of exams that year, then in Year 10 and another in Year 11 so therefore they will have more.

Some people do additional languages, which schools offer for them to do as GCSE's in the case they may want to go back and work in their country- they will need a GCSE in their language in order to get a job.

Also dance/ music / musical theatre grades can count as GCSE's when you add up your points of Sixth Form or college.
aieshacaitlin
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

triple science (3),
Maths(1),
Double media studies
Statistics or further maths
Vicky628
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I did 13, just what the school's policy is

Lit
Lang
Maths
Further Maths
Bio
Chem
Phys
RE
IT
History
Geography
Art
French

Didn't do any early
0lut0
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Lower ability students at my school gain an extra GCSE from the ECDL course.
barnetlad
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Surely the more important question is why? If you have Maths, English, an MFL, a science, maybe English Literature, and a couple of other subjects you like or are good at (total 7) all at A or A*, why put yourself through any more aggro and stress?

I have 8 by the way, having both French and German.
maryamk97
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
i did statistics, maths and further maths gcse's
yasaminO_o
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I have 15. We had to do at least Maths, English Lit, English Lang, Double Science, Philosophy and Short Course PE, and we had 5 other choices. One of my choices was Latin which gave me the chance to do both Latin Language and Latin Literature. I did Spanish and Greek after school and Turkish privately in Year 11/12.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (640)
33.51%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (806)
42.2%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (378)
19.79%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (86)
4.5%

Watched Threads